What do you like better?

Do you prefer knowing you stumped someone with one of your hides? Or do you prefer it when they find your hide?

I just hid a cache and I am waiting for people to go find it. (GC2970) I personally like more it when people find my hides. I like to see people happy and know that I am helping make this game more fun. Its cool to have people DNF sometimes because I feel like I did a good job on a well hiddend cache.

I like to place caches that I would enjoy if I set out to find them. I don't enjoy long, fruitless hunts. I have one cache that was intentionally difficult (it was a cache for the Sheriff of Nottingham as part of a Robin Hood series along the Sherwood Forest fire road, and we all know the sheriff was evil). But for the most part I wonder what I did wrong (or if the cache is still there) when someone can't find them.

I don't think any of my cache hides are particularly difficult. Hidden well enough to protect them from bears and muggles. And I usually leave good hints. The cache is (usually) there to take you to an intresting place. On the Unknown caches, however, solving the puzzle to get the coords might take some efort. Hee hee hee.

As I am still planning my first hide, and getting everything ready for it I know that the puzzles will be difficult to hide for the most part. I do want people to find them though. I just want them to enjoy the fun that it will be in getting there. If people DNF the final, I will do a simple thing like email them, and ask them what the coordinates are that they used. That way if they were wrong I can let them know.

I'm in the middle of deciding on this conundrum. I placed a specialty cache in a local river over a month ago thinking ahead of time that not many people would find it but surely a cacher with a boat or with a friend that has one would surely jump on it before too long. But noone has. I know there are a few people interested in the cache but don't have access to a boat. They politely asked if I'd share mine, but I told them all I wanted to wait a while and see if someone ever logged it on their own. I think I like it much more when I place a nice regular size cache that's informative and relatively easy to find. It's more important to me that the contents are good and people enjoy it.

I largely place caches to lead people to an interesting spot. I try to share, why I brought them there. Finding a cache is just a bonus.

These are the types of caches I prefer to find. I really enjoy going to interesting locations, the cache is just there to give me enough motivation to get off the couch and go out into the field.

I admit that I do like stumping them, at least for awhile. Frankly, that is my incentive to come up with good hides! I have been willing to give clues, and usually ask how much of a clue they want. I started hiding early on when I had few finds and realized that there were lots of neat places between my home and office where there were no caches.

But the responses that I've had from some of the more experienced cachers locally have been that they were leery of hides by someone with so few finds....until they found my caches. I've built most of mine and have worked to come up with creative things and it is really quite fun to have someone with thousands of finds asking me for multiple clues before they find it. And some of my caches, if folks only knew just how many emails I get from folks who are, I don't know -- too embarrassed to log a DNF, they'd not feel so bad about not finding them first time.

And I confess that I find it a bit...rewarding....to get a DNF post and email from someone with lots of finds who is positive the cache is missing...only to have me run out to check it and then tell them that it is still there!

I'll also admit that some of the fun is lost when after a few finds of a really tricky cache suddenly get logged as easy, quick, PnGs, etc. and I know darn well that there is a whole lot of PAF'ing going on.

Interesting that this question should come up now. I just asked myself a question along those lines. I'm planning a series of caches that I'll be placing during the summer.

Originally, I intended a set of puzzle caches. I've changed it to a set based around the local flora and fauna. My first is dedicated to the Box Turtle-- it's awaiting approval from the Park Police right now.

I decided that I'd rather have a bunch of finds than just a few. Here's my logic: This area has too few caches, and too few cachers. I figure that with more caches and more finds, at some point, it achieves "critical mass" and the popularity takes off. It's like a path through the woods. Someone has to start it, but once it's established, everybody uses it.

So my aim is to create more caches and more finds. The puzzles will have to wait.

I thought about this briefly while I was thinking about a potential cache I want to place (but right now don't have the time to seriously work on it). The area is important to me and has some historical significance. The walk to the general area where I would want the cache to be isn't exactly easy. I want people who put the effort in to find that cache to find it so if they feel the need can go on and explore the historical aspect of the area. So I wouldn't make it super difficult to find based on that.

I will avoid caches by the person who hides them hard in the area because they're just not that enjoyable to me. I want to experience the area. Not spend hours looking for a hollowed out pine cone.

I enjoy the hunt. I also find it very satisfying when I find a very hard cache, and it gives me a great excuse when I can't find it and it's rated **** difficulty.

I was thinking of planting a cache. Plastic test tube (or something of the sort)in a hole in a rock, with a little rocky camouflaged patch over it. Would that make people love me or hate me?

I place caches to share the fun with others, not frustrate them.

Think that it's key to remember that what is frustrating to some is a welcome challenge to others.

I have hidden my share of challenging caches. But if it's just a needle in a haystack that takes no imagination to hide and takes a warped individual to enjoy searching. In the end what is the fun if nobody can find your cache?

I guess I'm all over the map on this one. When I first started to hide caches, I was very ambitious. My first cache was an elaborate and very difficult 3-stage multi. Another early one was at least as difficult and elaborate. I've hidden quite a few that were maybe not that involved, but still very challenging. But I've also hidden some that were pretty easy, but brought you to what I hoped would be interesting, possibly historic sites. A few others were just long walks in incredible parks. With those, when I could, I also hid "carrot on a stick" caches along the way, just to get you near. I've hidden caches because the container and/or camo idea came first, and I found the right place to use it.

The main point that I am trying to make is that all of my caches had a purpose... to me, at least. None that I can think of were placed just because there was an empty spot to hide one. The reasons have varied, but there have been reasons. In my opinion, that is important.

Do you prefer knowing you stumped someone with one of your hides? Or do you prefer it when they find your hide?

I just hid a cache and I am waiting for people to go find it. (GC2970) I personally like more it when people find my hides. I like to see people happy and know that I am helping make this game more fun. Its cool to have people DNF sometimes because I feel like I did a good job on a well hiddend cache.

I guess I'm middle of the road here, I've placed both easy and hard caches. Getting a DNF log on the harder ones means I accompished the goal for making it challenge. On the otherhand, I placed a cleaverly hidden cache (GC1MCAH) a short distance from my house that I can watch from the dining room window. I love watch my fellow cachers searching for it and then reading the logs afterward. I'll even wander on over and play hot - cold if it looks like they are going to give up. My goal was to bring the cacher to a disappearing piece of americana as well as provide a challenge that requires use of geoskills.

I like it when people find my caches. If someone logs a DNF I immediately send them an email asking of they would like a better hint.

Truth be told, I would tell someone outright where my cache is if they want to know.

Interesting. I don't go immediately out and offer hints but I'm always happy to help out those who ask. The problem there is just how much of a hint do I give? Give it away? Or just a nudge in the right direction? I wish they would let me know how much of a hint they wanted when they asked. Usually I just give 'em the nudge and tell all they gotta do is ask if they want more help.

I like to mix & match them. None of my caches are particularly difficult, nor are they very far off a road (well, knowschad knows what roads I mean). But I do like to make them earn the smiley. I have plans for some evil ones (not micros, either), but it will be known before one goes after it -- assuming they do read the cache page. :mad: If they don't... I look forward to reading their DNF post. :blink:

I have two caches placed. The first is set in a nice park that I didn't know about and I was surprised others didn't also.

It was a nice cammo'd lock and lock with some nice trinkets in it. The second was a micro in a spruce tree.

I love to find ammo cans while on a hike but sometimes I like to find caches while I am "working".

I will try to give back what I get.

(still carrying around a nice ammo can stocked and ready to go in the back of my SUV. Just need a good spot to put it. You know... historical and such)

Think that it's key to remember that what is frustrating to some is a welcome challenge to others.

I feel very that few Geocachers like to be "challenged". Whether you're an old schooler hike in the woods to an ammo box type of guy like myself, or you're a numbers junkie running around to 50 parking lots a weekend. I pretty much expect to find every cache I set out to look for. Of course that doesn't always happen. :blink:

I like it when people find my caches. If someone logs a DNF I immediately send them an email asking of they would like a better hint.

Truth be told, I would tell someone outright where my cache is if they want to know.

Interesting. I don't go immediately out and offer hints but I'm always happy to help out those who ask. The problem there is just how much of a hint do I give? Give it away? Or just a nudge in the right direction? I wish they would let me know how much of a hint they wanted when they asked. Usually I just give 'em the nudge and tell all they gotta do is ask if they want more help.

In general I want people to find my caches and will provide an additional hint (once a cache has a FTF) to whoever may ask for one.

However, the way I see it, there are a *lot* of caches that are very easy park-n-grabs that can be found. Rather than promote the "find as many caches as possible" mentality I have recently decided that I'm not going to place any real easy caches. If someone wants a smiley from one of my caches they're going to have to work a bit. Hopefully, at least everyone that does find it (and even those that don't) will still get a smile, which, IMHO is more important than a smiley face in an online log. If someone doesn't want to spend the effort to walk a bit further, or search a bit longer for a more difficult cache there are plenty of easy caches for them to look for.

I feel very that few Geocachers like to be "challenged". Whether you're an old schooler hike in the woods to an ammo box type of guy like myself, or you're a numbers junkie running around to 50 parking lots a weekend. I pretty much expect to find every cache I set out to look for. Of course that doesn't always happen. :mad:

I'm not assuming the desire to be challenged, I'm told either in email or in person when I bump into someone while I'm caching that they like them. And I do offer other clues but there are quite a few cachers around here who decline and say that they would rather make a couple of tries first.

I know that for myself I enjoy the challenge. I've looked for a few caches more than once and feel great when after that then get that "ah-ha" moment. Which is different than finding something after realizing that the clue is totally lame or only understandable if you're from their planet. :blink:

IMHO, the opposite of that is getting to the cache site, and before you even get a moment to ponder what might be....you look over and say to yourself, "oh look, it's a very obvious 'geotrail' to the cache." And at that point I'm probably already thinking about where I'll go to next. For the same reason that I try to not look at hints before I've had a go at it without one.

In general I want people to find my caches and will provide an additional hint (once a cache has a FTF) to whoever may ask for one.

However, the way I see it, there are a *lot* of caches that are very easy park-n-grabs that can be found. Rather than promote the "find as many caches as possible" mentality I have recently decided that I'm not going to place any real easy caches. If someone wants a smiley from one of my caches they're going to have to work a bit.

Hopefully, at least everyone that does find it (and even those that don't) will still get a smile, which, IMHO is more important than a smiley face in an online log. If someone doesn't want to spend the effort to walk a bit further, or search a bit longer for a more difficult cache there are plenty of easy caches for them to look for.

Exactly on the same page as me. :blink:

I have hidden my share of challenging caches. But if it's just a needle in a haystack that takes no imagination to hide and takes a warped individual to enjoy searching. In the end what is the fun if nobody can find your cache?

We have a bunch of those tossing a rock in a pile of rocks or tossing a hollowed out brick in a pile of bricks sorts of caches here. And for the most part they're generic sorts of caches. Or tossing a micro or nano under the straw in a straw covered lot.

With the nano in the woods I found, I don't find these particularly creative. I enjoy the more difficult hides if they are least creative and take me to someplace interesting. But just a generic, "I want to make a beast of a cache because I can" cache doesn't do it for me.

We have a bunch of those tossing a rock in a pile of rocks or tossing a hollowed out brick in a pile of bricks sorts of caches here. And for the most part they're generic sorts of caches. Or tossing a micro or nano under the straw in a straw covered lot.

With the nano in the woods I found, I don't find these particularly creative. I enjoy the more difficult hides if they are least creative and take me to someplace interesting. But just a generic, "I want to make a beast of a cache

because I can" cache doesn't do it for me.

No disagreement here. I myself am definitely not talking about those tossed on, under or in the pile or whatever caches but am instead talking about something created that just blends in nicely....that you notice when you realize that the thing hidden in plain sight actually doesn't belong there.

I hide caches for others to have the fun of finding them. It's easy to make a hide so difficult that almost no one can find it. But then it would frustrate others and where is the fun in that?

The real trick is to make a hide just difficult enough so that muggles won't find it but easy enough for the average cacher to find.

I have hidden caches that cross the entire spectrum.

I have a series of urban nanos in Newport, RI. These were all placed at historic or scenic areas that can in no way handle anything larger (trust me, I tried). These get a large number of finds, especially from visitors to our fair city.

I've hidden regulars out in the woods along trails, and at spots that are quite scenic or unique.

I have a series of "park & grabs" at a local state park. However, none are hide-a-keys. All are custom built hides. Most are easy, but there are a couple that take a little thought to find. Most get "wow...great hide" logs.

I have an evil one or two as well. These are not the "fake rock in a rock pile" hide. One is a "needle in a haystack" hide, but I clearly state that in the description (this was my 100th hide, and I wanted to hide something different). It has been found by a decent number of people, and DNF'ed a few times (mostly by very new cachers).

I enjoying reading "Found It" logs (but hate "TFTC" logs), but I also enjoying logs that say they couldn't find it, but aren't giving up and that they will be back. And if they ask for a nudge, I am always will to provide one (but not an out and out gimme).

Both. I had a friend whose last name was Stump. I always thought that would be a great name for a geocacher. When he got married he actually took his wife's name.

Anyway, I have a number of stumpers out there and like to be a bit different and "push the envelope" in making the finders think about the caches. My favorite right now is a 7-stage multi that has been out for a few years and only found a few times. We need caches like this in the game - if for nothing else then for milestone caches where people can feel like they had a great and fun (if long) experience.

On the other hand I enjoy finding caches as well, and as I get older and try to find caches with my young kids I am less patient with difficult caches. Sometimes I just want to find the ^*%&*^% thing and go home.

With the nano in the woods I found, I don't find these particularly creative. I enjoy the more difficult hides if they are least creative and take me to someplace interesting. But just a generic, "I want to make a beast of a cache

because I can" cache doesn't do it for me.

No disagreement here. I myself am definitely not talking about those tossed on, under or in the pile or whatever caches but am instead talking about something created that just blends in nicely....that you notice when you realize that the thing hidden in plain sight actually doesn't belong there.

OK, me and you are pretty much on the same sheet of music. Anyone can drop a film canister in a big pile of rocks, or put a blinky nano in an old growth forest, as others have said. I see you've hidden mostly micros, and I'm guessing mostly urban ones from the handful I looked at. I think most active cachers who find a lot would apreciate them being out of the norm, and give you positive feedback for them.

OK, me and you are pretty much on the same sheet of music. Anyone can drop a film canister in a big pile of rocks, or put a blinky nano in an old growth forest, as others have said. I see you've hidden mostly micros, and I'm guessing mostly urban ones from the handful I looked at. I think most active cachers who find a lot would apreciate them being out of the norm, and give you positive feedback for them.

Yes, all of my hides are urban and all within a few miles radius of my home or office. I will say that none of my urbans are 35mm film canisters, but have a few lock-n-locks that were placed where the larger size could be accommodated! Most of mine fit into what would probably be "natural" caches, just not natural for where it is at and all of those are in plain sight. I do slip in some "normal" micros to keep everyone on their toes as people are now starting to assume that I'd have a certain kind of cache and have been known to slip in a nano where someone would assume a micro would be (and gotten DNFs for that). And I'll admit to one ammo can -- as there was a need for a TB hotel and that's kind of an obvious choice. :blink:

I like it when people find my cache. most of mine are easy but i've tossed a stinker or two in there along the way :laughing:

I was thinking of planting a cache. Plastic test tube (or something of the sort)in a hole in a rock, with a little rocky camouflaged patch over it.

depends if its in a rock bed with 9999999999999999 other rocks.

if google view shows lots of rocks it goes straight to ignore.

I was thinking of planting a cache. Plastic test tube (or something of the sort)in a hole in a rock, with a little rocky camouflaged patch over it.

depends if its in a rock bed with 9999999999999999 other rocks.

if google view shows lots of rocks it goes straight to ignore.

Nope, I was thinking more of one large rock that's already there and already has a hole. Nobody will know that's where it is until they read the clue! And even then they'll only know it's hidden somewhere involving the rock. (mwahahahaha!)