which do you cache for?

Because we enjoy being out doors and it ads an exciting diversion to our outdoor life.

Because when we travel by car, it breaks up the trip quite well and ads an exciting diversion.

We log our finds because it is an integral part of the game and we like the record keeping that it provides. A by product of logging is that is also records places that we have visited.

If we have other things to do, we do those things because they are necessary. Sometimes we vegetate because we owe it to ourselves. This in no way reflects upon our feelings towards the game of geocaching.

All of the above, well except for finding swag. I already have enough stuff.

* make new friends (should be added to the list)

I can't believe how many wonderful friends I have made over these years of caching. If it weren't for geocaching I never would have met them.

I also cache to get outside and do some hiking!

All of the suff mentioned so far is nice, but the the main reason that I go caching is for the thrill of the find.

so im curious....

which of the following reasons do you generally cache for?

to log you have been someplace,

to see new places,

to find swag,

because you have nothing better to do with your free time,

Sometimes, it's an excuse for a trip, whether that trip is a detour of a few miles on my bike ride to/from work, a hike of several miles through the woods, or a drive to somewhere off the beaten path.

Sometimes, it's about interesting places, whether those places are historic, scenic, or artistic. (I especially enjoy caches that draw attention to public art.)

Sometimes, it's about the challenge, whether the challenge is solving a puzzle, finding a well-camouflaged cache, or retrieving a cleverly placed container. (I especially enjoy on-site puzzles and caches with 4-star camouflage.)

And sometimes it's about companionship, although I don't make it to events, unevents, and group hikes very often...

Sometimes, it's an excuse for a trip, whether that trip is a detour of a few miles on my bike ride to/from work, a hike of several miles through the woods, or a drive to somewhere off the beaten path.

Sometimes, it's about interesting places, whether those places are historic, scenic, or artistic. (I especially enjoy caches that draw attention to public art.)

I was driving from Indianapolis airport to Ubana-Champaign a couple of weeks ago and stopped at a rest stop on the interstate. My GPS didn't show an caches at the rest stop but when I saw that large metal sculpture that appeared to be made of rusted farm machinery I checked on my iPhone to make sure. There wasn't one at the rest stop but I thought "there really should be a cache on/near that sculpture, and if there was I bet niraD would like it".

I was driving from Indianapolis airport to Ubana-Champaign a couple of weeks ago and stopped at a rest stop on the interstate. My GPS didn't show an caches at the rest stop but when I saw that large metal sculpture that appeared to be made of rusted farm machinery I checked on my iPhone to make sure. There wasn't one at the rest stop but I thought "there really should be a cache on/near that sculpture, and if there was I bet niraD would like it".
Yes, indeed! :P

which of the following reasons do you generally cache for?

None of the above. I cache almost entirely for the adventure it brings me. While I also enjoy seeing new places, and I am thrilled to discover what devilishly clever hide technique/camo people incorporate into their hides, neither one is my driving force. As for the numbers, that never even enters the equation. Most of my finds these days are hunted for based on word of mouth suggestion, rather than blindly following an arrow.

I like to log someplace new when I get close to a landmark (ex. 300 caches).

To see new places (love to explore).

To find swag (love swapping for those golfballs prior to teaching golf in my physical education classes). You know how many golf balls new golfing students lose?

Free time? This gets me away from everything I should be doing! Got to go now, the lawn is calling to be mowed, wait, what?, a new cache down the road? Humhhh...