I've just bought a Garmin Emap

please don't tell me I have bought a dodo :-)

It is from ebay so probably won't have cables or instructions etc - will I be able to download co-ordinates onto it? I really like the idea of pocket queries and I got it for that but didn't think about it properly or research it properly!

It is from ebay so probably won't have cables or instructions etc - will I be able to download co-ordinates onto it? I really like the idea of pocket queries and I got it for that but didn't think about it properly or research it properly!

It's not a bad unit but I hope you didn't pay more than about $10 for it.

It's basic, but does allow you to add Garmin memory chips (expensive unless you can find some used) so it can hold older maps. Even the eTrex Legend is better, imho.

It's not waterproof, though, so don't get it wet!

It's basic, but does allow you to add Garmin memory chips (expensive unless you can find some used) so it can hold older maps. Even the eTrex Legend is better, imho.

I paid much more than that for it I am an idiot - would this be better? http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=739

I paid much more than that for it I am an idiot - would this be better? http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=739

Not really - I think you should keep looking if you can. If you're committed to buying the eMap it's not the end of the world, and except for the waterproof aspect, the eMap is better than the basic eTrex, in my opinion.

thanks everyone, I think I was sold on the idea that it shows maps and that you can use it in a car as well, so I could get rid of the nuvi and just have one GPS - I fell into geocaching by accident and bought the nuvi just for using in the car until someone said 'why don't you try geocaching' and I was hooked :-)

there don't seem to be any bargains around - ebay (in the uk) has mostly new gps's or second hand ones that are only a few quid cheaper than new. Maybe they get cheaper in the winter?

anyway, thanks again, next time I will not ebay at 7am on a saturday morning with a hangover :-)

A dual use GPS for car and geocaching is going to mean some compromises. The best setups for it (Garmin Oregon + City Navigator maps, IMHO) can be fairly expensive. Many people find that the best solution for them is a low-end auto unit plus a decent handheld.

yep, I think I'll keep the nuvi for the car cos it does the job and see how I get on with the emap, if it is no good I'll ebay it and look out for something better

thanks everyone, I think I was sold on the idea that it shows maps and that you can use it in a car as well, so I could get rid of the nuvi and just have one GPS - I fell into geocaching by accident and bought the nuvi just for using in the car until someone said 'why don't you try geocaching' and I was hooked :-)

there don't seem to be any bargains around - ebay (in the uk) has mostly new gps's or second hand ones that are only a few quid cheaper than new. Maybe they get cheaper in the winter?

anyway, thanks again, next time I will not ebay at 7am on a saturday morning with a hangover :-)

There is NO WAY you'll be getting rid of a Nuvi with an eMap.

The eMap is on the order of 8 years old - it's ancient. It was my first GPS receiver out of college (graduated in 2002). It does NOT do onboard routing from maps, and you cannot store maps in it without a proprietary memory chip that only Garmin sold (and is probably impossible to find these days).

This unit's frustrations (in terms of what you got for the price you paid for memory and proprietary cables) is what drove me away from Garmin for years. Their newer units are completely different now - more use of standard memory and interfaces than anyone else.

For road routing, even the most basic Nuvi is way beyond the eMap. The eMap cannot perform routing internally, and when you generate a route in MapSource, it only goes "intersection to intersection" and doesn't take into account curved roads.