Bad words in a log of my cache...

What should I do? I don't want to delete the log but I dont want bad words in my cache web :rolleyes: I dont think the person who has written it is willing to edit it, doesn't seem too cooperative. What do you think I should do? Is there any rule regarding bad words in logs?

Thanks a lot! :ph34r:

What should I do? I don't want to delete the log but I dont want bad words in my cache web :rolleyes: I dont think the person who has written it is willing to edit it, doesn't seem too cooperative. What do you think I should do? Is there any rule regarding bad words in logs?

I think if you don't delete the log, Groundspeak personnel might.

I think if you don't delete the log, Groundspeak personnel might.

Thanks a lot for answering, I have sent the writer an e-mail politely asking to edit the log! :P I hope they will, if they don't I might just delete it.

I would say delete the log, and then email the person to tell them why, and give them the chance to relog it with the word omitted. Also, why does your profile not show any caches owned? Are you a sock puppet?

I dont know what a socket puppet is but I dont think I am :rolleyes: I do geocaching with another person and we have a team, which is not the same as my forum name, that's it! I registered this account on geocaching long ago, before the premium membership and all...

If the cacher isn't cooperative with the edit, you can edit their log to encode the naughty words. And, let's face it, when you're using profanity, any sequence of letters can be substituted to communicate the same sentiment. No need to delete.

Thanks a lot! :ph34r: I was a bit worried about it, the thing is that the cache is in a cemetery and he didn't like the place (even though in the cache description it is stated that it's in a cemetery). Finally he has deleted the bad word and has just written that he finds the place inappropiate, which is much much better in my opinion. Thanks again! :rolleyes:

If the cacher isn't cooperative with the edit, you can edit their log to encode the naughty words. And, let's face it, when you're using profanity, any sequence of letters can be substituted to communicate the same sentiment. No need to delete.

Thanks a lot! :ph34r: I was a bit worried about it, the thing is that the cache is in a cemetery and he didn't like the place (even though in the cache description it is stated that it's in a cemetery). Finally he has deleted the bad word and has just written that he finds the place inappropiate, which is much much better in my opinion. Thanks again! :rolleyes:

Good to see a amicable outcome. The problem with deleting logs is that it tends to make the perp angry. And sinse the perp knows where your cache is located, things can get ugly from there (speaking from experience).

I liked the encryption idea.

PS, that would be one old sock. usualy sock pupets are newish accounts.

Edited by Andronicus

Good to see a amicable outcome. The problem with deleting logs is that it tends to make the perp angry. And sinse the perp knows where your cache is located, things can get ugly from there (speaking from experience).

That was my thought as well. Glad things are resolved without additional unhappiness.

I dont know what a socket puppet is [snip]...

To answer your question, here is what Wikipedia says about a sock puppet:

A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception within an online community. In its earliest usage, a sockpuppet was a false identity through which a member of an Internet community speaks with or about himself or herself, pretending to be a different person,[1] like a ventriloquist manipulating a hand puppet.

Some folks really don't like the idea of geocaching on or near any cemetary.
I thought cemeteries were included on the list of no-no locations in the Guidelines.

not at all, otherwise i don't think the whole "Boneyard Series" would have been published in my area

Lots of cemetery caches in Ohio. I like 'em. I've seen many interesting things there. As to the potty mouth cacher above, I suppose if he dislikes cemetery caches he could avoid them and not visit or log them at all. That would take care of everyones problems. No bad language, no offended folks on any side of it. But gosh, what fun would that be?

Wondering what is being construed as bad words

Oh, you know, the usual... like [deleted], [deleted], [deleted] and [deleted]. Oh, of course, there's also [deleted]. And let's not forget [deleted].

That's only 6 of the 7 Dirty Words. :drama:

I believe the correct number is seven, the seven words you can't say on TV. They were enumerated by the late George Carlin. All the others are okay. [deleted] was left out.

Edited by jholly
Wondering what is being construed as bad words

Oh, you know, the usual... like [deleted], [deleted], [deleted] and [deleted]. Oh, of course, there's also [deleted]. And let's not forget [deleted].

That's only 6 of the 7 Dirty Words. :drama:

I believe the correct number is seven, the seven words you can't say on TV. They were enumerated by the late George Carlin. All the others are okay. [deleted] was left out.

While TV has its limitations, some of which exist to this day, Groundspeak (or their mods) appear ever more tetchy. I placed a mock-up of a T-Shirt the Democratic National Committee was selling on a website, regarding Joe Biden's gaffe after the signing of the Healthcare Reform Bill into law - which was in all the news media; print, television and radio. It was twice removed by mods here. So with this 'Family Values' stuff, you can assume they frown on naughty words, even to the point of implication.

I haven't tried to place a log with a naughty word in it. I'm curious if Geocaching.com filters any of them out.

Some folks really don't like the idea of geocaching on or near any cemetary.
I thought cemeteries were included on the list of no-no locations in the Guidelines.

Care to quote that part of the guidelines?

The only part that comes close is 'all local laws apply'.

I didn't think there was one too, but I searched for "cemeter" and found this:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#offlimit

Caches placed in areas which are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans (examples may include archaeological or historic sites or cemeteries).

It didn't say cemetery caches are prohibited, but it did single it out as an area of concern.

There is a large portion of the muggle population who don't enjoy the idea of strange people tromping around near the graves of their loved ones whilst playing a game - and such hides do nothing to endear us to the general public. As much as i enjoy them (i'm a genealogist) i think Groundspeak will eventually have to ban cemetery hides.

Most of us could make a trip into and out of a cemetery a solemn, quiet experience while unfortunately some are quite loud and obnoxious while searching in a cemetery. It's sad, but we will all eventually suffer for the knuckleheads.

What should I do? I don't want to delete the log but I dont want bad words in my cache web :drama: I dont think the person who has written it is willing to edit it, doesn't seem too cooperative. What do you think I should do? Is there any rule regarding bad words in logs?

Thanks a lot! :laughing:

We had a similar situation once - notified the offender and kindly asked them to re-word their cache as it was offensive (something to the effect of ''you kick me in the face then I pee on you"). They replied and realized that without a context (two dogs they had seen near the cache) the statement was rather offensive. They changed the log but continue bizarre posts on other logs....

Thanks a lot! :laughing: I was a bit worried about it, the thing is that the cache is in a cemetery and he didn't like the place (even though in the cache description it is stated that it's in a cemetery). Finally he has deleted the bad word and has just written that he finds the place inappropiate, which is much much better in my opinion. Thanks again! :drama:

Glad to see that you have reached a resolution!!

Caches placed in areas which are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans (examples may include archaeological or historic sites or cemeteries).

It didn't say cemetery caches are prohibited, but it did single it out as an area of concern.

Haha, a breakdown could have you reading it this way...

(examples may include archaeological sites, historic sites or historic cemeteries)

That's the way it reads to me. I guess that's why they are guidelines and not rules. Considering that they are talking about the impact of "Increased Traffic" I think a currently active cemetery would be OK, Geocaching will not have a signifigant impact on the traffic of an active cemetery, but might cause enough to damage an historic one.

Haha, a breakdown could have you reading it this way...

(examples may include archaeological sites, historic sites or historic cemeteries)

That's the way it reads to me. I guess that's why they are guidelines and not rules. Considering that they are talking about the impact of "Increased Traffic" I think a currently active cemetery would be OK, Geocaching will not have a signifigant impact on the traffic of an active cemetery, but might cause enough to damage an historic one.

Well, I wouldn't cache in a active cemetary, I think it is rather morbid. But I have and would again cache in a historic one.

(Assuming you love your mother)

Any log containing language you would not use when speaking to your mother should be deleted immediately without notice.

That should be the guideline... My mother can get very profane at times though...

I do believe in the spirit of the guideline though.

I recently did a cache in a cemetery, an old rural one, and found it very enjoyable. The cemetery was full of rich history and i could only imagine the real stories behind the depression era deaths...

Then again I like cemeteries for exactly that reason, they exist so that the dead can be remembered...

There is a large portion of the muggle population who don't enjoy the idea of strange people tromping around near the graves of their loved ones whilst playing a game - and such hides do nothing to endear us to the general public. As much as i enjoy them (i'm a genealogist) i think Groundspeak will eventually have to ban cemetery hides.

Most of us could make a trip into and out of a cemetery a solemn, quiet experience while unfortunately some are quite loud and obnoxious while searching in a cemetery. It's sad, but we will all eventually suffer for the knuckleheads.

So it's okay if genealogists do it, but not geocachers? :blink::mad:

Cemeteries are there as a last resting place and a memorial to the dead.

In Victorian times it was quite common to have picnics in Cemeteries.

My personal belief is that as long as you treat the place with respect then it shouldn't be an issue. Would people object if you went geocaching in a cemetery with a bunch of flowers and respectfully laid flowers on random graves?

Z.