Opinion of cache types

Hi All,

Yes I'm a newbie, but rapidly getting sucked in! I'd appreciate the elders opinion on cache types, specifically nano/micros. I work in London and this is where i do most of my (little so far) caching. I've seen some fairly negative comments about the nano/micros and wanted to gauge general opinion, no vitriol please I'm a friendly fella :drama:

What is your opinion on more "natural" cache types, say a rock/snail or stick or something similar. Small enough to count as small or nano but maybe they present more of a challenge, with a suitable hint? I've made a few such caches myself and am eager to release them into the wild, I have a few good locations noted but wanted to gauge opinion.

Thanks for your time

asthornton

Small snip

What is your opinion on more "natural" cache types, say a rock/snail or stick or something similar. Small enough to count as small or nano but maybe they present more of a challenge, with a suitable hint? I've made a few such caches myself and am eager to release them into the wild, I have a few good locations noted but wanted to gauge opinion.

Thanks for your time

asthornton

Must admit I hate nano/film tubes but still tend to do them anyway.

For me your more natural approach is better.

However as you are a London cacher please beware the security issues that may arise..

Royal parks I belive are out of action..

Good luck and enjoy

Hi All,

Yes I'm a newbie, but rapidly getting sucked in! I'd appreciate the elders opinion on cache types, specifically nano/micros. I work in London and this is where i do most of my (little so far) caching. I've seen some fairly negative comments about the nano/micros and wanted to gauge general opinion, no vitriol please I'm a friendly fella :drama:

Thanks for your time

asthornton

For myself if a cache requires a bit of stealth I have no problem with it. If it's an unusual container I have no problem with it.

Personally I get irritated by caches that say "stealth required" but are hidden in places where it's simply not possible to use adequate stealth. If something is hidden under a park bench there are all sorts of covers that might be used to retrieve it. If it's hidden in a place where you have to climb to get it, or stand on something and stretch, or do something very unusual that isn't all but instantaneous, then in a central London location especially it's going to be very hard to pick a time to go for the grab, and even harder to explain away what you're doing if a muggle appears at the most inopportune moment.

If you're using a snail, or a rock, or something that looks entirely natural that could make a great cache although I would be inclined to make it clear in the text that it's not your regular film pot or magnetic nipple. Also be aware of anything that could easily be picked up and swept away by people not realising what it was - it would be a shame if someone kicked a stone down a street drain not realising it was the cache they were seeking!

Just as a follow up.

Probably my fave London cache is this one.. Total mayhem indeed.

Well done to the owner for keeping this running. Superb little gem.

And object to look at..

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fe-69897fe5e783

Edited to say I think it may have moved a little..

Used to be in the middle of the island very low down lol..

Edited by Madyokel

The old rule of thumb was always hide the biggest cache you can.

If that means the biggest cache you can hide is a mirco then that's fine. Urban hides by neccessity are often very often small.

But I think lots of people out there really appriciate something bigger whenever it's possible.

THere's no doubt that a bit of imagination helps though. Something like a fake snail is soooooo much nicer to find than yet another film pot!

I will probably get flamed for this being a newbie but I cant understand why everyone hates micro and nano caches I love them. I have found the esiest type of cache to find is the tupperware box I mean there is only so many ways to hide one and although I havent got many finds yet already I can spot a tupperware straight away.

Thanks to all for their input, I'm now more convinced to use some more imaginative micro/nanos in an urban environment.

Watch for my next hide, I'll post here, please tell me what you think...

(Give me a few days though, site located I need some of those nice "rite in the rain" logs though ;-))

Thanks to all for their input, I'm now more convinced to use some more imaginative micro/nanos in an urban environment.

(Give me a few days though, site located I need some of those nice "rite in the rain" logs though ;-))

Look forward to seeing the hide !

I also work in central London so rather accept that caches around here are going to be micros or nanos ... but echoing previous poster's comments;

i) Hide the biggest cache you can given the constraints of the location.

ii) The more imaginative the hide, the better the cache.

Whilst I really prefer going after ammo cans in the countryside, I do have a micro as one of my all time favourite caches Fort Hamilton. OK, the exotic location helped but it is a good illustration of the two pointers - a micro was as big a cache as was feasible but the cache trail (and final hide) were both quite whacky ideas in their own way ... I won't give too much more away just in case you are ever in Bermuda.

Look forward to seeing the hide !

I also work in central London so rather accept that caches around here are going to be micros or nanos ... but echoing previous poster's comments;

i) Hide the biggest cache you can given the constraints of the location.

ii) The more imaginative the hide, the better the cache.

Whilst I really prefer going after ammo cans in the countryside, I do have a micro as one of my all time favourite caches Fort Hamilton. OK, the exotic location helped but it is a good illustration of the two pointers - a micro was as big a cache as was feasible but the cache trail (and final hide) were both quite whacky ideas in their own way ... I won't give too much more away just in case you are ever in Bermuda.

Personally I have no problems with nano's, actually sometimes they are as much fun to hide/find as other caches.

I quite like micros, and nanos, as they take more finding and you have to be more inventive in the design and hiding. Anyone can find a tupperware box or ammo can (especially muggles when they are hidden in piles olf rocks or up trees). :angry:

Can't stand hundreds of film pots on a trail, especially if its a puzzle and the final cache is a micro too.

There are some excellent, very sneaky containers available, or to be made, such as your ideas. I think they will be well accepted. Good luck!