The entire forum in one post

1. 50% of people hate micros, 40% hate the people who hate micros, 10% wish everyone could just get along.

2. Swag in and given cache tends to go from awesome to trash over time. This is worth complaining about.

3. There is no rating system. There might be one someday. at least 90% of this forum is dedicated to this debate.

4. Sometimes caches are mistaken for bombs. It's very exciting when this happens

5. unique cache containers can be seen here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=62421. It's one of the best parts of the whole website.

6. Everyone wants assurance that they are no longer a "noob." People's comments on the internet are a good thing to find your identity in.

7. Signature item pictures. "I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours..."

8. GPSr questions. As far as I can tell, no one's GPS actually ever works. Also, no one knows how to post in the right forum.

9. Complaining. Because ranting and raving about park-and-grabs on the internet is more effective than not looking for them.

10. Everyone wishes they were out caching instead of looking at these boring, redundant message boards. I know I do.

4. Sometimes caches are mistaken for bombs. It's very exciting when this happens
+1

11. Your cache name can be changed by emailing contact@geocaching.com with the new name you want and a good reason. Verify the new name is not taken first.

12. You cannot delete a log on your cache's page because of a minor typo.

13. <sarcasm>Reviewers don't have lives outside of Geocaching, so if your cache is not reviewed, approved, and listed the instant you click Submit, it is necessary to post a topic asking what is going on. </sarcasm>

14. Your vehicle Travel Bug decal is for Discovering only. Do not attempt to insert your vehicle into a cache.

15. Premium Memberships offer many benefits that you can only experience if you pony up. You will not experience them just by asking us to describe them to you.

16. If you're having a problem with your computer, reboot it and try whatever you were doing again.

17. Test posts must go in the designated test topic. If you can catch one of the test topics the noobs create before it is closed, you can post in it and remind the noob to go to the designated topic. A mod will then lock the topic without posting in it (since there's no point repeating what you just said) and create the illusion you closed the topic.

18. You cannot list the temporary caches you hid for your child's birthday party on Geocaching.com.

19. Travel Bugs are meant to move around by hopping from cache to cache. They can be transferred between cachers, but don't mail them or leave them in the travel section of a bookstore.

20. After finding a cache, there is paperwork to be done. Let out your inner lawyer and fill out the logbook, lest your online log is deleted and you will need to come to the forums to complain.

Edited by BCProspectors

22. You can't get a locationless cache icon or a ten year anniversary event icon anymore.

23. Rogue reviewers are still reviewers and don't forget it.

24. Someone who steals caches might get in trouble or they might not.

25. Don't place caches in playgrounds unless you like placing caches in playgrounds.

26. When you are traveling, take time to find a bunch of caches. Or not.

27. Wasn't Mitsuko pretty?

28. Answering questions with questions belongs in the off topic forum, which you could see if you had a premium membersip.

29. Another lamp post?

30. Don't hide a cache until you have found a hundred unless it's a really good cache and you have something besides an iPhone to use to get the coordinates.

Okay, a lot of these are subsections of number 9.

Edited by Erickson

8. GPSr questions. As far as I can tell, no one's GPS actually ever works. Also, no one knows how to post in the right forum.

May I elaborate on this? (I won't actually wait for an answer and will go ahead anyway):

When you post about an issue with your GPS, USE DETAIL!!! Nobody can help you with "I'm having trouble typing in coordinates" but if you say "When I type in coordinates the third last digit can't be higher than 5. I'm using WGS86 datum and hh*mm'ss.s positioning format" then people will tell you to switch to decimal minutes. I used this method and got an answer in about 5 minutes. Some people use the first method and it takes a couple of days because they're always unwilling to give out "personal data"

31. before you post a new thread, go to google. search: [whatever you were about to make a new thread about] site:forums.Groundspeak.com. You will never have to deal with people snapping at you for mentioning something you thought was some brilliant idea you came up with, but somebody comes up with it every month.

32. when you post to a topic, check the date of the last post. If it was last posted in 5 years ago, DO NOT POST

33. Caches are meant to be found and put back where they were. Do not trade this cache with your own sandwich container or steal the cache outright.

34. I know this is futile, but trade up or trade even with swag (those little toys in a geocache that are generally good when the cache is new and a couple of toys you'd get from a happy meal at the best after a few months...)

35. do NOT place food in caches, as this attracts wildlife.

36. do NOT post a "needs maintenance" log just because you can't find the cache, and assume it's missing based on that.

37. Travel bugs and geocoins are intended to be put back into a cache when you can. Follow their goal if they have one, and log them online so that people don't go looking for them when they aren't in a cache

38. Put the cache back where you found it or (somewhat) better. If you found the cache in some bushes by the sidewalk, do not move it a foot or so onto the sidewalk. If you found it in a tree, hide it back in the tree, not on the ground. or the other way around. If you find it on the ground and the cache description says it's a tree-climb, put it up in the tree.

39. Be subtle. If you shout out "I found it!!!!!" that draws attention to the geocache and will likely get it stolen. If you sneak around, people will think you look suspicious and watch you, which will also endanger the geocache.

40. I can't believe I have to say this, but read this and this and browse through the links here also, read this before hiding a cache, which you shouldn't do until you're no longer a newb anyway...

Modified #1

20% of people hate micros, 10% of those are extremely vocal about it, 99% hate the people who are vocal about hating micros, 10% wish everyone could just get along.

35% of all people have problems with percent calculations. that's more than half the population!

I had my cache stolen/muggled/put back improperly/urinated in.

Let's discuss GPS accuracy.

I'm not clear on the whole FTF thing.

What's the best cache you've ever found?

What's the best cache container you've ever found?

Another thread about bug repellent and/or poison ivy.

I need help with a puzzle cache.

#42 Some new cacher with lots of enthusiasm and a 2:1 post:find ratio in one short month of caching will complain that guidelines are unnecessary and overbearing and too long to bother reading.

(And as we all know, 42 is the answer to everything.)

Edited by wimseyguy

If someone cannot refute your point or counter with a successful counter-argument, they will look at your profile and use [number/size/types/member status/length of membership/gallery] against you instead.

That's completely incorrect. How can you say that? You haven't been caching a year yet, and only have 300 finds or so..

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

If someone cannot refute your point or counter with a successful counter-argument, they will look at your profile and use [number/size/types/member status/length of membership/gallery] against you instead.

That's completely incorrect. How can you say that? You haven't been caching a year yet, and only have 300 finds or so..

Now really, you've been caching for 8 years, you should know to put a sarcasm smiley by now... :P

Now really, you've been caching for 8 years, you should know to put a sarcasm smiley by now... :P

I initially did, but then edited it out to make the dry humour more realistic.

Anyone with over 1000 finds, or 100 hides is some sort of Geonutcase and should be mocked and flamed at every opportunity.

But if you've been in it since the beginning, that translates into about 1:3.5 caches:day. Compare that to the people who have over 100 in a single day. Unless they find no other caches for the entire rest of the year, they're the nutcases...

P.S. I saw this at the bottom of your profile:

*Total Caches Found 1172

and might I also mention:

*Total Caches Hidden 101

I shall mock and flame you at every opportunity!

1. 50% of people hate micros, 40% hate the people who hate micros, 10% wish everyone could just get along.

2. Swag in and given cache tends to go from awesome to trash over time. This is worth complaining about.

3. There is no rating system. There might be one someday. at least 90% of this forum is dedicated to this debate.

5. unique cache containers can be seen here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=62421. It's one of the best parts of the whole website.

6. Everyone wants assurance that they are no longer a "noob." People's comments on the internet are a good thing to find your identity in.

9. Complaining. Because ranting and raving about park-and-grabs on the internet is more effective than not looking for them.

10. Everyone wishes they were out caching instead of looking at these boring, redundant message boards. I know I do.

Brilliant! Now I know everything that I need to know and can return to geocaching. Thanks!

Brilliant! Now I know everything that I need to know and can return to geocaching. Thanks!

It's posts like these that make me wish there was a "like" button on this forum :P

Modified #1

20% of people hate micros, 10% of those are extremely vocal about it, 99% hate the people who are vocal about hating micros, 10% wish everyone could just get along.

35% of all people have problems with percent calculations. that's more than half the population!

There is nothing wrong with my percentage calculations. Try me if you want to fight about math. Here are my qualifications: Triple Nine

#42 Some new cacher with lots of enthusiasm and a 2:1 post:find ratio in one short month of caching will complain that guidelines are unnecessary and overbearing and too long to bother reading.

(And as we all know, 42 is the answer to everything.)

hey, what are you trying to say?

1. 50% of people hate micros

Corrected version:

1. 0% of people hate micros.

However, anyone who suggests injecting even a modicum of creativity into a cache hide will be labeled as a micro-hater by 99.8% of forum users.

(Hey, if we're gonna invent statistics, why not go all out?) :P

that would explain why there's a forum thread called "Im sick of micros"!

1. 50% of people hate micros

Corrected version:

1. 0% of people hate micros.

However, anyone who suggests injecting even a modicum of creativity into a cache hide will be labeled as a micro-hater by 99.8% of forum users.

(Hey, if we're gonna invent statistics, why not go all out?) :P

that would explain why there's a forum thread called "Im sick of micros"!

I became sick of most micros a few years ago. That doesn't mean I hate them.

Heck, even the OP of that thread said that micros, in and of themselves, were not the real problem for them.

What they didn't like were lame micros. Gotta agree with the OP on that one. :P

Post script: Did you notice the part about invented statistics? That's why it helps to read the whole post.

Edited by Clan Riffster

i have a few more to add:

47. do not use a copyrighted logo as your avatar

48. If you post a topic that has been discussed over and over and over again, you will very likely find some of the insults answers to not quite support your suggestion or fix your GPS...

49. do not start a controversial topic, then never come back to it

50. do not make fun of signal the frog :P (when you insult him he's a real jerk) :P

The "Geocaching Tree of Angst"

We have an atmosphere rich with CO2 that is represented by one atom of "Entitlement" ( C ) and two atoms of "Expectation." (O2) :P

We have a rich medium for the growth of angst in our soil, which is represented by a common/general, "unawareness that this hobby is intrinsically linked to other people." :D

The water (H2O) that nourishes the tree is either actual or perceived (H2) negative interaction (O) between geocachers. :D

Our tree is furtilized by misconception, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding (MMM) whether actual or deliberate. :P

The roots of our tree are based in actual participation and experience in geocaching as an activity.... Hiding, finding, & moving trackables. :D

The trunk of our tree emerges over time. It is actually just individual experience that expresses itself in this way, "I know better than YOU what geocaching is supposed/intended to be all about." :)

From there our "Tree of Angst" branches out in many directions. Some branches sprout from the trunk and some branches think they are attacking the trunk from the other side, but are seemingly unaware that they are part of the same tree. :D

The named branches of our tree so far:

The Theory of Geocaching Evolution

Geocaching would be more fun for me, IF :D:P

Perceived Staunch Defenders of Everything Perceived Lame (P.S.D.E.P.L.)

Geocaching was so much better way back when

The Theory That It's the "OTHER GUY" Who Is Just Sucking the Fun Out of Geocaching

The Theory of Keeping with The Highly Subjective "Spirit of Geocaching"

14. Your vehicle Travel Bug decal is for Discovering only. Do not attempt to insert your vehicle into a cache.

Almost everything in this thread has some merit, except for the above. A Travel Bug is a Travel Bug regardless of what it is attached to. You can drop, retreive, grab, or discover Travel Bugs as appropriate for the action desired... even if you write the Travel Bug number on the outside of your vehicle (there is still a Travel Bug dog tag that goes in your pocket, and with a vehicle it is usually attached to the key ring and thus it does go to the cache with the cacher).

;)

22. You can't get a ten year anniversary event icon anymore.

WHAT? Your joking? Please tell me it's a joke... I want tol get one of each icon, i'll even go to washington for the APE but I was busy that weekend! NO!

Yep. It was a 1 weekend sorta thang. You only turn 10 once.

WHAT? Your joking? Please tell me it's a joke... I want tol get one of each icon, i'll even go to washington for the APE but I was busy that weekend! NO!

I hate to break it to you, but that's not the only icon you won't be able to get. Locationless caches don't exist anymore, either.

I think a subset of this is:

9a. I complained about xxx and now people are complaining about ME!! No fair! When I asked for your opinion I wanted sympathy, not criticism.

Modified #1

87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Has anyone mentioned religious material in caches?

I'm too busy/lazy/important to read this whole thread again. :laughing:

Nope, that would be 53. Religious material in caches causes controversy.

54. Some American cachers are packing heat in their cache bags, vests, holsters, fannie packs.

a. some you will see, some you won't

b. Canadian and other international cachers find this intriguing.

I hate to break it to you, but that's not the only icon you won't be able to get. Locationless caches don't exist anymore, either.

I don't care about locationless, I've logged a waymark... I'm still PO'ed about this. Why! Why! Why must I have had so much work that weekend!

I don't care about locationless, I've logged a waymark... I'm still PO'ed about this. Why! Why! Why must I have had so much work that weekend!

Um, the APE cache is available 365 days a year (altho in winter you have to snowshoe).

Back on topic:

56. Caches can't have agendas. "Please support our troops" and "Give to <insert charitable cause>" are agendas, and reviewers won't publish caches with these sentiments, no matter how noble in spirit.