Im sick of micros....

they are such a cop out,

i mean ok, i understand you want people to go to your favorite spot, or you are worried about muggles, and stealth, but seriously there are like 50 caches near me and maybe out of those 50 2 are not micros.

micros should not count as far as proximity goes.

Let's see. You have found a total of 3 caches and you're already complaining about there being too many micros? Sounds like this sport/hobby might be a little too stressful for you and you might want to consider something a little milder. Of course, if you are a premium member then you can just select to ignore all micro caches when you do a search; that would, I'm sure, eliminate some of your stress level about micros. Just remember, if you stay with the game long enough to start hiding your own, people will be keeping an eye on the type of hides you decide to make to see if the same feelings apply when it comes to hiding caches.

Sounds like he's a quick learner to me. I refuse to hunt another micro.

El Diablo

they are such a cop out,

i mean ok, i understand you want people to go to your favorite spot, or you are worried about muggles, and stealth, but seriously there are like 50 caches near me and maybe out of those 50 2 are not micros.

I ran a PQ of the 1000 caches nearest to one that you found today, GC1ZA6N.

Then I used GSAK to subtract the micros.

528 caches of the 1000 nearest to you are not micros.

52.8% of the 1000 caches nearest you are not micros.

If you don't like micros, don't hunt them!

That still leaves the majority of caches in your area available for your geocaching pleasure. :P

gee thanks.

thats reassuring hat 48% of the caches people near me are hiding are micro cop outs.

why waste the effort?

now if your cache is a micro container, or a buffalo container, and you place it in a bigger object like a fake head or a giant spider, you should not consider your cache a micro, if you hide it under a light post skirt, you just wasted not only your time, but tons of other peoples time, can we make a rule that says no copycat lightpost skirt micros within 100 miles?

If you hate micros so much, and don't like finding them...

... I have some GREAT news for you! It's possible for you (by paying to become a premium member) to COMPLETELY eliminate all micros from the game. You'll never, ever, have to see another one. :P All of your searches will contain 100% non-micro caches. Isn't that awesome?

Have you considered becoming a premium member?

gee thanks.

thats reassuring hat 48% of the caches people near me are hiding are micro cop outs.

why waste the effort?

You know for certain the other 48% are just lame hides? If you pony up the dough and become a premium member, you can also run a PQ for micros that have a difficulty rating of 3 or higher. Those will be more creatively hidden...unless there are those hiders who still believe a lamp skirt micro is a three-star difficulty hide :P

I don't really have a preference as for cache size. I enjoy finding ammo cans and lock-n-locks as much as the next guy but I can't say that any regular sized cache I've found has given me the same satisfaction that I've gotten when I've found a very difficult micro. The "a-ha" moment is far more rewarding than any swag. You can filter out micros, sure, but you'll also be depriving yourself of some truly fantastic caches.

... I have some GREAT news for you! It's possible for you (by paying to become a premium member) to COMPLETELY eliminate all micros from the game. You'll never, ever, have to see another one. :P All of your searches will contain 100% non-micro caches. Isn't that awesome?

Not quite....many unknowns/not specified are nanos because COs don't think nanos are micros. Some unknown/not specified are micros because COs don't want to give away the size. About 1/3 of smalls are micros, because COs think an aspirin bottle or spice jar is not a micro because it is not a film canister. Or they list them as small so people who filter out micros won't filter out their micro.

52.8% of the 1000 caches nearest you are not micros.

Of those, how many are unknown/not specified....it's likely that at least 80% of those are going to be micros (nanos)

Of the 52.8%, how many are small? As I previously posted, about a 1/3 of those will likely be micros.

Someone placed a cache locally celebrating ten years of Geocaching. Their cache was a C&D, log only, micro. Since the first cache was a 5 gallon bucket, I thought this was ironic.

I like some micros but many are just easy hides for the CO with little thought or preparation involved.

gee thanks.

why waste the effort?

now if your cache is a micro container, or a buffalo container, and you place it in a bigger object like a fake head or a giant spider, you should not consider your cache a micro, if you hide it under a light post skirt, you just wasted not only your time, but tons of other peoples time, can we make a rule that says no copycat lightpost skirt micros within 100 miles?

Can we make a rule that says if you are going to troll that you at least give accurate data?

Someone placed a cache locally celebrating ten years of Geocaching. Their cache was a C&D, log only, micro. Since the first cache was a 5 gallon bucket, I thought this was ironic.

I like some micros but many are just easy hides for the CO with little thought or preparation involved.

I live in an area where we don't have many large parks or wooded areas in the city, so the micros make sense in those areas. I'm not a big fan of micros, but I still hunt for them.

That being said, I don't like the areas that could easily conceal a small watertight container where I can throw in a TB or geocoin being taken up by by a micro. I'd like to introduce some friends to this activity and take my grandkids out on hikes in the woods where just getting an accurate reading is a challenge. Being stumped (no pun intended ) in the woods by a micro turns a potential cacher off, unless there are an abundant caches not-too-far-away that are not micros.

Since there are rules about proximity of caches, showing some constraint by putting micros in wooded areas where there are already micros should be adopted, either voluntarily, or by georegulations.

Not quite....many unknowns/not specified are nanos because COs don't think nanos are micros. Some unknown/not specified are micros because COs don't want to give away the size. About 1/3 of smalls are micros, because COs think an aspirin bottle or spice jar is not a micro because it is not a film canister. Or they list them as small so people who filter out micros won't filter out their micro.

I know a CO who thinks if you can fit in a log that will hold 30 signatures, a pencil stub and more than 1 pathtag then it is a small.

*sigh* I can't convince him otherwise because he claims it is the norm in NC.

It is a disease I tell ya, we got pockets up here and they are spreading.

Not everyone thinks that micros are a "waste of time". Some people like them.

Everyone plays the game differently. That's the beauty.

Everyone can CHOOSE not to search for the ones they don't like.

Pretty simple. Isn't that great?

AMEN!

I happen to enjoy caches with 4-star camouflage. Many (most?) of these are micros.

I also enjoy caches that call attention to public art. Many (most?) of these are micros.

I also enjoy mystery/puzzle caches. Many (most?) of these are micros.

Personally, I don't like caches that are big enough to hold dozens of random trade items, because it takes me longer to rummage through them looking for the few signature items that I might want to trade for.

Everyone plays the game differently. If you don't like micros, then don't search for them, and don't hide them.

they are such a cop out,

so... stick to making cute little banners for your myspace.com page.

:P

Everyone plays the game differently. If you don't like micros, then don't search for them, and don't hide them.

Now there's the rub. See, I like the two types of micros that you like:

I happen to enjoy caches with 4-star camouflage. Many (most?) of these are micros.

I also enjoy caches that call attention to public art. Many (most?) of these are micros.

But I don't want to look for the micros where the CO invests nothing in the cache - $0, zero imagination. About 5% (probably less) of micros fit in the types you outline above - how do you separate the chaff from the wheat?

Why is that? I've noticed it too. Personally if I'm going to solve a mystery/puzzle, I would like more of a reward then a $0/zero imagination micro.

Although Micro's can drive me to drink heavily after finding one, the Railroad series Micor's over here has be pretty proud of the find, out of tons of people that have searched for it, only 2 people actually found it!!! someone else and myself. dang, i call that a awesome acomplishment............. but everyone likes the game for different reasons.................. :)

Micros are probably oversaturated in urban areas. I mean does my local Walmart really need 2 lamp post caches? Doesn't seem like a special place to bring people.

That said, for every micro LPC that takes me to a KFC parking lot there is film canister in a tree or something under a bench taking me to a small local park I'd never heard of before.

I've also found micros also become less annoying the more adept you become at finding them. At first they can be annoyingly frustrating.

But if you really really hate micros just filter them out and don't urban cache much. Go find a state park (or even a good sized local park - 100 acres will do) and you'll find plenty of ammo cans.

I am not sick of micros, per se. I am sick of micros being placed as "difficult" hides in bushes. It's bad enough trying to find anything but old bottles in bushes but the bush micro (which includes any variation of dense vegetation) is something I've been regularly passing up.

Micros are probably oversaturated in urban areas. I mean does my local Walmart really need 2 lamp post caches? Doesn't seem like a special place to bring people.

That said, for every micro LPC that takes me to a KFC parking lot there is film canister in a tree or something under a bench taking me to a small local park I'd never heard of before.

I've also found micros also become less annoying the more adept you become at finding them. At first they can be annoyingly frustrating.

But if you really really hate micros just filter them out and don't urban cache much. Go find a state park (or even a good sized local park - 100 acres will do) and you'll find plenty of ammo cans.

I'd be willing to bet money that your ratio of parking lot to park micro caches is off. Probably by a lot. But on the plus side I agree. No wally world needs two caches. Heck, no reason for there to be one. What's the point?

I'm not sure why the OP dislikes micros so much. He lists one of his hobbies as dumpster diving. It seems to me that finding micros and dumpster diving are complementary activities. Half of all suburban micros seem to take me to locations where dumpsters are located nearby.

gee thanks.

why waste the effort?

/me goes count how many rules you proposed in less than a month of geocaching

on the topic of rules, how about we have one that requires an IQ test before being allowed as member?

anyone bellow 120 should be rejected

gee thanks.

why waste the effort?

on the topic of rules, how about we have one that requires an IQ test before being allowed as member?

I don't wanna have to stop being a member :) I like it... or do we get grandfathered in? ^.^

gee thanks.

why waste the effort?

I don't wanna have to stop being a member :) I like it... or do we get grandfathered in? ^.^

Only if you are a grandfather...

I'm barely old enough to be a mother, I don't think I'm old enough (or the right gender) to be a grandfather! Another thing, its harder to have a high IQ if you are still in school learning. Don't be unfair to us younger cachers!

Harder but not impossible. I had a 120 IQ when I was in 3rd grade

I'm barely old enough to be a mother, I don't think I'm old enough (or the right gender) to be a grandfather! Another thing, its harder to have a high IQ if you are still in school learning. Don't be unfair to us younger cachers!

I was spouting off quantum theorems at 1 week! What? You find that hard to believe? I'm sure I was in some language...

Now there's the rub. See, I like the two types of micros that you like:

But I don't want to look for the micros where the CO invests nothing in the cache - $0, zero imagination. About 5% (probably less) of micros fit in the types you outline above - how do you separate the chaff from the wheat?

That depends on what mode I'm in.

Sometimes, I'm in "blast radius" mode. I'm using the nearest cache as an excuse for a "detour" on my normal bike ride to/from work/church/whatever. I don't really care whether the cache itself is exciting or if it's Yet Another Smiley.

Sometimes (rarely, I admit), I'm on a group hike. I find whatever caches are along the route, just like the rest of the group. Again, I don't really care whether any given cache is exciting, or Yet Another Smiley.

When I'm looking for something challenging, I restrict my query to caches with high difficulty. That's how I chose the cache for my 666th find. I was not disappointed.

I haven't figured out an automated way to query for interesting places. If I'm lucky, I might find a bookmark list, or one of the caches that pops up near a known destination happens to have a good description.

Actually, I often read the descriptions of caches near a known destination. I'll view the online map and open a bunch of cache pages in separate tabs. Then I read through the descriptions. If a description sounds boring, then I close the tab and read the next one. Of course, this doesn't scale beyond a dozen or two caches at a time, but that's about my speed anyway.

Why is that? I've noticed it too. Personally if I'm going to solve a mystery/puzzle, I would like more of a reward then a $0/zero imagination micro.
I can't speak for all puzzle cache owners, but I've heard ideas like these expressed by others:
  • A puzzle is a good way to add interest to an otherwise routine hide.
  • It's rude to block a good location for a traditional cache with a puzzle cache that most people will ignore anyway.
  • The location fit the theme of the puzzle, and this was the only hide I could put there.
  • The puzzle is the important thing. Finding the cache should be easy once you've got the right coordinates.

And of course, there are all the reasons why people hide "$0/zero imagination micros" as traditional caches.

I was spouting off quantum theorems at 1 week! What? You find that hard to believe? I'm sure I was in some language...

Hey, maybe you were but the fact of the matter is that you weren't quantifiably tested at one week. I was in the third grade.

Hey, maybe you were but the fact of the matter is that you weren't quantifiably tested at one week. I was in the third grade.

I've been a member of Mensa since I was in grade 3. They sought me out.

After typing that I realize that Americans say third grade and we Canadians say grade three.

odd...

I've got to say, some of the best challenges and commensurate feelings of accomplishment were when I've found a couple different "nanos"--cylinders only 1/2 long and less than that in diameter--those things can be wicked evil when hidden, let alone hidden out in the open, and make for a really fun find when you pull it off. I have absolutely no problem with the uber-small hides (though admittedly I love a good ammo-can as well).

now if your cache is a micro container, or a buffalo container, and you place it in a bigger object like a fake head or a giant spider, you should not consider your cache a micro

Says you? The sizes are ranked by what they can hold. A Bison (not "buffalo") tube is a micro, even if you hide it in a buffalo.

I'd say the same thing to you that I say to people who are fussy eaters... go ahead... cheat yourself out of the possibility of discovering the best thing you've ever tasted, just because you think that you won't like it. All you are doing is limiting your options, and in your case, you are doing it with an extremely small (eg: micro) amount of experience! I have a hard time comprehending why you would be so closed-minded so early in the game.

I've been a member of Mensa since I was in grade 3. They sought me out.

After typing that I realize that Americans say third grade and we Canadians say grade three.

odd...

Of course it's odd. You're Canadian.

now if your cache is a micro container, or a buffalo container, and you place it in a bigger object like a fake head or a giant spider, you should not consider your cache a micro

Says you? The sizes are ranked by what they can hold. A Bison (not "buffalo") tube is a micro, even if you hide it in a buffalo.

I'd say the same thing to you that I say to people who are fussy eaters... go ahead... cheat yourself out of the possibility of discovering the best thing you've ever tasted, just because you think that you won't like it. All you are doing is limiting your options, and in your case, you are doing it with an extremely small (eg: micro) amount of experience! I have a hard time comprehending why you would be so closed-minded so early in the game.

Easily explained. Troll.

IQ doesn't measure how much you know (though knowing more sometimes helps) -- it attempts to measure your mental acuity.

If you take an IQ test, it's adjusted for your age.

I have found some extremely clever micros over the years, which have given me inspiration to try and do something similar. But, like other posters have said, if you don't like them, ignore them. I don't happen to like caches hidden in spruce trees, or LPCs, or a pile of rocks, but I still look for them. Why? Because I like geocaching :)

A troll posts the way he (she? it?) does to cause angst and to keep it going as long as possible. The term is not a caching term but an internet term. Everything the OP posts seem to be aimed at provoking a heated debate. Why else would a "newbie" want to totally remake the game before they even know what the game really is?

A troll posts the way he (she? it?) does to cause angst and to keep it going as long as possible. The term is not a caching term but an internet term. Everything the OP posts seem to be aimed at provoking a heated debate. Why else would a "newbie" want to totally remake the game before they even know what the game really is?

As used on the internet the term 'troll' actually came from fishing. To troll fish you throw out a lure (bait) behind your boat and slowly cruise around hoping to cross paths with a fish who will take the bait and be caught. Trolling is a popular and effective way to fish. You don't really know when or what you'll catch... you just wait until something takes the bait and reel in whatever bites.

In forums it works the same way. A 'troll' baits the forum by posting something that he knows is likely to either fool or inflame. Then he waits on someone to bite. Once he has someone on the hook the thread can struggle off in any direction, often leading to the ultimate troll catch, a flame war.

The base requirement of a troll is anonymity. Folks whose identity is known rarely troll. Thus most troll posts come from new accounts which are often 'sock puppet' disposable accounts created for that purpose. Any time a new account shows up in the forums posting confrontational or controversial topics the immediate suspicion should be that it is a troll.

When some one is accused of trolling or of being a troll it doesn't mean that he's some troglodyte who lives under a bridge, it means that he is stirring the pot and looking for trouble.

One example of a troll might be someone pretending that they don't understand what it costs to host a site like this or where our membership fees go. :)

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
Any time a new account shows up in the forums posting confrontational or controversial topics the immediate suspicion should be that it is a troll.

You would think that would be true. However, you posted a while back admonishing us for making that assumption saying that we should not assume new posters were trolls and should be nicer.

It's not exactly working out that great for our new multi posting visitor to the forums.

Any time a new account shows up in the forums posting confrontational or controversial topics the immediate suspicion should be that it is a troll.

You would think that would be true. However, you posted a while back admonishing us for making that assumption saying that we should not assume new posters were trolls and should be nicer.

It's not exactly working out that great for our new multi posting visitor to the forums.

True, we should be open and inclusive and try to help newcomers with decent and valid answers to their questions.

Once we've done that, however, and the newbie continues to argue with our answers, we're pretty safe in starting to question whether the poster is trolling. :)

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Its the tiny ones (Nanos) placed by a poor GPS operator and hider that just cant wait for the Error Margin to minimize before throwing a Peanut M&M sized conatainer into a bush, then feeling like someone crafty all the way to submitting the cache to be registered. I like finding them. However, I don't like looking for the cache placed by an incompetent GPS user. Again, Error Margin and Circular Error Probable comes to mind. The fact is, there is no IQ requirement to place and publish a Cache. Unfortunately, all searchers fall fall victim to this fact. If ignorance in hiding and recording :) is truly the source of mystery in finding an item, it will ruin all who consider searching for Micros in the future. Remember, the Hiders Error Margin is added to the Finders Error Margin and that makes a larger circle of search. I have found some to be more than 20 meters off. Thats 60+ feet. Is Hider ignorance the challenge, or is it the size?

The whole idea is to find it, not make it unfound.

RTExplorer

So they told you...I took that test too, to see if I should be in the "Special School".

***adding that this is a joke, meant in good fun.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT