Why do YOU Geocoin?

USMCGecko

Yes I used Geocoin as a verb!

OK, so I get that the Geocoins are cool. I understand the trackability of the Geocoins. I understand the collectability of the coins. I'd probably start collecting them too if I had money to spend on them. But why do people Mint the coins? I mean it's awesome to design something and share it with everyone, but to me it seems really expensive to make something that you have to purchase a certain amount of (50-200) to give them away. Do most people mint them, then just trade them away? Do people normally resell their designs?

OK, so I get that the Geocoins are cool. I understand the trackability of the Geocoins. I understand the collectability of the coins. I'd probably start collecting them too if I had money to spend on them. But why do people Mint the coins? I mean it's awesome to design something and share it with everyone, but to me it seems really expensive to make something that you have to purchase a certain amount of (50-200) to give them away. Do most people mint them, then just trade them away? Do people normally resell their designs?

I don't just give them away - I trade them and sell them too.

Minting my own coins has given me many opportunities to obtain other coins minted by other people.

What I find sad is that I originally fell in love with coins because I loved the notion that they travel the world in my stead. But after releasing a few dozen coins and realizing that some unscrupulous players either steal them outright or keep them WAY longer than they should (2-3 weeks) without giving a care or thought to the reason WHY the coin was released (to travel) that I have now become more of a collector than a releaser of coins now.

I am also very sad to say that 95 percent of my problems with coin theft and inattention to travler etiquette is due to my fellow-US cachers. My coins traveling abroad tend to do very well and get stolen with MUCH less frequency and I rarely (if ever) have to prod someone in another country to move my coin after they have kept it too long.

I agree with TPT as well, but as a producer, its especially cool when you see your own work placed into an item that will most likely outlast your life too. It's nice to have something out there and have someone say 'such and such' made that one, and what not. I continue to make coins because its what I enjoy doing. I put xx amount of dollars into a coin production, I gift MANY, MANY coins to others, by way of direct mail and leaving them behind in geocaches for others to find & donations (more of the latter these days).

I always have about 30 coins in my cache bag when I go caching, so when I have the opportunity to talk about coins... I always have something to give away. The money from the coins that I sell is basically turned right around and put into another coin production and the cycle continues...

~J

I have a thread about this. You don't have to give them all away there are plenty of ways to mint a coin and creatively pay for it so it doesn't come all from your pocket.

For my own personal coins, I sell, trade and mint enough that leaves 50 I can give away to people...

I minted our personal coin for the sole purpose of leaving in caches for others to find. We don't leave them everywhere, just in the REALLY good caches which for us translates to:

- A cache with a nice hike or 4x4 to get to it

- An out-of-the-way gem

- Occasionally, the first cache we find in a new state (sometimes just a TB hotel)

They are non-trackable and meant to be traded for and kept.

Sadly, I don't see a lot of this anymore, partly as evidenced by the lack of activity in this thread.

Most people now (it seems) are happier just buying coins and keeping them in a collection. I have a collection mind you, but my favorites in that collection are probably the ones I've either traded for or found in caches.

I doubt many people that would even find one of my coins in a cache these days would have a clue who I am since I've not been active in here in quite a while. Too many sales, too many versions, too many coins cranked out "just because I had an idea for a coin" for my taste. Dead horse, I know.

I wanted a decent signature item to leave in caches. I'm a designer, and a fan of geocoins - so I started sketching. I was able to make a non-trackable signature coin for a very reasonable price. I have a gold version I strictly leave in caches for others to find, keep, whatever they like. I also made an enameled version for trading. That was the start of my slippery slope.

After that, I made a personal trackable. I've set a couple free, and left some as gifts in high-quality caches (like Kealia described). I've traded a bunch, and sold a couple.

I've been fortunate enough to have a couple of vendors like my ideas and produce them as well.

It's fun for me. I like designing them. I do it for entertainment, and have a notebook of sketches. They are little pieces of metal art. I am a compulsive 'maker of things'. My hobbies are all production based. I renovate my house, make quilts, garden and craft. Building and design are just things that are very satisfying to me.

It's the only way I'm able to live the lifestyle I do :(

I was able to buy the 1962 Corvette I always wanted and I just purchased a new 2010 Jeep Wrangler. I'm close to paying off my 2400 sqft log home with wrap-around deck (1 or 2 more designs should cover it) and I can buy all the nutella my heart desires.

It's all about the money man! The 3 to 4 designs I mint a year guarantees some serious bank! My goal for 2012 is a purchase of a yurt on Bora Bora. That outta take a full 4 designs to acquire that sweet piece of property :D

...and to think everyone thought I just liked to do this for the fun of it, pulled the wool over your eyes. I see retirement around 2015 :laughing: My ebay sales are funding the retirement account in case you were wondering :(

tsun

It's the only way I'm able to live the lifestyle I do :(

I was able to buy the 1962 Corvette I always wanted and I just purchased a new 2010 Jeep Wrangler. I'm close to paying off my 2400 sqft log home with wrap-around deck (1 or 2 more designs should cover it) and I can buy all the nutella my heart desires.

It's all about the money man! The 3 to 4 designs I mint a year guarantees some serious bank! My goal for 2012 is a purchase of a yurt on Bora Bora. That outta take a full 4 designs to acquire that sweet piece of property :D

...and to think everyone thought I just liked to do this for the fun of it, pulled the wool over your eyes. I see retirement around 2015 :laughing: My ebay sales are funding the retirement account in case you were wondering :(

tsun

I'm so jealous :/ ..... I want a Bora Boran yurt. I just think that yurt is a great word :D It's fun to say.... yurt.

We met Avroair, then AtlantaGal, Then Moop...it was all over but the crying after that... :laughing:

Ok... So I'm 1/3rd of the way through that list. Does this mean I'm going to be absolutely toast at the end of GW8? :(

You have no chance. :(

Yes, Avroair, I figured that after my first meeting with you!

Your recent post on how to fund the minting of them has myself and NepoKama starting to toss designs around. Oh what a quick descent into the insani... well. I guess I shouldn't call it insanity, since the team *is* Insanity-Inc.

I'm not sure how much more "damage" AtlantaGal and Moop can cause. (Well, then again. Moop *is* part of GCC)

Ah well. Off to plot and plan my first coin (not in time for GW8 unfortunately)

I JUST MADE UP SOME ID COINS THEY ARE NOT TRACKABLE JUST TO LEAVE IN MY HIDES AND MAYBE BE TAGALONGS TO SEE HOW FAR THEY GET