run ins with the law

You do know there is a search function right? even though it is a highly useless one.

You might try browsing the forums to seek answers before posting questions.

Not trying to discourage you. I consider myself a newbie to this forum myself.

Your enthusiasm is refreshing.

im sure this has been covered, but has anyone ever had a run in with the law while geocaching?

what did you tell the cops?

You tell them the truth. Show them your GPS, explain what geocaching is, and tell them that you're looking for it. Assuming that you're not trespassing or otherwise breaking a law they most likely simply want to make sure that you're not doing something you shouldn't be doing.

I tell them that there is a WHOLE WORLD out there that they don't know about! There are people that are trying to control our minds, but we just have to be strong and control them back!

The GPSr is a device that shows us where the mind control is strong.

We can funnel our thoughts together and then, by the time we think it over 10 times, the channeling leads to an energy surge that creates absolute power. If the cops will just concentrate they can feel it too...

They pretty much leave me alone after that. :(:laughing:

I tell them that there is a WHOLE WORLD out there that they don't know about! There are people that are trying to control our minds, but we just have to be strong and control them back!

We can funnel our thoughts together and then, by the time we think it over 10 times, the channeling leads to an energy surge that creates absolute power. If the cops will just concentrate they can feel it too...

They pretty much leave me alone after that. :(:(

And what has the bail usually been set at in the morning after the hearing? :laughing:

So there I am, late at night, searching for a cache that had about 10 DNFs and no FTFs, when a car parks in behind mine. Mmmm thinks I, some late night cachers as well, maybe we can join in a combined search?

Of cause they turned out to be the cops, and they were interested to know what I was up to.

Having been one of the 10 previous DNFers, I had no GPS, or paperwork etc, to back up my lame story, as I already knew where GZ was, just not where the cache was. So I gave them the speil about geocaching, and suggested that maybe they could help me find the cache...Strangely enough they declined, gave me some weird looks and left me to it. Just no sense of adventure in our local law enforcers...

And what has the bail usually been set at in the morning after the hearing? :laughing:

No bail will get you out when they lock you in the psyc ward until the experts can determine you are not a danger to yourself or others.

No bail will get you out when they lock you in the psyc ward until the experts can determine you are not a danger to yourself or others.

Wooop, wooop, woohoo! :D:D Actually the cops would run from you if they thought you were truly crazy, and not just razzing them. It's a fine line. :D

Not really, thats only in Florida where they "Baker Act" you for 72 hours or so. Everywhere else they just search your car, and let ya go. :D

Not really, thats only in Florida where they "Baker Act" you for 72 hours or so. Everywhere else they just search your car, and let ya go. :D

And here, crazy takes more paperwork. Easier to say disturbing the peace and/or resisting.

So there I am, late at night, searching for a cache that had about 10 DNFs and no FTFs, when a car parks in behind mine. Mmmm thinks I, some late night cachers as well, maybe we can join in a combined search?

Of cause they turned out to be the cops, and they were interested to know what I was up to.

Having been one of the 10 previous DNFers, I had no GPS, or paperwork etc, to back up my lame story, as I already knew where GZ was, just not where the cache was. So I gave them the speil about geocaching, and suggested that maybe they could help me find the cache...Strangely enough they declined, gave me some weird looks and left me to it. Just no sense of adventure in our local law enforcers...

If that ever happens again, immediately take off running towards GZ. That way the cop will have a reason to get out and run, thus working off some of the extra Krispy Kremes he had for breakfast. Of course you could have a lot of fun talking witht the other hostages in the cell at the station and the lawyer might be expensive but if you win the lawsuit you might just come out ahead.

Remember, as your defense, tell the authorities that there are quite a few cops who are geocachers and you were just trying to beat him to the FTF.

If that ever happens again, immediately take off running towards GZ. That way the cop will have a reason to get out and run, thus working off some of the extra Krispy Kremes he had for breakfast. Of course you could have a lot of fun talking witht the other hostages in the cell at the station and the lawyer might be expensive but if you win the lawsuit you might just come out ahead.

Remember, as your defense, tell the authorities that there are quite a few cops who are geocachers and you were just trying to beat him to the FTF.

No, you run towards GZ and when you get there pretend to toss something. Eventually the cops will find the cache, and as long as they don't sign the logbook, then you get to claim FTF! :laughing:

No your Honor, I wasn't resisting arrest. I just didn't like that they were geocaching while on their shift, and using their squad car spot lights to light up GZ. Well yes, I did get a little suspicious when they put me in handcuffs in the back of the cruiser....but we all know that FTF hounds will go to almost any length. And so that's why I had to kick the window out. But really, it was just unfair to expect me cache after being 'tazed like that! And I sincerely hope that your Honor will take that into consideration in deciding who gets the FTF. :laughing:

Actually, I think that if you wait for you to be discovered while caching, its too late. I suggest walking in to your nearest police precinct and plunk down a nice big 50 cal. ammo can on the counter. And ask to speak with someone because you think that you need to tell them about these things that you've been hiding all around the area. Someone will certainly be more than happy to help you out. :laughing:

No, you run towards GZ and when you get there pretend to toss something. Eventually the cops will find the cache, and as long as they don't sign the logbook, then you get to claim FTF! :(

Hey!! I LIKE that idea!!

No your Honor, I wasn't resisting arrest. I just didn't like that they were geocaching while on their shift, and using their squad car spot lights to light up GZ. Well yes, I did get a little suspicious when they put me in handcuffs in the back of the cruiser....but we all know that FTF hounds will go to almost any length. And so that's why I had to kick the window out. But really, it was just unfair to expect me cache after being 'tazed like that! And I sincerely hope that your Honor will take that into consideration in deciding who gets the FTF. :laughing:

You know what's funny is that many people think that when the police arrive near you you are to stop what you are doing and stand at attention. The US isn't a military wstablishment and people are supposed to be free. Until the police have a valid reason to detain you, you are free to pursue your happiness.

Of course your life can become quite miserable while you are attempting to assert your freedom so keep that in mind.

Having said all that, I have run from the police before just to mess with them. I wasn't doing anything wrong but the cop saw me running so he took off after me. I don't know what he told everyone else but, at least, I know he never caught me so he will never know that I ran just to mess with him.

Of course there is the other time where everyone else ran and I didn't. The cop asked why I didn't run too and I just said "Cuz I didn't do anything illegal" and that was that.

Twice actually. The first time a police officer was just seeing if our car was broken down. The second time we were walking along this deadend road along a river when this police car comes ripping up on us. I fully expected to have to tell him about Geocaching as the police officer waves us up to the car. Instead he asked if we have seen a red car or a man who looked like whatever he said at the time. We answered no but then someone came over his radio telling him the car had been spotted a few blocks away. He sped off, and we decided we should probably get the two caches another day.

No, you run towards GZ and when you get there pretend to toss something. Eventually the cops will find the cache, and as long as they don't sign the logbook, then you get to claim FTF! :(

Hey!! I LIKE that idea!!

You know what's funny is that many people think that when the police arrive near you you are to stop what you are doing and stand at attention. The US isn't a military wstablishment and people are supposed to be free. Until the police have a valid reason to detain you, you are free to pursue your happiness.

Of course your life can become quite miserable while you are attempting to assert your freedom so keep that in mind.

Having said all that, I have run from the police before just to mess with them. I wasn't doing anything wrong but the cop saw me running so he took off after me. I don't know what he told everyone else but, at least, I know he never caught me so he will never know that I ran just to mess with him.

Of course there is the other time where everyone else ran and I didn't. The cop asked why I didn't run too and I just said "Cuz I didn't do anything illegal" and that was that.

Serious this time....I hear what you're saying and not saying I disagree with you, but....every few months I spend a 10 hour shift riding with LEO here. One thing that really really hit home with me is that they are taught that when they stop a vehicle and are then walking up to it, they run their hand up the rear quarter-panel of the vehicle. I asked why. Was told that it was because if something very bad happens then at least they have left some of their DNA and prints on the vehicle. So, yes I have the right to be doing what I'm doing when caching....but every situation is a potentially dangerous one for the LEO...and I'd prefer to not be a part of that. Safer to just politely explain what I'm doing.

BTW....every time I'm riding with a LEO I take the time to explain geocaching to them. All officers have thought it was quite interesting (one even went with me to find a cache!), but not one of them had heard of it before and until I showed them they thought that perhaps I was yanking their chain. So they truly have no idea of what you are REALLY doing...just lots of ideas of what you MIGHT be doing (and many if not most of those would be bad things). And one thing that I've thought about...at night, holding the right kind of GPS in your hand, looks a little bit like a small gun (antenna looking like a barrel).

Serious this time....I hear what you're saying and not saying I disagree with you, but....every few months I spend a 10 hour shift riding with LEO here. One thing that really really hit home with me is that they are taught that when they stop a vehicle and are then walking up to it, they run their hand up the rear quarter-panel of the vehicle. I asked why. Was told that it was because if something very bad happens then at least they have left some of their DNA and prints on the vehicle. So, yes I have the right to be doing what I'm doing when caching....but every situation is a potentially dangerous one for the LEO...and I'd prefer to not be a part of that. Safer to just politely explain what I'm doing.

BTW....every time I'm riding with a LEO I take the time to explain geocaching to them. All officers have thought it was quite interesting (one even went with me to find a cache!), but not one of them had heard of it before and until I showed them they thought that perhaps I was yanking their chain. So they truly have no idea of what you are REALLY doing...just lots of ideas of what you MIGHT be doing (and many if not most of those would be bad things). And one thing that I've thought about...at night, holding the right kind of GPS in your hand, looks a little bit like a small gun (antenna looking like a barrel).

Note to self...

Wash rear quarter panel(s) of vehicle...

I've thought of this too so when the police show up I ALWAYS make sure the GPS is visible as a GPS. I hold it by the sides.

Twice actually. The first time a police officer was just seeing if our car was broken down. The second time we were walking along this deadend road along a river when this police car comes ripping up on us. I fully expected to have to tell him about Geocaching as the police officer waves us up to the car. Instead he asked if we have seen a red car or a man who looked like whatever he said at the time. We answered no but then someone came over his radio telling him the car had been spotted a few blocks away. He sped off, and we decided we should probably get the two caches another day.

That would have been the perfect time to get those caches. The bad guy was confirmed to be blocks away and the local constabulary were busy dealing with him.

Note to self...

Wash rear quarter panel(s) of vehicle...

I've thought of this too so when the police show up I ALWAYS make sure the GPS is visible as a GPS. I hold it by the sides.

Another "interesting" thing I learned...as we would drive along I'd point out areas that I knew had caches. The scary part was when they'd sometimes tell me that if they were me, they'd avoid some of those places as they are known drug drops, high crime areas with lots of assaults and such. And they even shared some things about pay phones that have had me put those on my lists of caches that I probably won't go after.

So LEO has lots on their mind when they see us all by ourselves, doing some things that look like they could be bad things (finding/re-hiding caches could sure look like you're looking for a drug drop).

At the risk of hijacking this thread all of this has had me thinking about whether or not I carry my own weapon when caching. I have a concealed weapons permit, and you can open carry in Virginia anyway. But on the one hand have been out by myself thinking that my gun would be welcome, but on the other hand thought that seeing that would simply heighten the tension. So I wonder how many of us to carry our weapons when caching.

Another "interesting" thing I learned...as we would drive along I'd point out areas that I knew had caches. The scary part was when they'd sometimes tell me that if they were me, they'd avoid some of those places as they are known drug drops, high crime areas with lots of assaults and such. And they even shared some things about pay phones that have had me put those on my lists of caches that I probably won't go after.

So LEO has lots on their mind when they see us all by ourselves, doing some things that look like they could be bad things (finding/re-hiding caches could sure look like you're looking for a drug drop).

At the risk of hijacking this thread all of this has had me thinking about whether or not I carry my own weapon when caching. I have a concealed weapons permit, and you can open carry in Virginia anyway. But on the one hand have been out by myself thinking that my gun would be welcome, but on the other hand thought that seeing that would simply heighten the tension. So I wonder how many of us to carry our weapons when caching.

Drug drop locations are such because people generally don't frequent the area. Adding geocaches would add traffic. Adding traffic makes them less desirable for nefarious purposes.

Geocachers shouldn't avoid those places but they should be careful.

Drug drop locations are such because people generally don't frequent the area. Adding geocaches would add traffic. Adding traffic makes them less desirable for nefarious purposes.

Geocachers shouldn't avoid those places but they should be careful.

You might think that but from what I've learned from the ride alongs, in addition to what was presented at the citizens police academy, is that they want areas that have enough traffic so that anyone coming by doesn't stick out the way they would if nobody was in the area. As I understand it, it's more about whether they're bothered by the police in an area than whether you or I come to it, and I doubt that they're going to cede an area just because some folks with GPS show up (and perhaps they might even consider you invading their turf). Personally, if a police officer tells me that he/she wouldn't themselves geocache in a particular area I think then that I'll avoid it myself.

running from the cops under any circumstance is a horrible idea.

from my experiences dumpster diving, speeding, and spray painting run ins with the cops are easily handled if you follow these simple steps.

1) Never ever run, cops LOVE to pretend to be real cops, they get lame calls all the time, and any chance they have to run down a suspect is their bread and butter. If they catch you they will throw you on the ground, and heavily restrain you, and talking your way out of anything after running is extremely tough. when you run from cops you are immediately looking guilty of something. why risk it?

2) as soon as you see or hear a cop approaching you place your hands in full view, you dont need ot hold them above your head, that makes you look rediculous, and potentially guilty of something. just have them out, and drop anything you have in them, or explain to the cops that you are holding a very expensive gps, or phone, and show it to them open handed, if cops see you with your hands in your clothes, or on an object of any kind they cant make out they are taught to automatically assume its a weapon of some sort you have, and they will and are legally allowed to shoot you if they feel they are in danger, so NEVER stick your hands in your pockets, or clothes once confronted...

***If you are in your car, or being pulled over, always keep your hands up on the steering wheel, and free of anything at all, when they ask for your liscence and registration, tell them breifly where it is and ask permission to get it, "officer, its in my glove box, can i get it?" this makes the officer aware you are going to grab something out of your glove box, or from under the seat, and they will know where to watch you, this is great for them because it prevents you from making any sudden movements that may make the cop feel in danger. people do some really stupid crap to cops, so cops are just as much on edge when they pull people over and investigate suspicious people as you are to be hassled by them, dont give them any reason to be suspicious of you

3) Always be polite, and calm, and refer to them as "officer" yes officer, no officer, suck up to cops, sure you want to firebomb every last bloodsucking one of them for busting you and not the real criminals, like politicians, or insurance companies, but in the event you are detained by them be polite, it will get you a long way, and generally even in the case of traffic stops can get you off with just a warning.

4) be honest but be brief, even when i was doing illegal stuff like graffiti, I would tell the cops i had intended to, but didnt get a chance to spray anything, they would dismiss the cans of paint in my bag, and let me go after a warning. if you are geocaching, tell them "hey look, i was out looking for this geocache, which is a treasure box hidden by people all over the world, as part of an online game, and i guess i just chose the wrong time of day to go looking for it." thats all you need to say.

if you really want to get on the cops good side, ask them for directions, they have a quota little known to most people of # of helping people do things they have to fill once a month, changing someones tire, helping them with directions, helping old ladys cross the street, this is a sort of public service quota they have to fill, and if you ask them for directions to say near another cache, they can write it off as one of these community service quotas, they love that crap they eat it up.

any other good tips?

from my experiences dumpster diving, speeding, and spray painting run ins with the cops are easily handled if you follow these simple steps.

1) Never ever run, cops LOVE to pretend to be real cops, they get lame calls all the time, and any chance they have to run down a suspect is their bread and butter. If they catch you they will throw you on the ground, and heavily restrain you, and talking your way out of anything after running is extremely tough. when you run from cops you are immediately looking guilty of something. why risk it?

2) as soon as you see or hear a cop approaching you place your hands in full view, you dont need ot hold them above your head, that makes you look rediculous, and potentially guilty of something. just have them out, and drop anything you have in them, or explain to the cops that you are holding a very expensive gps, or phone, and show it to them open handed, if cops see you with your hands in your clothes, or on an object of any kind they cant make out they are taught to automatically assume its a weapon of some sort you have, and they will and are legally allowed to shoot you if they feel they are in danger, so NEVER stick your hands in your pockets, or clothes once confronted...

***If you are in your car, or being pulled over, always keep your hands up on the steering wheel, and free of anything at all, when they ask for your liscence and registration, tell them breifly where it is and ask permission to get it, "officer, its in my glove box, can i get it?" this makes the officer aware you are going to grab something out of your glove box, or from under the seat, and they will know where to watch you, this is great for them because it prevents you from making any sudden movements that may make the cop feel in danger. people do some really stupid crap to cops, so cops are just as much on edge when they pull people over and investigate suspicious people as you are to be hassled by them, dont give them any reason to be suspicious of you

3) Always be polite, and calm, and refer to them as "officer" yes officer, no officer, suck up to cops, sure you want to firebomb every last bloodsucking one of them for busting you and not the real criminals, like politicians, or insurance companies, but in the event you are detained by them be polite, it will get you a long way, and generally even in the case of traffic stops can get you off with just a warning.

4) be honest but be brief, even when i was doing illegal stuff like graffiti, I would tell the cops i had intended to, but didnt get a chance to spray anything, they would dismiss the cans of paint in my bag, and let me go after a warning. if you are geocaching, tell them "hey look, i was out looking for this geocache, which is a treasure box hidden by people all over the world, as part of an online game, and i guess i just chose the wrong time of day to go looking for it." thats all you need to say.

if you really want to get on the cops good side, ask them for directions, they have a quota little known to most people of # of helping people do things they have to fill once a month, changing someones tire, helping them with directions, helping old ladys cross the street, this is a sort of public service quota they have to fill, and if you ask them for directions to say near another cache, they can write it off as one of these community service quotas, they love that crap they eat it up.

any other good tips?

All good advice but it undermines the concept of "innocent until proven guilty", the spirit of the US constitution, and reinforces the degradation of the concept that the police are our servants and not our gatekeepers.

The important thing to consider is that if you aren't doing anything illegal then the police are YOUR servant. Bowing down to an overzealous cop might be the "right" thing to do in the moment but it's also the wrong thing to do in the grand scheme of things.

any other good tips?

All good advice but it undermines the concept of "innocent until proven guilty", the spirit of the US constitution, and reinforces the degradation of the concept that the police are our servants and not our gatekeepers.

The important thing to consider is that if you aren't doing anything illegal then the police are YOUR servant. Bowing down to an overzealous cop might be the "right" thing to do in the moment but it's also the wrong thing to do in the grand scheme of things.

Wow. Getting a bit OT I think, but you'd be hard pressed to find the definition of "police" to include being "YOUR servant" as at least in the U.S. the role of the police is to enforce the law, protect property and prevent civil disorder. I can recall pretty clearly from classes taken that the police don't serve anyone. :P

What is sad is how some seem to hate the police; until they need them.

There's a difference between hatred and lack of respect. I don't hate the police. I dislike many of the things the individuals do and I dislike many of the the individual officers. In reality I dislike anyone who attempts to get respect by instilling fear.

You do know there is a search function right? even though it is a highly useless one.

Have you tried the "Search" function? It doesn't even let you Search for "Maps" because the query has to have at least 5 Letters. I've found it severely lacking.

What is sad is how some seem to hate the police; until they need them.

There's a difference between hatred and lack of respect. I don't hate the police. I dislike many of the things the individuals do and I dislike many of the the individual officers. In reality I dislike anyone who attempts to get respect by instilling fear.

Excellent point(s) bittsen. I believe what you are referring to is the "John Wayne" syndrome. Nearly all cops go through that but, sometimes they will see and recognize it for what it is. Sometimes aging is a good thing, sometimes it don't do anything 'cept make a person older.

It sounds as though you have met a few "John Wayne" types. :P

Haven't you met any that have "outgrown" it?

I have run into police 2 times. Both times they were aware of geocaching. The first time I was caching and it had just started to get dark. An officer parked by my car. He didn't even get out. When I walked up, I said Hello, I am just geocaching. He replied, that's what I thought, how did you make out?

The second time while looking for a cache, the officer asked me if I was geocaching.

Both times were in different jurisdictions.

Its good to see well informed police.

Have you tried the "Search" function? It doesn't even let you Search for "Maps" because the query has to have at least 5 Letters. I've found it severely lacking.

Please stay on topic. Thanks.

Excellent point(s) bittsen. I believe what you are referring to is the "John Wayne" syndrome. Nearly all cops go through that but, sometimes they will see and recognize it for what it is. Sometimes aging is a good thing, sometimes it don't do anything 'cept make a person older.

Yes, i have met officers who have outgrown the John Wayne phase and I've als met the barney Fife types but both of those types don't get talked about because they aren't the ones who hassle people for no good reason.

I guess I am just a bit biased since I spend a number of hours working in the jail each week and I happen to have family in law enforcement.

If you knew the crap they have to deal with on a daily basis you might change your attitude towards the law enforcement community.

I have family in the looney bin but that doesn't make me believe that all people who are in the looney bin are good people.

I know what some officers have to deal with. And many of them overcompensate by hassling people when they don't need to. I don't care what profession someone is in, their actions dictate whether or not they are a jerk. The comment "they are just doing their job" is far too wide of a brush to paint with. The reality is that life has lots of fine lines and, yeah, they need to do something when people cross the line. Unfortunately, some cops think they need to place the line and aren't very good at it.

Yes, i have met officers who have outgrown the John Wayne phase and I've als met the barney Fife types but both of those types don't get talked about because they aren't the ones who hassle people for no good reason.

I guess I am just a bit biased since I spend a number of hours working in the jail each week and I happen to have family in law enforcement.

If you knew the crap they have to deal with on a daily basis you might change your attitude towards the law enforcement community.

I have family in the looney bin but that doesn't make me believe that all people who are in the looney bin are good people.

I know what some officers have to deal with. And many of them overcompensate by hassling people when they don't need to. I don't care what profession someone is in, their actions dictate whether or not they are a jerk. The comment "they are just doing their job" is far too wide of a brush to paint with. The reality is that life has lots of fine lines and, yeah, they need to do something when people cross the line. Unfortunately, some cops think they need to place the line and aren't very good at it.

Nothing wrong with what you say, to a point. The problem I see with your posts on the subject is that you use too broad a brush to paint the police with. Most are just trying to do a tough job to the best of their ability. Do they make mistakes? Sure, but not every one of those mistakes deserve a hearing in front of the supreme court and a big settlement. The number of officers who are truly rotten is small. But like with any other group those are the ones you hear about most.

Nothing wrong with what you say, to a point. The problem I see with your posts on the subject is that you use too broad a brush to paint the police with. Most are just trying to do a tough job to the best of their ability. Do they make mistakes? Sure, but not every one of those mistakes deserve a hearing in front of the supreme court and a big settlement. The number of officers who are truly rotten is small. But like with any other group those are the ones you hear about most.

And, apparantly, the ones I interact with most. (OK, not true but those few who are jerks shed a really bad light on the rest)

Of course. I think that any geocacher that has a couple of hundred finds under their belt has been questioned at least once. For me it's been 3. I aways explain Geocaching and as long as you are on public land there's no problem. The best one though, I was in a Wildlife Management Area searching for a hide when I heard a police radio. I knew exactly what was going on. I had parked by the nearby power lines and the police wanted to know why I was there. I told him what I was doing and he said "happy caching". Do we have a convert?

im sure this has been covered, but has anyone ever had a run in with the law while geocaching?

what did you tell the cops?

Yes, and we told them that we were geocaching.

It was about this time that we became convinced that a whole lot of urban micro size geocaches are located on private property and/or are hidden in very inappropriate places. Places that give just cause for law enforcement to become involved and interested in our presence to an extent that would not otherwise occur.

They pretty much leave me alone after that. :P:P

Tell the folks here about our geocaching encounter with school kids in the woods behind the playground, some bad mad Moms and lots of cops! :):D:D

I'll have to find a link to the tale about Bubbacache and our low-speed cache-to-cache police chase in Birmingham. :P

Of course. I think that any geocacher that has a couple of hundred finds under their belt has been questioned at least once. For me it's been 3. I aways explain Geocaching and as long as you are on public land there's no problem. The best one though, I was in a Wildlife Management Area searching for a hide when I heard a police radio. I knew exactly what was going on. I had parked by the nearby power lines and the police wanted to know why I was there. I told him what I was doing and he said "happy caching". Do we have a convert?

I really feel neglected. I have a few more than a couple hundred under my belt and have never, as in not at all, been questioned by the the boys in blue, brown or khaki. I guess I'll have to content myself with being confronted irate and p.o. land owners. Somehow I think the cops are easier to deal with.

Really? We do? I must not have gotten the memo.

While I concur with your notion that running from "the cops" just to mess with them is, perhaps, the most idiotic thing I've ever read on these forums, and the rest of your tips seem to be grounded in good advice, (though perhaps a bit on the paranoid side), this notion of quotas just has me scratching my head.

My advice?

Look them straight in the eyes and tell them the truth.

I had one run in with a security guard. He thought it best that we take a short walk to his office and talk to his superior. I was proactive and started with the premise that to be a superior, he would certainly have to know about geocaching. So, I said: "I assume you are aware of geocaching, where people use GPS units to locate things that are hidden and their coordinates posted on the internet. Well, I was looking for one of those. You can look on the internet at geocaching.com for the latest information on it." I don't know whether he knew about geocaching or not, but he was not going to admit being ignorant of it. Matter over.

I had two visits with the regular police. Again, I was proactive. In the first incident, I noticed a cop car pulling into the driveway, stopping to watch me, and then moving on. I decided it would be best to go over and greet him and make sure everything was cool. He told me I was looking in the wrong place. It saved me a DNF.

Most recently, I wanted to grab a cache in a park. As I walked toward GZ, I noticed a police car parked nearby and facing GZ. So, I walked up to the car, greeted the officer and said: "I'm going to be doing something very suspicious looking over by that picnic area. Its not illegal or dangerous, but I figured I'd tell you first. I think your department is aware of a game called geocaching that is done using a GPS to find things. Well, I think one of those is hidden over there. So when I'm looking for it, it may look suspicious, but its not a problem." It was not a problem.

Well, I am too new to have had any run ins. But I guess I may as well admit that I do carry a firearm for self-defense. This alone makes it scarier to encounter police. There is no telling how an officer is going to react to this, if the fact is discovered (concealed is concealed, afterall). It happens all the time at traffic stops--some officers freak out and put their hands on their weapons, and some just ask where it is and tell you to leave it alone.

The police can't be expected to know that I am a non-threat until they investigate, but that investigation can get uncomfortable and infuriating.

But that stuff goes with the territory. I have to agree with those who advocate just telling the truth. I feel no need to lie to police about my presence or activities. If an officer asks me if I have any weapons, I will answer truthfully, and go from there. Lying and creating a scene will not only cause trouble for myself, but could also damage the reputation of gun owners and geocachers.

That said, I won't lick boots, either.

Well, I am too new to have had any run ins. But I guess I may as well admit that I do carry a firearm for self-defense. This alone makes it scarier to encounter police. There is no telling how an officer is going to react to this, if the fact is discovered (concealed is concealed, afterall). It happens all the time at traffic stops--some officers freak out and put their hands on their weapons, and some just ask where it is and tell you to leave it alone.

The police can't be expected to know that I am a non-threat until they investigate, but that investigation can get uncomfortable and infuriating.

But that stuff goes with the territory. I have to agree with those who advocate just telling the truth. I feel no need to lie to police about my presence or activities. If an officer asks me if I have any weapons, I will answer truthfully, and go from there. Lying and creating a scene will not only cause trouble for myself, but could also damage the reputation of gun owners and geocachers.

That said, I won't lick boots, either.

Own a gun...or lick boots. Lick boots....or own a gun.

A true puzzlement that I wrestle with ever day.