Found an unlisted benchmark

Rathergohiking

I found a benchmark while hiking today. I was all excited about logging it when I got back home. However, when I tried to find it on geocaching.com the nearest listed benchmark was about 2.1 miles away. It appears to me that the benchmark disk I found has never been listed on the web site. I would like to get this benchmark listed on geocaching.com, if possible. Can you? If so, what is the process?

Edited by rathergohiking

I found a benchmark while hiking today. I was all excited about logging it when I got back home. However, when I tried to find it on geocaching.com the nearest listed benchmark was about 2.1 miles away. It appears to me that the benchmark disk I found has never been listed on the web site. I would like to get this benchmark listed on geocaching.com, if possible. Can you? If so, what is the process?

Different agencies placed benchmarks. NGS benchmarks are listed online. You may have found a USGS benchmark which I believe is an agency that does not list their marks online.

Hope this helps. You might find additional info if you google "spirit leveling"

-Steve

Edited by sbennett1298

Hi Guys,

Different agencies placed benchmarks. NGS benchmarks are listed online. You may have found a USGS benchmark which I believe is an agency that does not list their marks online.

Hope this helps. You might find additional info if you google "spirit leveling"

-Steve

...and what if you've found an NGS benchmark that's not in GC's DB? That DB is now ridiculously out of date. I have one that was created in 2000, which was when the DB was created. The data was dl'd from NGS themselves. Any help on this front?

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

...and what if you've found an NGS benchmark that's not in GC's DB? That DB is now ridiculously out of date. I have one that was created in 2000, which was when the DB was created. The data was dl'd from NGS themselves. Any help on this front?

Thanks.

You will not be able to log it on the GC.com site, but there is always logging it with the NGS (plenty of folks here to help you do that.) and then that log will show up on the Holograph statistics page. There are columns that show how many logs have been made to GC.com, NGS and by whom and it gives your standing in the number of logs with either GC or the NGS or both. If you log with the NGS you don't get credit in your GC.com profile for benchmarks recovered.

Just something to ponder. :)

John

Actually, there are thousands of USGS marks in the NGS database. However, there are thousands more that aren't. Same with many other agencies and commercial surveyors.

Patty

I have recovered some old survey markers (NGS & TVA) too. The Waymarking site was the only place that I could find to list them. :yikes: