Oregon betas

Oregon software version 3.81 Beta

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4741

Changes made from version 3.80 to 3.81:

* Added brightness adjustments for BirdsEye imagery.

* Improved WAAS performance.

* Improved speed, trip odometer, and stopped/moving time data fields while in low velocity.

* Fixed issue with map POI's showing twice for a single point.

* Fixed elevation profiles to always use the most detailed DEM data loaded.

* Fixed issue with calculator % function.

Oregon x50 software version 3.51 Beta

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4743

Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.51:

* Improved speed, trip odometer, and stopped/moving time data fields while in low velocity.

* Fixed future plot with tracks that have no elevations in them.

Oregon software version 3.81 Beta

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4741

Changes made from version 3.80 to 3.81:

Looks like Garmin must have made a change to their web page for the 3.81 beta. The above link takes me to the 3.81 Download page but when I click on "Download" it goes to v3.42 software. If you change the "=4741" to "=4742" it will take you to the v3.81 beta.

edit: Disregard above comment. Now original link and "Download" button correctly go to v3.81.

Edited by eaparks

Anyone else see this with v3.81 beta? My tracks created in Mapsource and transferred to my Oregon 400t via Mapsource (located in the Temp.gpx file) would not appear on my GPS's map screen. The track title would show up in the "Track Manager" but when I would try to make any changes to the individual track such as hide or show, view map, set color, delete, etc. the button would just turn blue and not give me another screen with options to make the change. I deleted the Temp.gpx file and resent the tracks via Mapsource and now they work properly, again.

The tracks recorded and saved using the GPS were not affected and still worked properly.

To be honest, I usually don't enable WAAS, so I can't say. But others seem to complain about it. The only reason I turned it on yesterday was to compare it to the GPSMAP 78 I'm testing. Didn't work yesterday, but it works today after installing the beta.

Forget the WAAS on the Oregon beta.......HOW DOES WAAS PERFORM ON THE 78 ?????

How quick does it lock and does it maintain lock when moving and under any cover?

I have a 300; I upgraded to 3.81 beta. Based on Redwood Mtn Biker's statement that he is able to receive WAAS with the 3.81 beta update, I enabled WAAS on my 300 and yes, I show excellent WAAS reception in the San Francisco Bay Area, California.

Edited by Barrikady
I have a 300; I upgraded to 3.81 beta. Based on Redwood Mtn Biker's statement that he is able to receive WAAS with the 3.81 beta update, I enabled WAAS on my 300 and yes, I show excellent WAAS reception in the San Francisco Bay Area, California.

(whoosh) That's the sound of me rushing to my car to get my Oregon 300 for updating.

WOW WAAS. It's only taken Garmin TWO years to fix it. For the first time in two years (since owning my 300) I can get and KEEP WAAS in my livingroom, walking down the street, through tree canopy and back again.

Has anyone figured out where the brightness control for Birdseye is yet?

Edited by yogazoo

The same Cartesio firmware on the Dakota is working great. Fast WAAS lock, and CACHED data. Turned it on a 2nd time after a 15 minute hiatus and got lock in 15 seconds. As expected, EPE is now also notably improved and settles more quickly (bleech to the naysayers of WAAS).

WOW WAAS. It's only taken Garmin TWO years to fix it. For the first time in two years (since owning my 300) I can get and KEEP WAAS in my livingroom, walking down the street, through tree canopy and back again.

Has anyone figured out where the brightness control for Birdseye is yet?

Setup/Map/Map Information Select Map/Birdseye Satellite Imagery

You can select between Brighter, Bright or Normal

GPS software version confirmed as 4.34 -> 4.46 from 3.80 to 3.81 (oregon 300).

Definite improvements in waas (Northern England) : I wouldn't say the speed of lock is fast but it's now guaranteed to get a lock every time. Lock stays when moving indoors and if waas sat is lost, D remains on other sats and waas bird picks up very quick when moving back into open ground. Well done Garmin ! Maybe a little way to go yet but certainly several steps closer !

(Nice to see that they haven't screwed UK discoverer map support for once !)

Edited by Rifty
Is this new? Have you been w/o WAAS for how long

Since I bought it years ago. The lack of WAAS on the Oregon series has been the cause of much angst and discussion since the beginning.

Installed update to 300. Walked outside and put it on rail. Two minutes later got WAAS and D's all the way across. Now I can sell the 60CSX I used to find cache while the Oregon generally was used for record keeping.

Since I bought it years ago. The lack of WAAS on the Oregon series has been the cause of much angst and discussion since the beginning.

Installed update to 300. Walked outside and put it on rail. Two minutes later got WAAS and D's all the way across. Now I can sell the 60CSX I used to find cache while the Oregon generally was used for record keeping.

Ditto my Dakota 20 and retiring my Summit HC. I had carried the HC around just in case I needed an accurate reading in a hurry. The Dakota took far too long to settle, and sometimes never did give me an EPE I liked, even out from under cover. The Dakota's EPE drop is just as fast now as my old Summit HC, so I'm a very happy camper (finally). It seems the unit is now also caching almanac data from the WAAS satellites. You can turn the unit off, turn it on 15 minutes later and WHAM, WAAS lock. You can block the signal with your body, turn around, and WHAM, WAAS lock. Neither of those were possible before this release.

What remains to be seen is what these units do if they don't spot a "local" SBAS satellite on the first pass. I'm hoping they've changed the firmware so as to avoid "stupid" attempts to cycle through the entire galaxy of SBAS satellites and instead use a bit of sense and stick with those that are actually possible from the unit's known current location. Watching my Dakota slowly cycle through a search for every EGNOS satellite from here in Colorado was painful to watch.

For those that don't believe WAAS contributes much, I'll gladly give a demo of 4.25 vs. 4.42 Cartesio firmware!

My OR 200 "sees" my WAAS bird 51 but I never get any "Ds" to indicate the corrections are being applied. The beta seems fine otherwise.

Solid 51 or hollow?

Take it outside turn it on and let it "soak" for a new almanac.

After the update my 550 first started up with a blank almanac. Then acquired a full new one from left to right full screen width.

Others had no WAAS either until after "soaking"

Anyone else see this with v3.81 beta? My tracks created in Mapsource and transferred to my Oregon 400t via Mapsource (located in the Temp.gpx file) would not appear on my GPS's map screen. The track title would show up in the "Track Manager" but when I would try to make any changes to the individual track such as hide or show, view map, set color, delete, etc. the button would just turn blue and not give me another screen with options to make the change. I deleted the Temp.gpx file and resent the tracks via Mapsource and now they work properly, again.

The tracks recorded and saved using the GPS were not affected and still worked properly.

In Track Manager, does the same track name show up twice?

I saw this problem, when I re-saved a file of tracks to the unit. I had to delete the file from the unit. Power the unit up and let it clear itself. Then save the new version of the file.

I think it has something to do with the way the OR processes the files and creates a separate database of the info.

I know this upgrade improved WAAS acquisition, but does it also affect acquisiton speed for all satellites? It seems that, sitting at my desk, I get almost instant full green bars when I turn on my 400t.
It certainly seems to have improved that some as well ... once you've got the regular almanac the first time. On the whole, I'm really pleased with the improvement in performance in this area. I just wish it had come much sooner. It's been a known problem for quite a long time, and it appeared that the DeLorme folks got a handle on it with STMicro far sooner than Garmin did. While this kind of performance in a consumer handheld isn't important to a lot of users, we're a pretty fussy bunch about wanting decent coordinates in short order. Looks like we've finally got that.
I know this upgrade improved WAAS acquisition, but does it also affect acquisiton speed for all satellites? It seems that, sitting at my desk, I get almost instant full green bars when I turn on my 400t.
It certainly seems to have improved that some as well ... once you've got the regular almanac the first time. On the whole, I'm really pleased with the improvement in performance in this area. I just wish it had come much sooner. It's been a known problem for quite a long time, and it appeared that the DeLorme folks got a handle on it with STMicro far sooner than Garmin did. While this kind of performance in a consumer handheld isn't important to a lot of users, we're a pretty fussy bunch about wanting decent coordinates in short order. Looks like we've finally got that.

I wasn't too fussy before, although there were moments where slow acquistion was irritating. I suspect that I just didn't know the difference it could make. I'll know more in a couple of hours when my GPS gets a "field test" in an area where I have had problems before.

I'll know more in a couple of hours when my GPS gets a "field test" in an area where I have had problems before.
Whether you get your "desk speed" immediately will depend upon how far away your test area is and how long it's been since you last had the unit turned on. If you fire it up in the car a few minutes ahead of GZ to grab current data, I think you'll be pleased with the results. Anything unique about the area that was causing trouble before? Topography? Structures? Trees?

In Track Manager, does the same track name show up twice?

I saw this problem, when I re-saved a file of tracks to the unit. I had to delete the file from the unit. Power the unit up and let it clear itself. Then save the new version of the file.

I think it has something to do with the way the OR processes the files and creates a separate database of the info.

My track names were only appearing in Track Manager once and I had not created or transferred any additional tracks to the GPS since the week before when they were all working properly. There were a total of 7 short tracks in Track Manager all working the week before with v3.80 and immediately after updating to v3.81 I could not view any of the 5 tracks on my 400t that I had created in and transferred via Mapsource; the 2 GPSed tracks worked properly. At least the fix was very simple.

Per Redwoods Mtn Biker and your post it sounds like the problem might not be due to a change in software but a random problem.

edit: We need to see if we can replicate this issue to determine exactly what is causing it as this could be a serious issue if it occured in the wilderness.

Edited by eaparks
I'll know more in a couple of hours when my GPS gets a "field test" in an area where I have had problems before.
Whether you get your "desk speed" immediately will depend upon how far away your test area is and how long it's been since you last had the unit turned on. If you fire it up in the car a few minutes ahead of GZ to grab current data, I think you'll be pleased with the results. Anything unique about the area that was causing trouble before? Topography? Structures? Trees?

Nope - it is just an urban area that gives me trouble; sometimes 10 minutes acquistion time. Was going to go caching in the mountains today, but had to replan that to urban and parkland caches. I would have liked to have tested WAAS with all the obstacles there.

edited to add: everything

Edited by boda

updated to the latest beta and found the following:

WAAS now works and brings accuracy down to 7-8ft compared to the normal 14-22ft found its performing better at gz however the map can freeze when refreshing now.

Also noticed 12 satelites all with "D"'s and the waas one at the end so a much better running gps now.

Wow, just wow!

I am seriously impressed!

It only took them something like 1.5 to 2 years to get WAAS/EGNOS working, one of the fundamental functions of a modern GPSR device.

Forgive me my sarcasm, I have been waiting for this day for a long time.

OK, I'm giving 3.81b ago :)

The egnos change was quick to see.

HO! It takes >10 System Restarts + several GPX folder deletes to get my 1900 cache GSAK export to display.

And MapSource route exports have a waypoint randomly go to Lat 0 Long 0!

Despite that I am going to perservere. I have worked out how to manually remove the wrong waypoint - that bit is e-z as the name is blank ; and add the missing waypoint.

Can some one remind me the Garmin contact email address for issues with beta firmware?

Cheers.

update was no problem on my Oregon 200 and now I see lots of D's finally.

Can't you picture a bunch of Garmin developers sitting at the bar late one night and one of them saying something like "those blasted users and their stupid WAAS requests - how'bout if we just edit the display to randomly make D's appear and they'll think we changed something....."

When you post, please tell us the Oregon series you have

Tks

Wow, you sure are obsessive about knowing what model they are using. Just as a note all of the x50 models use the same firmware and all of the x00 model share the same firmware as well.

Edited by ryan3295

When you post, please tell us the Oregon series you have

Tks

Wow, you sure are obsessive about knowing what model they are using. Just as a note all of the x50 models use the same firmware and all of the x00 model share the same firmware as well.

Sure, know that but this is a "generic" thread - Says Oregon betas

So which one would be helpful ;)

Depending on which you have either could be helpful. If you have an OR550, you use the v3.51β...

Solid 51 or hollow?

Take it outside turn it on and let it "soak" for a new almanac.

After the update my 550 first started up with a blank almanac. Then acquired a full new one from left to right full screen width.

Others had no WAAS either until after "soaking"

Thanks for the reassurance Grasscatcher. I tried 3 times soaking it till tonight it finally grabbed solid lock on 51 for me and displayed all "Ds", yah!!

For a while I was of a mind to think vds was on to something when this was posted;

Can't you picture a bunch of Garmin developers sitting at the bar late one night and one of them saying something like "those blasted users and their stupid WAAS requests - how'bout if we just edit the display to randomly make D's appear and they'll think we changed something....."

Left mine stationary with V5.51b for about 10 min and got strong green bars across the board to include sat 51, all D's except for 51 then moved about.

Accuracy down to 10-12' but was getting this wo WAAS, even got some D's wo an associated bar at all? Can this happen, guess so?

Went indoors and as expected, accuracy jumped up to high teens low 20s and lost 51 but still some Ds

Could there be a program line that places Ds versus acquiring?

My experience with WAAS - assuming I have a relatively clear view to my best WAAS satellite - is similar to other owner's. The lock is fast, reported accuracy is down to about 9'. However as soon as I step under any type of tree cover it goes away. I was prepared to test accuracy against my reference track this weekend but I was never able to get WAAS lock in the woods where I run the tests.

Are others seeing similar behavior?

GO$Rs

My experience with WAAS - assuming I have a relatively clear view to my best WAAS satellite - is similar to other owner's. The lock is fast, reported accuracy is down to about 9'. However as soon as I step under any type of tree cover it goes away. I was prepared to test accuracy against my reference track this weekend but I was never able to get WAAS lock in the woods where I run the tests.

Are others seeing similar behavior?

GO$Rs

Yes, with the new Beta's installed on both a 400t and a 550t. I'm usually able to retain the WAAS lock on the road, but as you mentioned...it drops off the screen quickly when under leaf canopy.

Bill

One thing I noticed with this update is that when WAAS is enabled, I seem to be getting my "GPSr drift" back. One road I regularly travel and fairly consistently track to the road has a a few track logs that drift to 100-300 feet off the road, then back to the road. Interestingly enough, I saw the pattern was somewhat symmetrical. One time it drifted off to the north, and another it drifted to the south....

Went indoors and as expected, accuracy jumped up to high teens low 20s and lost 51 but still some Ds

Could there be a program line that places Ds versus acquiring?

No. It is not necessary to have an immediate connection to one of the WAAS (or EGNOS) satellites to benefit from recent correction information. The correction data "expires" (interesting line of inquiry - will have to look up the timeframe) at some point after it is acquired, but not immediately. So even a snapshot of WAAS data remains valid for some period of time.

update was no problem on my Oregon 200 and now I see lots of D's finally.

dadgum, that is exactly what I was thinking. Well I will just have faith in the new accuracy and it won't matter. :)

Was highly critical of my Oregon 200, both posting here and to Garmin, for accuracy, acquisition and rotation of the screen when stopped or slowing. Acquisition is now virtually immediate; rotation has ceased to be an issue.

Most interestingly is the apparent accuracy. Getting WAAS on all sats. except for 51; Nuvi 650/Oregon lat/long used to vary by .023 to .050. Now, consistently they are within .002.

Just verified at airport, and the Oregon was +.001/.000 compared with published coordinates.

Pretty pleased with this update and the unit.

Getting WAAS on all sats. except for 51;
Saw that comment above as well. Understand that 51 IS a WAAS satellite, and is in geostationary orbit. It's supplies the info that gives you all of those "Ds" for the GPS constellation up there, but since it's not a "GPS" satellite, doesn't have a "D" of its own. Edited by ecanderson

... Understand that 51 IS a WAAS satellite, and is in geostationary orbit. It's supplies the info that gives you all of those "Ds" for the GPS constellation up there, but since it's not a "GPS" satellite, doesn't have a "D" of its own.

I've wondered about this with the Oregon series. I can see the WAAS satellites (48 & 51) but have never seen them with a 'D' or a solid bar on my Oregon200. I just pulled out my old 76C and it will do both (I'm currently seeing a solid bar with a 'D' for 48). So the 76 series can use the WAAS satellites for ranging (as indicated by the solid bar) but I'm not sure about the newer chipsets.

Has anyone seen a solid bar for a WAAS satellite on their Oregon?