Mega in Ireland

Has any committee set out to launch a Mega and not got the numbers? If so, what's the official line - does it turn into a mere event by default?

So far each UK Mega event has well exceeded the target of 500 attendees to ensure qualifying for the "Mega" status. Each one has had a very controlled 'signing in' process on the day so I think the numbers recorded have been pretty accurate. Now that the UK Megas have become established in the eyes of Groundspeak the event page has been automatically awarded the Mega icon as the Mega Committee account has transferred from one group to the next. However, I imagine that if some future Mega event failed to attract the magic 500 then it would be down-graded retrospectively to the regular event icon.

I can understand that some of the Irish geocachers on the GeocachingIreland forum (see Dino-irl's link) are hesitant about organising such a huge venture when geocachers are not so numerous over there. Getting another Mega icon is of little importance to us, personally (been there, done that!), but I would love to see a Large Geocaching Event proposed for Ireland for 2013 perhaps? I think that if it was well publicised in advance, especially to American geocachers, it would attract a lot of visitors. It may or may not get over 500 but it would be a lovely reason to plan a touring holiday in Ireland that year!

MrsB :unsure:

I have no doubt given the right timing and preparation a Mega event anywhere in the UK or Eire would succeed - however, I appreciate a tremendous amount of work and planning goes into these events to make them the success that they are.

That said, I would not wish to put pressure on anyone to do anything they were not confident with, but I am sure many would make the trek to Ireland and adjust their summer hols accordingly, just as many did with Scotland.

Just look at the attendances on some of the beer nights in Dublin, a Mega is only that times 10!

For us, as we use public transport, a flight to the NW / NE / Scotland / Ireland or a train to the SE all pretty much costs the same anyways. :unsure:

We followed Niall's link to the Irish forum and read it with interest, and some degree of sadness, as we really had hoped to come to Ireland for a Mega soon!

Equally, we understand the reluctance to invest the time and money on something that the people on the ground over feel may not be a success. But, I if I have the numbers correctly, should there only be half the attendance at an Irish Mega as there has been at the three so far there would still be over the magic 500 to count for the status. I bet it would still be a brilliant do. Thinks, all those counties, a different take on caching and another Ceilidh...... :unsure:

We think MrsB's suggestion of trying a pre-mega event in the next year or two has merit, especially as England, Scotland and, after next year, Wales will all have held a Mega. We would be very tempted to plan a trip around it. Definately promote it in the US and Europe - we met more non-GB cachers in Scotland than we have ever met at any previous Mega - don't underestimate the pull that an Irish Mega would provide.

We wil be watching the proverbial space.....

We followed Niall's link to the Irish forum and read it with interest, and some degree of sadness, as we really had hoped to come to Ireland for a Mega soon!

Equally, we understand the reluctance to invest the time and money on something that the people on the ground over feel may not be a success. But, I if I have the numbers correctly, should there only be half the attendance at an Irish Mega as there has been at the three so far there would still be over the magic 500 to count for the status. I bet it would still be a brilliant do. Thinks, all those counties, a different take on caching and another Ceilidh...... :P

We think MrsB's suggestion of trying a pre-mega event in the next year or two has merit, especially as England, Scotland and, after next year, Wales will all have held a Mega. We would be very tempted to plan a trip around it. Definately promote it in the US and Europe - we met more non-GB cachers in Scotland than we have ever met at any previous Mega - don't underestimate the pull that an Irish Mega would provide.

We wil be watching the proverbial space.....

Mega events have ceilidhs? :) I'm in!

I've wanted to visit Ireland for a long time but it's a case of getting the free time and the money to do it. 2013/14 is a long way off but if my circumstances allowed it I would very much like to come to Ireland for a mega event (or even just a "really big" event)

I think that if it is promoted right in Europe and across the pond an Irish mega event could see alot of cachers from other countries as Ireland has alot to offer visitors. A location which is easily accessible by both ferry and budget airline would also encourage people to come.

If this ever does go ahead then best of luck with it and hopefully I'd be able to make it.

Reading through the Irish forum the problem appears to be that Ireland itself doesn't have a very big community of cachers, and so they would be very reliant on cachers travelling from the UK and further abroad to make up the numbers.

I can understand those concerns - to go though all the preperation, fund raising and hard work involved in a mega event without knowing if people will travel is a very big gamble to take on.

Personally I would be more than happy to travel to Ireland - and have already done so for an event before. I flew out from Bristol to Dublin with Maple Leaf last year and the trip cost less than it would to visit places over here. But pursuading the UK caching community at large to do the same will mean hard work - there's no denying that one.

Maybe put it on the back burner for a year or two, but an Irish Mega would be great fun and I look forward to coming over when you do have one.

<Birdie Thinking out loud mode>

What if, there was a large scale event in England/Wales at some future unspecified date, if that event was near a large international airport - would it be feasible to "Charter" a plane to fly several hundred cachers to Dublin for the day - to an event there?

</Birdie Thinking out loud mode>

The way things are going at the moment we could probably pick up a second hand holiday company for less than the cost of a pint of Guinness®, and use it to charter the flights for us :D

Edited by keehotee

So long as it wasnt in school holidays and we had enough notice to plan our hols around it, we would definately be there.

Did I get that right? You mean you DON'T want it in the school holidays?

I think it would be difficult to persuade lots of people to go to Ireland if the kids are at school

Whilst I do appreciate that many people who cache are retired etc. , there are a large number of us who have kids. I'd say 50/50. 'Caching is certainly a family sport (as we find when we go to the many events that we do).

So long as it wasnt in school holidays and we had enough notice to plan our hols around it, we would definately be there.

I think it would be difficult to persuade lots of people to go to Ireland if the kids are at school

Whilst I do appreciate that many people who cache are retired etc. , there are a large number of us who have kids. I'd say 50/50. 'Caching is certainly a family sport (as we find when we go to the many events that we do).

I agree families also make the numbers up more than single cachers. One family username can have several people that all count towards the official number.

I agree families also make the numbers up more than single cachers. One family username can have several people that all count towards the official number.

Yes we have 4 to count with our username, and if an event with travel is outside of the hols, we would not be able to get there...sorry

Yes we have 4 to count with our username, and if an event with travel is outside of the hols, we would not be able to get there...sorry

Sorry everyone - I meant to say so long as it was IN school holidays and we had notice we would definately be there. It would be impossible for us to go outside of school holidays as our leave is tied in with the schools. Note to self - when the rum comes out, put the keyboard away :(

Sorry everyone - I meant to say so long as it was IN school holidays and we had notice we would definately be there. It would be impossible for us to go outside of school holidays as our leave is tied in with the schools. Note to self - when the rum comes out, put the keyboard away :(

That's that misunderstanding sorted then :):):P

So I am thinking that if one of the reasons that people are concerned there couldn't be a mega in Ireland is the lack of people prepared to travel to from the UK, then we need to find out if that is indeed the case.

So how about we all post here a tally of people prepared to travel? Bearing in mind that this forum is only a representative of part of the caching community and we're obviously not going to get 500 names here - but it should give an idea of what sort of response to expect....

I'll start......

*mouse* = 1

Cumulative total = 1

Being married to a Irish Lass, and having lived in Eire. Wild horses wouldn't keep us away

Deceangi, Nette, Space Wolf, Dolly Girl = 4

Cumulative total = 7

Deci

[each member of the family has a individual account]

4 here

Cumulative total = 11

My sister BIL and their 2 are also certs = 4

Cumulative total = 15

In answer to the passport question.

If you are coming across to the North of Ireland you don't need a passport as this is part of the UK photo ID is enough but some airline insist you have a passport.

If you are travelling in to the south (Ire) you do, as you need a passport to leave or enter the UK. The chance of this being checked is slim but there is still a chance.

If you are travelling between the north and the south there is no border control and its just like going from England to Scotland or Wales. I have done this journey 100's of times and never been stop or asked for a passport.

It is a shame they are stopping the ID cards as this would have been the cheap option.

Hang on though - that doesn't make sense. Ireland, as the UK, is all part of the EU. You shouldn't need a passport to enter any other EU state now IF you are from another EU member state! Perhaps they require the passport for ID as the Brits don't possess ID cards, but passports themselves shouldn't form an entry requirement.

OK, having typed that, I did a Google search and the cross-border agreement are outlined in the Schengen Rules. Having read further, the UK and Ireland did NOT sign this and some non-EU member states also signed. So that disproves part of the para above.

Further reading produced this:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_people_need_a...blic_of_Ireland

How much authority it carries is uncertain, given it's a wiki link, but hopefully clarifies matters...

I think I'll swim!

:anibad:

I'd be game: +1 = 46

It would be well worth making a song and dance of the event on the US forums too; lots would jump at the chance to visit The Old Country (any American who has a single great-grandparent who was from Cork is, of course, Irish through and through!)

Well Jeremy and his family can clearly count themselves in then!

:anibad:

stupid question but going to ask - do we need passports??? Would love to come if in the summer hols

If you get a ferry across into Northern Ireland you'll only need a driver's license as ID.

Then you can drive into the south of the country.

There are no border controls.

Frezeluberz (2) plus kids, CheekyCheetah & WeeBookWorm

48 + 4 = 52

Edited by Frezeluberz

I know we're already here but I suppose we'd be +4 = 58

Anyone collect Tesco Clubcard vouchers? They can be exchanged for Ferry vouchers at 4x face value - can definitely help cut the cost of a trip - we've been over twice this year and it hasn't cost us a penny! :unsure:

I also know from a few Mini car club events that Stenaline will sometimes negotiate discounts for big group bookings.

We were last in Ireland in summer 2007 when we were chasing the last of the UK counties. We keep looking for an excuse to go back, particularly to get to the Atlantic coast.

So... you can add 2 more :laughing:

Helen and Carolyn

PS We may have missed it in all the posts but when is it planned to be?

Edited by Dobunnis

It was initially just an idea - they don't have any firm plans for a mega yet.

One of the concerns is that there isn't a huge caching population in Ireland, so they would be very dependant on people travelling over to make up the required numbers.

The thread is an attempt to establish if there would be enough Brits willing to hop on a ferry/plane to go to a mega in Ireland.

Edited by *mouse*