Who is geocaching NOT for?

The variety and scope of caching makes it suitable for the fit and the unfit, families and loners, the old and the young, the abled and disabled, the city-dwelling and the country-folk, the SUV owners and the public transport users, the adventurous and the tame, the avant-garde and the traditional.

So who is caching NOT for? So far I can think of only one: jailbirds. :blink:

The variety and scope of caching makes it suitable for the fit and the unfit, families and loners, the old and the young, the abled and disabled, the city-dwelling and the country-folk, the SUV owners and the public transport users, the adventurous and the tame, the avant-garde and the traditional.

The dead and the unundead. Yeah that's 2 uns.

They get to be cached.

MrsB :mad:

Hmm, I wonder if something similar can be produced to look for plastic specifically...

The claim is

The end result is an "auditory image" in which objects in the environment seem to emit "sounds" to the user, with objects of different shapes and textures emitting subtly different sounds, such that the user can distinguish between them.

I'm positive that a LnL the same relative size and shape of an ammo can would reflect differently.

Frell I bet with practice they would have a leg up on us.

Oh Oh I hear that pine cone has a metal core!

I thought you left your cache sitting in the open, I had no idea you made a ghillie suit for it until I picked it up.

Those people who are too scared to leave their homes? Or people who are too large to leave their homes.

I guess they could armchair some virts though...

You'd be surprised, but there is a very large percentage of people that spend very little time outdoors. They leave their house, get in their car, go to work, might go shopping, or to the movies afterwards, bowling, church, ect.,but other than traveling between buildings to a mode of transportation, they don't go outside at all. :blink:

Geocaching is not for

- Hoarders, this group includes people who take swag but leave nothing, steal caches and keep trackables

- Cheaters, this includes people who 'find' caches they haven't

- The very foolish, this group includes people who go out unprepared and/or are potential Darwin Award Candidates.

- Vandals, this group includes people who alter or damage public and/or private property to hide or find a cache.

- Whingers, shut up, use your eyes, not your mouth.

- People with no sense of humor, if you can't look back upon that one incident and laugh, you're going to hate this game.

- Hypochondriacs - Out in the open air, touching unsanitary caches, moldy logs, mosquitoes, urushiol, etc.

- Rule breakers - Placing caches where they should not, violating park hours and generally giving the game a bad reputation.

- The utterly careless - Leave caches in the open, fail stealth when stealth is essential, don't properly close caches, or report cache issues to COs

- Poor cache-crafters - Those make caches which look to the average uninitiated like a pipe bomb.

- Abandoners - If you decide to leave the game, please retrieve or put your caches up for adoption.

- Those lacking common sense - may be one or more of the above.

Geocaching is for

- People who like to have fun

- People who like to meet other like-minded people

- People who are trustworthy, observe rules

- People who are crafty cache-crafters

- People who are cagey puzzle writers

- People who love the thrill of the hunt

- People who love to solve puzzles

- People who prepare themselves for their outting

- People who want to give back to the game

Edited by DragonsWest

You'd be surprised, but there is a very large percentage of people that spend very little time outdoors.

It wouldn't surprise me at all. I once saw the results of a poll. One of the questions was "True or False: the moon can sometimes be seen in the daytime." Something close to 40% of the respondents said it was false.

Some people rarely go out doors. Some people never look at the sky. :blink:

You'd be surprised, but there is a very large percentage of people that spend very little time outdoors.

It wouldn't surprise me at all. I once saw the results of a poll. One of the questions was "True or False: the moon can sometimes be seen in the daytime." Something close to 40% of the respondents said it was false.

When I lived in Michigan I was quite aware of the poor physical condition many around me were in - moderately overweight to greatly so. Even lean people (perhaps due to their diet or genetic make-up) who were not physically active and fit.

I move to Central-coastal California and people are out and about in greater numbers - not very many people are as, shall we say, 'Large' .

Years later I would hear the AMA or some other group had done studies on regional health concerns, it turns out that due to the length and outdoor conditions of winter in the Midwest a lot of people just disappear indoors for the duration of winter, plop themselves in front of the TV or disappear into their hobbies until Spring came around. While there are those who go to the gym or brave the elements to run, they are a small percentage of the population. I'll admit even I didn't do much for my own health when I lived there, usually parked at the computer or TV during the winter months, with the odd visit to ski runs in the northern Lower Peninsula.

The weather in coastal California is Mediterranean, usually between 40 F and 70 F, rains usually only in the Spring and then has a long string of months of relatively dry weather. There are thousands of acres of parks with hundreds of miles of trails, where people are out walking, biking or horseback riding. Sometimes its hard to even get a parking spot near the trailhead, there are so many people hitting the park trails.

Even my lifestyle changed and I became an active mountain biker and road cyclist - though I've largely moved off the wheels onto my own two feet. (I also have a telescope, so can not only see the Moon in daylight, but Jupiter as well!)

My brother is one of them. I bought him a hand held GPS awhile ago, but he just isn't interested in going outside. He spends his free time watching TV and on the computer. He can't even say what the weather, or outside temperature within 20 degrees is. It's ashame. Some people eventually discover geocaching and are enthused by all the previously unknown places around them, others just don't care.

Agoraphobics.

Some people never look at the sky. :(

Why would you do that? The cache is not hidden there. (well, except for that ISS thingie - and looking at it won't get you there).

Next up: The Geostationary Blimp Cache! :laughing:

Possibly a topic for that thread about: what is the largest cache you've ever found... I think that a blimp would definitely qualify! :(

Edited by ADTCacheur

So who is caching NOT for? So far I can think of only one: jailbirds. :laughing:

Who says the undead not cache?

Geocaching is not for

- Hoarders, this group includes people who take swag but leave nothing, steal caches and keep trackables

- Cheaters, this includes people who 'find' caches they haven't

- The very foolish, this group includes people who go out unprepared and/or are potential Darwin Award Candidates.

- Vandals, this group includes people who alter or damage public and/or private property to hide or find a cache.

- Whingers, shut up, use your eyes, not your mouth.

- People with no sense of humor, if you can't look back upon that one incident and laugh, you're going to hate this game.

- Hypochondriacs - Out in the open air, touching unsanitary caches, moldy logs, mosquitoes, urushiol, etc.

- Rule breakers - Placing caches where they should not, violating park hours and generally giving the game a bad reputation.

- The utterly careless - Leave caches in the open, fail stealth when stealth is essential, don't properly close caches, or report cache issues to COs

- Poor cache-crafters - Those make caches which look to the average uninitiated like a pipe bomb.

- Abandoners - If you decide to leave the game, please retrieve or put your caches up for adoption.

- Those lacking common sense - may be one or more of the above.

That should be on the home page with a message that says:

If you meet any of the characteristics above please click on the back button of your browser or click here to leave this page. Do not create an account, do not use our services, do not try to find caches, and do not attempt to communicate with the other users of this site.

Alternately there can be a section in the Terms of Use that says: The Site is not to be used by people who are:

So who is caching NOT for? So far I can think of only one: jailbirds. :laughing:

So does the 2 uns rule out vampires because I'm pretty sure they can do night caches. Perhaps one like this:

GC20EAF

Sadly, geocaching is not very practical when you're blind. At least, not without help.

Yeah, I took a client who is visually impaired out for a geocaching experience once. If you pick the right kind of cache, it's possible. It involves a lot of feeling around though, and who here has ever stuck their hand somewhere they wish they hadn't?! ...ugh. Someone who's blind could easily get themselves to the general area with a trekker (talking gps) but it's still hit or miss. And forget about signing the logbook.

Who says the undead not cache?

Um... that is 2 uns as mentioned. The undead is not the unundead, thank you.

So does the 2 uns rule out vampires because I'm pretty sure they can do night caches. Perhaps one like this:

GC20EAF

Yes it rules out vampires, they are undead not unundead.

Note the UNUNdead... undead can cache, unundead are completely dead and cannot move :( poor unundead

actually, the unundead are anything but undead, therefore unundead would be anybody who's dead or alive, just not undead... I think I'll stop, I'm getting confused. :laughing:

The un in undead means to be deprived of. If you where to deprive them of their undeath then they are unundead.

This is not to be confused with becoming alive as it would revert one to a state before death negating the string.

So the unundead are those who where undead before their current state of death.

Some people rarely go out doors. Some people never look at the sky. :laughing:

So true. A few years ago on a youth group campout, one of the parents asked me what the white streak across the night sky was - they'd never seen the Milky Way before.

Note the UNUNdead... undead can cache, unundead are completely dead and cannot move :( poor unundead

actually, the unundead are anything but undead, therefore unundead would be anybody who's dead or alive, just not undead... I think I'll stop, I'm getting confused. :laughing:

The un in undead means to be deprived of. If you where to deprive them of their undeath then they are unundead.

This is not to be confused with becoming alive as it would revert one to a state before death negating the string.

So the unundead are those who where undead before their current state of death.

The geocaching forums at least are not for people prone to headaches...