The Mysterious Island Geocoin

The Caching Place

4710813441_0bcca2bd44_b.jpg

Hello! As the owner of The Caching Place my favorite part of Geocaching is collaborating with artists to bring you new and exciting designs. The Mysterious Island is the second in the Tribute to Jules Verne series of Geocoins. The first was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Jules Verne is one of my favorite science fiction authors! The adventures he created are genuinely fantastic!

Each of the Geocoins is made to look like a book with a spine on the front side. They are 51mm x 36.5mm.

The artist T. Steele Jones in collaboration with The Caching Place is proud to present this new design to you.

The front side shows Captain Nemo's Nautilus approaching his secret home base, The Mysterious Island!

The back side shows a beach scene on The Mysterious Island with a secret map in a glass bottle along with a Geocaching symbol sand dollar, and a colorful menacing crab.

I've also attached the pictures of the actual 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Geocoin, the first Geocoin in the series. You can see these on my site www.thecachingplace.com.

4461387041_cf826d7c67_o.jpg

4461387029_88648aa4e7_o.jpg

I hope you enjoy them!

Cordially,

Jim Berk

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Hello!

I couldn't help but notice that no one has commented on the The Mysterious Island Geocoin we just created. No comments positive or negative.

Is it a correct assumption on my part that businesses like The Caching Place are looked upon unfavorably for posting on this forum?

The Geocoins we produce sell very well and I receive many favorable comments on my website about our Geocoins. If I'm committing a breach of etiquette please let me know and I'll cease placing this type of posting on the web.

I look forward to your comments!

Cordially,

Jim Berk

Owner

The Caching Place

Hello!

I couldn't help but notice that no one has commented on the The Mysterious Island Geocoin we just created. No comments positive or negative. ...

ok, never being one to keep quite about something and since you asked i'll put in my two cents and hopefully not my foot in my mouth.

pic #1 - if one is not familiar with jules verne the orange vehicle is just an orange thing -- kinda like a fish, maybe a submarine.

and the image is just SO busy, it is hard to tell what is what. personally i don't like coins that are all soft enamels. and this picture looks like lots of little spaces to fill with opaque colour. when you look at it you may see the subtle shadings of a volcano, when i look at it i just see clutter. too detailed.

backside - crab side - this is a little better with a recognizable object in the foreground. but then the bottle has something in it and it is hard to see what that is. especially with the extra detail and little markings showing you can see through the bottle to the sand. it is just too busy.

the first coin in the series i think has the same issues, too much going to be really clear about what is supposed to be happening. the diver caught by the purple octopus -- it took me a while to figure out what that was.

just too much detail in both coins which results in a jumble of colour.

i have noticed people will comment when they really like something but are hesitant to say when they don't and why they don't.

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl

cool looking coin...wish we had gotten the 1st...nothing wrong with your posting here, every1 else does it...course, it is the start of a 3 day weekend for every1, maybe they are just getting ready for it... :blink:

Hi DaFunkyFrogs!

Thank you for your comments.

BTW you can still purchase the first geocoin. An icon was just submitted by me to Groundspeak for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. The icon should be up next week.

Cordially,

Jim

Hello!

I couldn't help but notice that no one has commented on the The Mysterious Island Geocoin we just created. No comments positive or negative. ...

ok, never being one to keep quite about something and since you asked i'll put in my two cents and hopefully not my foot in my mouth.

pic #1 - if one is not familiar with jules verne the orange vehicle is just an orange thing -- kinda like a fish, maybe a submarine.

and the image is just SO busy, it is hard to tell what is what. personally i don't like coins that are all soft enamels. and this picture looks like lots of little spaces to fill with opaque colour. when you look at it you may see the subtle shadings of a volcano, when i look at it i just see clutter. too detailed.

backside - crab side - this is a little better with a recognizable object in the foreground. but then the bottle has something in it and it is hard to see what that is. especially with the extra detail and little markings showing you can see through the bottle to the sand. it is just too busy.

the first coin in the series i think has the same issues, too much going to be really clear about what is supposed to be happening. the diver caught by the purple octopus -- it took me a while to figure out what that was.

just too much detail in both coins which results in a jumble of colour.

i have noticed people will comment when they really like something but are hesitant to say when they don't and why they don't.

rsg

Hi RSG!

First I appreciate your comments. I think it's a lot more fun and interesting when people make their opinions known regardless of being positive or negative. Constructive criticism is helpful to all of us.

As to your comments...

I enjoy creating scenes that gives us a glimpse into the real and fantasy worlds. If you look at some of our past work you'll see what I mean.

The Geocoins are "busy" by necessity. We are trying create a picture of a world in a very confined space (the Geocoin). I feel the detail is necessary to convey our intent. I would agree that you have to look at the Geocoin rather then glance at it to understand the picture. I'm willing to live with that criticism otherwise we could not create the scenes we want to depict.

I'm surprised about the confusion on the back of coin. Captain Nemo / diver fighting the giant squid jumps right off the Geocoin to me. I understand the comments about color, however I like colorful scenes and if the color was representing "real life" I personally think the Geocoin would be boring.

RSG, I appreciate your comments. We both have a different perspective on the aforementioned Geocoins, however that what makes this fun & interesting!

Have fun!

Cordially,

Jim

I really wish these were not soft enamel.

I'm a huge Jules Verne fan, and the coin are gorgeous, but I don't buy based on art. I rarely will buy a pre-sale.

Hi MustangJoni!

Thank you for your comments!

I understand your concern in regards to pre-sales. I always post the actual pictures of the Geocoins on the same thread that I introduce the design. I think we've done a great job of translating designs into Geocoins.

I'm glad your a fan of Jules Verne, I am too!!! Jules Verne was just plain genius!

BTW. the third coin in the Tribute to Jules Verne series will be Five Weeks in a Balloon (I think?).

Cordially,

Jim

The Geocoins are "busy" by necessity. We are trying create a picture of a world in a very confined space (the Geocoin). I feel the detail is necessary to convey our intent. ...

Jim

yes, it is a difference of opinion. because a geocoin is by definition small, too much detail obscures the design and the use of so much soft enamel in little bits and pieces keeps the elements separate instead of blending.

is the design based on an illustration because that would explain joni's comment.

rsg

The Geocoins are "busy" by necessity. We are trying create a picture of a world in a very confined space (the Geocoin). I feel the detail is necessary to convey our intent. ...

Jim

yes, it is a difference of opinion. because a geocoin is by definition small, too much detail obscures the design and the use of so much soft enamel in little bits and pieces keeps the elements separate instead of blending.

is the design based on an illustration because that would explain joni's comment.

rsg

The books I read as a child had very busy covers! lol

I do agree about the soft enamel. These would be a must have coin if the were IHE. Oh, and translucent where the water is, using half raised, or recessed metal to do the details underwater.

Jim

rsg

Jim

rsg

Hi RSG!

The front design is my idea that was translated by T. Steele Jones. The back design was conceived by T. Steele Jones. Both sides of the Geocoin are original (created by Tom & Me). The level of detail was the result of decisions we made.

I appreciate the feedback!

Cordially,

Jim

rsg

I misunderstood this statement earlier, and now I finally get it. :blink:

What I meant when I said that I didn't buy based on art, is that I don't buy a coin based on the mint art of the coin. I want to see a sample. There have been several coins that I committed to buy based on the art, then was disappointed when I got the actual coin.

I have to agree with the IHE comments, and on the previous coin I was sad to see there was no translucents used, given all the water.

It's a pretty coin, and I think the artwork is cool. I like seeing the finished product, it's just not a coin that's a "must have" for my collection. :blink: But since it's selling well, you have no need to worry about me. :mad:

I have to agree with the IHE comments, and on the previous coin I was sad to see there was no translucents used, given all the water.

It's a pretty coin, and I think the artwork is cool. I like seeing the finished product, it's just not a coin that's a "must have" for my collection. :laughing: But since it's selling well, you have no need to worry about me. :(

Hi Anne.and.Eli!

I appreciate your comments. BTW, what does IHE stand for? I'm not familiar with the abbreviation.

Thanks!

Cordially,

Jim

Jim I can't get excited by your new designs so I have said nothing about them. They remind me of book covers and for geocoins that doesn't appeal to me.... too busy, as RSG said. I also have a hard time justifying the $2 surcharge on coins that run about $3 more than most other vendours. Yes, it's only a per order surcharge but if I only want to buy 1 coin I feel I have to get fleeced. ;):blink::o

Jim I can't get excited by your new designs so I have said nothing about them. They remind me of book covers and for geocoins that doesn't appeal to me.... too busy, as RSG said. I also have a hard time justifying the $2 surcharge on coins that run about $3 more than most other vendours. Yes, it's only a per order surcharge but if I only want to buy 1 coin I feel I have to get fleeced. ;):blink::o

Hi Droo!

I genuinely appreciate your comments...

The Geocoinsl sell very well, but what's really important is the great comments I receive from customers around the world. It is my personal preference to design geocoins that are "busy" because they tell a story. I like our Geocoins to have Geocaching symbols and Geocaching themes woven into the design. It is my opinion

that there are far too few Geocaching themed Geocoins being designed. The Mysterious Island Geocoin has over 100 pre-sale orders already. We sold hundreds of the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Geocoins.

My original question has been answered, people who don't have favorable comments just don't want to comment. I understand this. I sell to 28 countiries internationally and I receive a full spectrum of comments.

I was just looking for some feedback and constructive criticism, I have strong opinions, however I do like to hear other opinions.

The coins we producing now are 2' diameter and the cost to produce the level of detail in our designs is much more costly then the average Geocoin. No one is being fleeced. In fact our Geocoins are great values!

Again, thank your for your feedback. It would be a dull world if we all agreed on everything!

Have fun!

Cordially,

Jim

Again, I appreciate your comments

My original question has been answered, people who don't have favorable comments just don't want to comment. I understand this. I sell to 28 countiries internationally and I receive a full spectrum of comments.

I was just looking for some feedback and constructive criticism, I have strong opinions, however I do like to hear other opinions.

The coins we producing now are 2' diameter and the cost to produce the level of detail in our designs is much more costly then the average Geocoin. No one is being fleeced. In fact our Geocoins are great values!

Hey Jim, I'n happy your pre-sales are strong and sales even stronger. Then it should not matter what the dissenting voices may have to say should they be enticed to say it. :blink:

The bottom line is your coins sell well so it hardly matters if your announcement falls on deaf ears or not. Your feedback is a healthy stream of compliments and orders to your website. ;)

Sorry I piped up and offered what seems to be contrarian and perhaps offensive dissent.

Edited by Droo

Hey Jim, I'n happy your pre-sales are strong and sales even stronger. Then it should not matter what the dissenting voices may have to say should they be enticed to say it. :blink:

The bottom line is your coins sell well so it hardly matters if your announcement falls on deaf ears or not. Your feedback is a healthy stream of compliments and orders to your website. ;)

Sorry I piped up and offered what seems to be contrarian and perhaps offensive dissent.

Hi Droo!

No offense taken....

I appreciate your comments!

Cordially,

Jim