Geocaching Under Water

The Caching Place

Hello Geocachers World Wide!!!

Let's have some underwater fun!

I was talking with a group of my friends yesterday in Everett, WA, USA who are not Geocachers, but are skin / snorkel divers, who asked me about exotic underwater Geocaches. They would love to dive for them (15 feet or less). I know they and other swimmers throughout the world would love to find additional under water Geocaches. We came up with the following:

There are five (5) major oceans in the world (Arctic, Atlantic, Indian, Pacific, and Southern Ocean). They want to see an additional Geocache in each of the five (5) oceans.

I'm donating ten (10) Pocket Decoder Geocoins and ten(10 ) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Geocoins to five individuals who are willing to hide a Geocache under water (15 feet or less) in an exotic locale in each Ocean (one locale per ocean). Each Cache will have one (1) Pocket Decoder and One (1) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Geocoin.

How will the winners be determined? Submit your locale and a brief reason why it should be selected, history, personal meaning to you, etc., etc. Just reply to this thread in this forum.

Once the five (5) individual winners have been determined, than I will send each of the five individuals two (2) Pocket Decoders and two (2) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Geocoins. One set is to hide and one set is a gift to the Geocachers.

World's Simplest Rules:

Locales will be selected from replies to this topic thread

Jim Berk will determine the five (5) locales based on the submissions to this Geocaching forum by June 27th, 2010.

The winning entries must be able to hide the Geocache in locale they submitted for by August 1, 2010

Caches must be under water 24 hours a day and must not be deeper than 15 feet.

They must be placed by swimmers holding their breath, no SCUBA or artificial air supply.

Caches must be logged onto Geocaching.com by August 5th, 2010.

All normal Geocaching Rules apply as stated on geocaching.com website.

If there are any questions email jim@thecachingplace.com

Winners will be posted as a reply to this thread on June 27th, 2010.

Lastly, I reserve the right to change a rule or add a rule to clarify the contest if necessary.

End of Rules

I hope everybody has fun!

Cordially

Jim

Wish I could help... But the largest body of water near me is the Ohio river... And I don't know too many people that would willingly dive into that.

Hi Goosefraba1!

I live in the State of Washington near Seattle. I have never visited the Ohio River. I'm assuming the reluctance "to willingly dive" is because of pollution or is it something else like temperature?

Thank you for your comment!

Cordially,

Jim

Just cannot fathom (pun intended) why you wouldn't want to include, Lakes Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie or Ontario. Many of us are on a salt-free diet, ya know! :blink:

Hi "G6itchee-Gummee!

Salt-free diet...... You know you might be right.LOL

I lived for a brief period of time in Kenosha, WI at the marina. Lake Michigan sure seemed like an ocean when I sailed on it. If enough interested people are on your "salt-free" diet, I might change the rules.

Cordially,

Jim

The Ohio river isn't quite as polluted as it used to be.... But with Pittsburg upriver from us and a few nuclear power plants... And several industries on the river... It's just not trusting all of the companies to comply with EPA guidelines for dumpage of waste into the river. Also, there is a lot of farming near he river... Leading to washing of fertilizers and pesticides into the river. Not to mention the amount of bodies pulled out of the river. You just never know what your in for. I do agree that fresh water should be added... There are very beautiful places for caches on the lakes.... And what about the Mediterranean? Not that I have the money to go :blink:

The Ohio river isn't quite as polluted as it used to be.... But with Pittsburg upriver from us and a few nuclear power plants... And several industries on the river... It's just not trusting all of the companies to comply with EPA guidelines for dumpage of waste into the river. Also, there is a lot of farming near he river... Leading to washing of fertilizers and pesticides into the river. Not to mention the amount of bodies pulled out of the river. You just never know what your in for. I do agree that fresh water should be added... There are very beautiful places for caches on the lakes.... And what about the Mediterranean? Not that I have the money to go :blink:

Hi Goosefraba1!

WOW!!! I would also be afraid to swim in the Ohio River you just described!!

Thank you for the clarification!

Cordially,

Jim

There is one here already, does that count? We have tried to get at it with snorkel gear but it is in a small cave at the end of a coral ledge and there is often a huge swell there. If you are not bedecked in protective gear there's really no point in going. We did try, but it was too dangerous for us to try with little experience. It's a cache in the Indian Ocean, Mettam's Maw GC11R4J.

There is one here already, does that count? We have tried to get at it with snorkel gear but it is in a small cave at the end of a coral ledge and there is often a huge swell there. If you are not bedecked in protective gear there's really no point in going. We did try, but it was too dangerous for us to try with little experience. It's a cache in the Indian Ocean, Mettam's Maw GC11R4J.

Hi Gardengorilla!

No, these must be new caches not existing ones. They should not be placed where the average Geocacher could get hurt.

Thank you for your interest!

Cordially,

Jim

Oh I'd love to do one in S. Fl (Ft Laud. Area but could do Miami) but I'm not supposed to go there until the closer to the 13 of Aug and I'd have scout for places. Although I might be able to get friends and family to narrow it down. And I do still have some ideas from when I used to live there. My family would love to help maintain it, so that wouldn't be an issue. We usually go twice a year. Too bad it has to be placed quite that soon. I'd actually move my trip forward by my uncle Santa Claus is going to be there starting on the 20th and I don't want to miss seeing him. (Yes I really do have a jolly uncle with a white beard and hair.) http://itsreallysantaclaus.com/Home.html It sounds like so much fun to do this. Maybe I will hide one when I get there anyway. I really love 20,000 leagues coin BTW. I'll have to see what the other one looks like.