eXplorist 600 and connection to PC

First off, I am completely new to GPS/geocaching. I am also not the most tech-savvy person out there.

I bought a Magellan eXplorist 600 on eBay, and am having trouble downloading caches to the GPS unit. I was quite proud of myself for figuring how to install the included software and download cache info to my PC. This, however, was as far as I got. When trying to transfer the files to the GPS, my system keeps giving the error, "No unit detected! Magellan eXplorist Manager was unable to detect any eXplorist ..."

When first connecting the unit, my PC said it loaded the required drivers, and I can go into Windows eXplorer and see the internal memory files. I have even copied the LOC file into the unit's memory but it doesn't recognize it (transfer must convert it somehow?).

The cable obviously is fine, and the GPS unit appears to work. I have also rebooted, etc several times. Can anyone suggest why my PC will not do the transfer? Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I am getting quite frustrated.

Note: I did search out problems on FAQs, and the question @ http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/magellan/explo...00/cabling.html

is not the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

First off, I am completely new to GPS/geocaching. I am also not the most tech-savvy person out there.

I bought a Magellan eXplorist 600 on eBay, and am having trouble downloading caches to the GPS unit. I was quite proud of myself for figuring how to install the included software and download cache info to my PC. This, however, was as far as I got. When trying to transfer the files to the GPS, my system keeps giving the error, "No unit detected! Magellan eXplorist Manager was unable to detect any eXplorist ..."

When first connecting the unit, my PC said it loaded the required drivers, and I can go into Windows eXplorer and see the internal memory files. I have even copied the LOC file into the unit's memory but it doesn't recognize it (transfer must convert it somehow?).

The cable obviously is fine, and the GPS unit appears to work. I have also rebooted, etc several times. Can anyone suggest why my PC will not do the transfer? Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I am getting quite frustrated.

Note: I did search out problems on FAQs, and the question @ http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/magellan/explo...00/cabling.html

is not the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Are you using Windows 7? I have the same problem under Windows 7. (Used Windows XP previously with no problem.)

Sue

Vinny & Sue Team

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Are you using Windows 7? I have the same problem under Windows 7. (Used Windows XP previously with no problem.)

Sue

Vinny & Sue Team

Wow, I didn't expect a reply after this long and have basically given up on it.

No, I am running Windows Vista; sounds like that may be the problem if XP worked for you. Please let me know if you find out a fix for it - it may work on both newer versions. Thanks!

Wow, I didn't expect a reply after this long and have basically given up on it.

No, I am running Windows Vista; sounds like that may be the problem if XP worked for you. Please let me know if you find out a fix for it - it may work on both newer versions. Thanks!

Ahhh, sounds like Magellan's Conversion Manager has the same problem under Vista and Windows 7...

I have yet to get that program to work under Windows 7.

There are 2 ways you can work around the problem however, i.e. load your Explorist without using the Conversion Manager as follows:

- if you want to upload waypoints that you have in a mapsend .wpt file, use gpsbabel to convert the file to an Explorist .upt file

- if you want to upload waypoints that you have in gsak, do an 'export to magellan explorist and sd card' from gsak and choose the 'explorist poi's' in the 'required format' box. This will create a .upt file.

Once you have the .upt file, plug your Explorist into a USB port and just use Windows Explorer or similar to copy the .upt file to your Explorist in the 'My POI' folder.

Sue-Cat

(Vinny & Sue Team)

stoliman,

Like Vinny mentioned I've never figured out how to make some of that old Magellan software work properly since getting Windows 7. Particularly the Conversion Manager.

What I did get to work, amazingly well, was the free Magellan Vantage Point software. I used to use Geocache Manager (Magellan) and EasyGPS, but now I only use VP. Works great for loading caches (200 cache limit per file), tracks, WP's and it will even transfer detail maps FROM the GPS TO the VP program (if you already had the GPS loaded with detail maps).

Edited by Woodstramp

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

As mentioned, I have zero experience with this stuff. I downloaded the VantagePoint software as this seemed to be the easiest option. Problem: it seems to only give the option to load .gpx files to the GPS. When I download waypoints though, it gives me an .loc file which are viewable in VantagePoint. Can these not be sent to the GPS?

I think I see now that to get .gpx files I would need to become a premium member, but can I not work with the .loc files as a trial first? (Plus, I am still not sure the transfer would work to this unit)

-------------------------------

UPDATE: I think I got the VantagePoint option to work (export files, how obvious!). Funny thing though, I saw the loaded caches in the eXplorist once - elation! Now, they are gone - frustration again. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something! Thanks again for your help, guys ... I will get this going someday.

Edited by stolimanmike

Stolim,

Sorry for that . I'm a PM and didn't notice you weren't. You're right. VP doesn't have an option for .loc files.

Might as well use EasyGPS.

Besides, a PM will get you the option for .gpx downloads in Pocket Queries, but if you are using an explorist that still won't be much help. Explorists only hold short hints and descriptions. When I used my Explorist I used it with a Garmin Nuvi (that was set up for paperless). Drive there using the Nuvi, read the description and finish with the Explorist.