PDA...Paperless Caching....What Software....

Hi, Guys...Got myself a Acer N30 PDA of e-bay the other week...Trying to sort out a way of paperless caching, so can any of you nice people help me out with what to do next ....I got Cachemate on there i think..lol not a great wiz on the old PC but learning all the time....So what else do i need to get me from printing like mad to have it all on the PDA...

Many thanks for any help ....MP

Hi, Guys...Got myself a Acer N30 PDA of e-bay the other week...Trying to sort out a way of paperless caching, so can any of you nice people help me out with what to do next ....I got Cachemate on there i think..lol not a great wiz on the old PC but learning all the time....So what else do i need to get me from printing like mad to have it all on the PDA...

Many thanks for any help ....MP

Unless you get a premium membership (your forum title suggests you're a regular member) you'll miss the key benefits of any software.

With a premium membership you can download pocket queries which give you up to 1000 caches in a single file. Then there are a few pieces of software out there that will process it.

hiya Guys...Right got Cachemate on the PDA and got GSAK but when i send the logs across to the PDA via GSAK I'm only getting limited info..ie cache title coordinates and that's about it ....Really looking to get hold of the hints description etc .... Now do i take it that if i become a premier member...Then the info i can send then would be as what i need ...Any help most appreciated....MP

hiya Guys...Right got Cachemate on the PDA and got GSAK but when i send the logs across to the PDA via GSAK I'm only getting limited info..ie cache title coordinates and that's about it ....Really looking to get hold of the hints description etc .... Now do i take it that if i become a premier member...Then the info i can send then would be as what i need ...Any help most appreciated....MP

export as a GPX/LOC file and onto PDA....then import into cachemate....think that is how I do it, but still learning so I am sure there is someone more clued up about it than me :blink:

Edited by The Slaughter Family

export as a GPX/LOC file and onto PDA....then import into cachemate....think that is how I do it, but still learning so I am sure there is someone more clued up about it than me :)

To get all the info into Cachemate/beeline/anything else you would need a GPX file ans as far as I know you can't get those as a basic member, not even one at atime from the cache page, you need to get your hand in your pocket and get a premium membership, well worth the money (and it's not much) offset that against the cost of paper and ink and you'll be showing a profit before too long :blink::mad::D

export as a GPX/LOC file and onto PDA....then import into cachemate....think that is how I do it, but still learning so I am sure there is someone more clued up about it than me :)

To get all the info into Cachemate/beeline/anything else you would need a GPX file ans as far as I know you can't get those as a basic member, not even one at atime from the cache page, you need to get your hand in your pocket and get a premium membership, well worth the money (and it's not much) offset that against the cost of paper and ink and you'll be showing a profit before too long :blink::mad::D

Yep thanks guys for the help...Think it's hand n pocket as ya say.....Thanks again for the info...MP

To get all the info into Cachemate/beeline/anything else you would need a GPX file ans as far as I know you can't get those as a basic member, not even one at atime from the cache page, you need to get your hand in your pocket and get a premium membership, well worth the money (and it's not much) offset that against the cost of paper and ink and you'll be showing a profit before too long :laughing::(:(

FWIW I'm a Geoscout user on my PDA. Stuart's website seems to have been down for a few days, which is why I haven't chimed in with the recommendation before.

There is a way to get the paperless info into Cachemate/Geoscout/etc. without stumping up for premium membership. This is by opening the LOC files in GSAK and editing the cache record by copying and pasting the required into. You then use GSAK to create GPX files, which you import into your PDA software. However, it's time-consuming and you're going to have to stump up some wonga to someone sooner or later either for premium membership or to register GSAK (or both!)

HTH,

Geoff

Edited by Pajaholic

Don't use the default GSAK export to cachemate, it takes ages! Install Big Wolf's macro for GSAK which creates a single file database for cachemate, you then just copy this file directly to your PDA (using Windows Explorer/sync) and when you open cachemate it reads the file directly. This link will take you to the doc I wrote on using GSAK/Memory Map/PDA etc. The bit you want is on page 5.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Don't use the default GSAK export to cachemate, it takes ages! Install Big Wolf's macro for GSAK which creates a single file database for cachemate, you then just copy this file directly to your PDA (using Windows Explorer/sync) and when you open cachemate it reads the file directly. This link will take you to the doc I wrote on using GSAK/Memory Map/PDA etc. The bit you want is on page 5.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

GSAK. Free to download. Free (and fully functional) for 21 days.

After 21 days it's still fully functional, but you keep getting a 'nag screen' -"Would you like to pay?"

BUT. It's still fully functional.

Is it worth the money? YES!

... However, the nag screen stays there for longer and longer. I hadn't decided to buy it after a couple of months and the nag screen was up sufficiently long for me to make a cup of coffee and drink some before it would let me into the application. Pragmatically, I suppose that if you have the time to manually copy the cache detail into GSAK then you may have enough time to wait for the nag screen to let you in. Although I suspect that sooner or later you'll either stump up the registration fee or cease using it.

Geoff

Hi, Guys again thanks for the help with this ....Just to confirm, when ya join up to premier membership then i will be able to get the cache description and hints etc via GSAK on to Cachemate on the PDA.... :laughing:

IE.......Will it give me the Size Difficulty Terrain etc....Description and Hints ...

I'm more than happy to join up.... :( Just wanted to clarify what help i would get on the PDA....

Many Thanks ....MP :(

Hi, Guys again thanks for the help with this ....Just to confirm, when ya join up to premier membership then i will be able to get the cache description and hints etc via GSAK on to Cachemate on the PDA.... :laughing:

IE.......Will it give me the Size Difficulty Terrain etc....Description and Hints ...

I'm more than happy to join up.... :( Just wanted to clarify what help i would get on the PDA....

Many Thanks ....MP :(

it has all the information contain in it with the exception of a map