Someone stole my published cache and put theirs in my place, how do I report them?

Someone stole my published cache and put theirs in my place, how do I report them/contact an administrator? Their name is on their cache.. Girl Scouts 4103. I don't think it is a coincidence that mine is gone and theirs is on my exact coordinates. Thanks in advance I appreciate the help!

Amoore84

is this the one

GC24K03?

Since it's not archived, then the reviewers wont accept their new listing, as obviously right on top is less than .10 mile

I would send the reviewer in your area and email, and replace your cache. If you don't replace your cache it might be archived and then they CAN place a cache there.

Someone stole my published cache and put theirs in my place, how do I report them/contact an administrator? Their name is on their cache.. Girl Scouts 4103. I don't think it is a coincidence that mine is gone and theirs is on my exact coordinates. Thanks in advance I appreciate the help!

Amoore84

The name of the reviewer that published your cache will be the first log on the cache page, you can send them an email and explain the situation. You may want to contact the cacher in question, they may have tried to find your cache and found it to be missing so they put one there. Don't jump to conclusions.

Let me get this straight....

Your published cache (what gc number?) had the physical cache stolen and now there is a new physical container at the same spot?? - if so - nobody to report anything too. Could be just a misunderstanding of how to handle a Geocache.

or...

Are you saying that a newly published cache is at a spot you thought was yours??

Amoore84

The name of the reviewer that published your cache will be the first log on the cache page, you can send them an email and explain the situation. You may want to contact the cacher in question, they may have tried to find your cache and found it to be missing so they put one there. Don't jump to conclusions.

this could be true too.

maybe they tought they were helping.

(my 2 cents is that you shouldn't replace an entire cache without contacting the owner first, but not everyone thinks this way)

Amoore84

this could be true too.

maybe they tought they were helping.

(my 2 cents is that you shouldn't replace an entire cache without contacting the owner first, but not everyone thinks this way)

Or they don't know any better. Did you go to see if your can is still there? You should go check your spot if you haven't yet. If all else fails, very kindly contact your local girl scouts and find out how to get ahold of said troop. Be diplomatic though, no need to piss off an entire nation of 5-17 year old girls. You may never get another cookie for your entire life. It pains me to think....

oh and out of being nosey and having too much time on my hands (clock watching before hubby gets home so I can go geocaching lol)

I couldn't find anyone with that username, looks like thats just a girl scout troop number, and they must be using a different name.

Someone stole my published cache and put theirs in my place

Sorry that your cache got stolen.

I wouldn't be too quick to throw such accusations around, though. For one thing, if someone is really out to steal your cache, would they be dumb enough to leave their name behind? Most likely scenario - someone found it missing and replaced it.

This is obviously a Girl Scout troop. Boy and Girl Scout troops are doing more Geocaching as familiarity with the game increases. This could be a simple case of them not understanding the details about how things are done. This is a great opportunity to send a polite message about the situation. Opening a dialogue can help everyone involved to understand what happened, why it happened and what can be done to prevent the confusion in the future.

Far too often I see too many people jumping to the defensive about things that happen in this game that they don't understand. While it can be alarming to have something like this happen, the involvement of a scouting troop can assuredly calm any upset and allow you to redirect your focus to making contact and getting the issue sorted out amiably. So, no, it shouldn't have happened, but the way it's happened is likely one of the most innocent and non-malicious ways that happens in this game.

....also - it would not be the first time that a newbie cacher totally misunderstood the game and treated your cache like a trackable item. They took it to plant somewhere else and left a container of thier own.

What an interesting idea...I've never heard of that...

....also - it would not be the first time that a newbie cacher totally misunderstood the game and treated your cache like a trackable item. They took it to plant somewhere else and left a container of thier own.

An interesting idea sure... But also a banned one.

ah but I see the makings of a whole new site...geomuggling.com... where we place caches and see what new and exciting ways people can find to mess them up

*note sarcasm*

You could always call the cops and have the whole troop hauled in. C'mon, they're Girl Scouts. They didn't STEAL your cache. Buy some cookies and all will be forgiven.

Seriously, you've already been given some good answers. Smile, be polite and friendly, and remember that this is just a game.

But be aware that these little girls are going to be running the country some day. Now is not the time to get on their bad side. A Brownie with a grudge is a fearsome sight to behold.

Buy some cookies and all will be forgiven.
They mess with a cache and the owner should buy cookies from them? I'd be asking for free cookies! :drama:
...be aware that these little girls are going to be running the country some day. Now is not the time to get on their bad side. A Brownie with a grudge is a fearsome sight to behold.
You've been watching too many movies.

Found a picture of Girl Scout Troop 4103 via Google. They look fearsome. ; ) Still, I think the advice you've received so far is good: just drop a line. Did they replace it because they couldn't find yours? Did they misunderstand the nature of the game? It's a good opportunity to educate.

Edited to add: did they replace it at all? 'Cause it could be that this wasn't the action of the entire group (or even of someone affiliated with the Troop).

BTW, if you're looking for a way to get in touch with them, try The Girl Scouts San Diego-Imperial Council. I'm sure that someone in the council can get you in touch with the troop leader (a Ms. En Lafreniere as of February of this year) in Bonsall/Fallbrook.

Edited by Jackalgirl

It's great that scouts are getting into geocaching - really great! But I don't know why this situation should be minimized just because it involves girl scouts. Scouts troops have adult leaders who have accepted the responsibility of mentoring and teaching a group of impressionable youngsters. I would think an an adult who is responsible for mentoring and teaching a group of impressionable young people should be expected to know what they're doing and teach their troop well - wouldn't it be best if the caching community associated Scout Troop 4103 with an awesome cache experience, great log entries, cool scout-made signature items, or something like that? Hopefully there is a good explanation in this particular case and hopefully the OP will follow the good advice to gently resolve it.

Found a picture of Girl Scout Troop 4103 via Google. They look fearsome. ; )

02-11-10-edu-Junior%20Girl%20Scouts%20celebrate-cp.jpg

They all look guilty.

I'm going to return the case of thin mints in my fridge unless this is resolved. :drama:

Ok, as a police officer I have done some investigating and I think I have a suspect. I have a feeling it is the girl in the back row on the left side.

1. Smirk on her face (like saying "Yeah I got your Cache, so what!")

2. She is wearing dark clothing(besides the shirt she HAD to wear for the picture)Perfect for Cache Stealing

3. No shoes for silent attacks

4. Her Rainbow is upside down (international symbol for Geocaching Anarchy)

Disclaimer * this was just a joke, no actual ill intent was actually suggested here.

Someone stole my published cache and put theirs in my place

Sorry that your cache got stolen.

I wouldn't be too quick to throw such accusations around, though. For one thing, if someone is really out to steal your cache, would they be dumb enough to leave their name behind? Most likely scenario - someone found it missing and replaced it.

It could have been the woman who was in the news last week who was arrested for robbing a convenience store. When police reviewed the security video it showed her coming into the store a few hours before robbing it... and filling out a raffle drawing entry ticket with her real name and address! :drama:

It could have been the woman who was in the news last week who was arrested for robbing a convenience store. When police reviewed the security video it showed her coming into the store a few hours before robbing it... and filling out a raffle drawing entry ticket with her real name and address! :drama:

A few years ago in this area, a guy robbed a bank in the usual way: He slipped a note demanding cash to one of the tellers. The twist was that he wrote the note on the back of one of his own personal checks.

A short but now-legendary career in crime. :laughing:

--Larry

They all look guilty.

I'm going to return the case of thin mints in my fridge unless this is resolved. :drama:

Ok, as a police officer I have done some investigating and I think I have a suspect. I have a feeling it is the girl in the back row on the left side.

1. Smirk on her face (like saying "Yeah I got your Cache, so what!")

2. She is wearing dark clothing(besides the shirt she HAD to wear for the picture)Perfect for Cache Stealing

3. No shoes for silent attacks

4. Her Rainbow is upside down (international symbol for Geocaching Anarchy)

Disclaimer * this was just a joke, no actual ill intent was actually suggested here.

Your suspect is the foil, her smirk is because she's covering for the real cache-swapper who is hiding the original cache behind her. The real cache-swapper has been busted before, notice that they reposessed her sash.

You guys have your suspects wrong!

It has to be one of 'em that have no rainbow yet. Just how do you think they earn the rainbow? By finding the treasure!

The one with the upsidedown rainbow (or smiley rainbow, if you prefer) is the ace of the crew.

My bet is front row, far right. That smile will hide a lot of mischief.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

They all look guilty.

I believe this organization and their male counterparts is part of an international conspiracy to infiltrate the fabric and moral fibre of respective nation states.

The smiles are obviously masking some hidden agenda.

Ooooooooops I have to run to meet one of them regarding a merit badge ... so they think ... I will continue to infiltrate both the female and male groups to expose them and their nefarious deeds

It's great that scouts are getting into geocaching - really great! But I don't know why this situation should be minimized just because it involves girl scouts. Scouts troops have adult leaders who have accepted the responsibility of mentoring and teaching a group of impressionable youngsters. I would think an an adult who is responsible for mentoring and teaching a group of impressionable young people should be expected to know what they're doing and teach their troop well - wouldn't it be best if the caching community associated Scout Troop 4103 with an awesome cache experience, great log entries, cool scout-made signature items, or something like that? Hopefully there is a good explanation in this particular case and hopefully the OP will follow the good advice to gently resolve it.
+1

You mean we aren't supposed to keep them? :laughing::lol:

Boy, that will free up a lot of garage space. :drama:

You mean we aren't supposed to keep them? :lol::D

Boy, that will free up a lot of garage space. :drama:

smack.gif

MrsB :laughing:

It's GC24K03 called Holy Jumpin Jeeps it was active until yesterday when I disabled it so people don't go looking for a cache that isn't there until I can replace it. How can I contact the Girl Scouts 4103? I am not sure that's their username and I can't figure out how to search for people on here.. if they were just replacing it, wouldn't they have let me know what they did or not put their name on the cache? Sorry I am still kind of new to all of this, I really appreciate all the guidance! Just trying to see what I should do, if anything.

You should contact Marko Ramius the volunteer who published your cache for you. When the Girl Scout cache shows up in the review queue, he will be able to address this issue with them at that time.

Probably with just one ping.

Or you can stake out the cache site with some money so you can buy more thin mints when the scouts come to check on their cache.

Edited by wimseyguy

Also I am not saying the Girl Scouts stole my cache. I looked for 45 minutes in a 50 foot radius and it's not there. I am only suspicious because their cache is on my exact coordinates and my cache GC24K03 has been active since February and I only disabled it yesterday.

There is a geocaching.com sticker on their box so clearly their cache is not legal.. people had been finding their cache and signing their log when they thought they were finding mine (see Holy Jumpin Jeeps logs).

i'd say it is very possible that in some attempt to fit in, they sought your cache... found it to be missing... decided that the community takes care of its own....and so they put a container in its place. maybe they are one of the loggers, i didn't see a definite break from when it went from being an Ammo can to their box.

i don't suggest that to be the right thing to do, without contacting you, and it certainly doesn't have to do with them being a grouping of minors.

shoot...i reported a cache as missing a few weeks back, a simple light post cache and last week someone with many more finds than me went, reported the same thing ("missing" cache) and then claimed a smiley as they'd been at the right spot so that's "good enough". so.... with those two scenarios, that makes 3 different routes.

of course.... they could have stolen it too. :drama:

Also I am not saying the Girl Scouts stole my cache. I looked for 45 minutes in a 50 foot radius and it's not there. I am only suspicious because their cache is on my exact coordinates and my cache GC24K03 has been active since February and I only disabled it yesterday.

There is a geocaching.com sticker on their box so clearly their cache is not legal.. people had been finding their cache and signing their log when they thought they were finding mine (see Holy Jumpin Jeeps logs).

Since you know who it is, perhaps you should contact them and ask the circumstances. They would know much more about it than a reviewer or anyone at Groundspeak. Since it has identification, it appears that they are not trying to hide anything.

They couldn't find it! So rather than dropping a baggie, they used an actual container. It's actually a step up from what usually occurs, don't you think?

More probably, I would bet that it is someone only associated with the troop, rather than the troop itself.

I think one of those pictured is part of a caching family who heard about geocaching through the scouts, but just simply don't know quite what to do. So... they just went caching with what they thought they knew.

Has anybody here never done anything like that?

We've all seen questions posed in the forums like "What do I do? Take the cache and replace it with another?"

It happens now and again. Not everyone finds the forums to ask a question, they usually wait until they have made an 'obvious' mistake or at a loss about what to do next. But, that is what the forums are for, right?

I'm gonna up and say that I think the whole thing is simply a mistake.

It's great that scouts are getting into geocaching - really great! But I don't know why this situation should be minimized just because it involves girl scouts.

It's not being minimalized because it involves girl scouts. It's not clear if the girl scout troop is involved at all, but their name is being splashed all over, accused of stealing the cache. It's on the log, and it's in the first post:

Someone stole my published cache and put theirs in my place, how do I report them/contact an administrator? Their name is on their cache.. Girl Scouts 4103.

Let's look at the possibilities:

1. Someone stole the cache and replaced it with another box. Question : why bother? and if you do, will you leave one with your name behind?

2. Someone tried to look for the cache, couldn't find it, and left behind a box they have with them. May or may not be the troop.

3. Someone playing a practical joke swapped two cache boxes.

All the OP knows is that a box with the girl scouts' troop number and a GC sticker on it was left at the cache location. He doesn't know who put it there unless there was a note in the box that he didn't mention.

March 14 someone logged a find stating they found the cache exposed. Anyone could have taken the cache.

Keep in mind that the OP is new to this.

My advice would be to just replace the container with a more appropriate one. I would also delete the disable log since it has a very accusatory nature to it.

Things happen. Caches go missing. Life goes on.

It's an easy cache.

It's found on 21 March.

It gets a DNF on 8 April

It's found 2 May -With the comment "nice box!"

Somewhere between being found on 21st March and found again on 2nd May your ammo can disappears, and the box appears...

It was probably missing by the 8th April as the cacher has nearly 200 finds, and should have found an easy cache likes yours.

All the OP knows is that a box with the girl scouts' troop number and a GC sticker on it was left at the cache location. He doesn't know who put it there unless there was a note in the box that he didn't mention.

OK... I missed the more recent post by the OP that mentioned the GC sticker. That does pretty much get rid of my letterbox theory, I guess.

As far as contacting the scout troop, try contacting the local girl scouts. If they are not the troop in question, at least they would know who to talk to. The article that the picture came from says the troop is from Bonsall, CA.

Edited by knowschad

Thats enough to get those meddling kids banned one year! Contact Groundspeak ASAP!

Still bitter about that CavScout? :drama:

Well, I always try to see the good in situations like this, so I doubt there's any mischief going on here. My guess is they tried to replace said container.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Amoore84

It's pretty obvious to me that the troop was trying to do a good deed by replacing your missing cache. While they were misguided in doing this, you are wrong to accuse them of stealing your cache with the little information that you have. Your response to the situation is far more misguided than their naive attempt to be helpful. I suggest that you rethink this and edit the log on your cache before you embarrass yourself further.

By the way, since the cache is only disabled, this is still your cache. It just has a different container now.