Experiment - need a favour please

Can someone send me a GPX file of a cache please :laughing:

I want to see what info my GPS unit extracts and displays. compared to the web cache page

I cant get one off the geocaching site, as i'm not a premium member yet.

But if my gps unit wont accept gpx files, theres not really much point upgrading my membership / downloading

them.

Mart :(

I want to see what info my GPS unit extracts and displays. compared to the web cache page

But if my gps unit wont accept gpx files, theres not really much point upgrading my membership / downloading

them.

Can you not simply read the spec of the gpsr? Anyway, a program like GSAK (http://www.gsak.net/) can download caches directly to your GPSr, even if it cannot accept gpx directly. I use it to load caches into my ancient, but reliable, Garmin GPS12.

Hope this helps.

them.

Can you not simply read the spec of the gpsr? Anyway, a program like GSAK (http://www.gsak.net/) can download caches directly to your GPSr, even if it cannot accept gpx directly. I use it to load caches into my ancient, but reliable, Garmin GPS12.

Hope this helps.

them.

Hope this helps.

I'd heard of double-posting, but TRIPLE-POSTING? I doubt anybody will send you the files, but if you just say what GPS you have (eg mine is Garmin Oregon 450) then We'll be able to look it up and see if it supports paperless caching. The other option is to pay $10 for a tri-monthly membership, and then you can see for yourself.

The reason you can't send geocaching.com GPX files is because to get them, you need to be a premium member and part of the Ts and Cs says that Gc.com own the data and they give you a license to use the data.

As this is an official geocaching.com (Groundspeak) forum, it's probably not the best place to ask....

Anyway, to answer your question, the answer is I'm afraid no. It's only the fairly recent GPSers that have the ability to read GPX files directly. The Meridian is a fairly old model (from about 2003) and as such, doesn't directly support Geocaching (much as most of the older Garmin models are the same)

There isn't usually much support for Magellans in the UK - for some reason Garmin appear to be much more widely used.

I would suggest asking the question in this forum

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11

as the US are much heavier users of these.

Hope it helps.

Stu

:P

Well that works :P

I used easy gps to transfer it to the Meridian, and it worked.

It also has the option for geocaching, to add the decrypted hint as well, (which is a godsend to us newbies)

ther is another transfer utility to try as well, so i'll see which one is the easier to use

cheers

Mart

Well Ive had a good play about after upgrading to premium membership :)

Got a sample of GPX files, and used easyGPS to open them and see what info was in the GPX file prior to

uploading onto the magellan..

It appears that you can select which fields you want uploaded into the Magellan, so i opted for

Geocach ID

Container

Difficulty

Terrain

Waypoint

Comment

Lat

Lon

Hint (decrypted)

I also set the icon for each cache as a skull and crossbones, so it gives the little one somthing to look for

After uploading to the Magellan, I get the following displayed

Waypoint

Lat

Lon

Hint Decrytped

I can then edit the comment & Icon on the Magellan to show the cache status once we've either found it or not!!

Because the magellan also has downloadable detailed maps, it makes the roads side of it easy:)

I havnt tried pulling the data back from the Magellan to the pc (via easyGPS) so i dont yet know if i can then

upload into my geocache log.

Does this constitute paperless caching?

Mart

I'd heard of double-posting, but TRIPLE-POSTING? I doubt anybody will send you the files, but if you just say what GPS you have (eg mine is Garmin Oregon 450) then We'll be able to look it up and see if it supports paperless caching. The other option is to pay $10 for a tri-monthly membership, and then you can see for yourself.

The forum was playing up and taking ages to load. Thinking it had locked up and failed to post I reposted.

The hamsters had clearly not been fed that day!