Mega in Ireland

THERE ARE NO DATES SET .

WE ARE NOT TRYING TO STAND ON ANY ONES TOES HERE. :rolleyes:

THIS IS NOT AN ANOUNCEMENT JUST A FACT FINDING QUESTION.

Now that we have got that out of the way let me explain .

I notice a few references to wanting to attend a Mega event in Ireland.We would like to / are considering holding one at some stage in the future but the general consensus is that we don't have a big enough community to reach the 500 attended to make it a Mega .

What I'd like to ask is - IF Irish Cachers held a Mega what level of support could we expect from English , Scottish and Welsh cachers? How many would be prepared to make the trip? A yes or a no is all we need to guage the level of intrest.

If it was within easy reach of an airport and even better one that does budget flights ... I would come across for a day or two.

In fact *mouse* and I popped across to Dublin for the day to go to Dino-irl's evening event last year ... I think we left Bristol around 8am, went caching around Dublin for the day, then to the event and were back in Bristol for about 10pm.

I've only been to Dublin for a day before but would love to see a bit more of the Irish countryside, especially:

i) Anything Father Ted related - filming locations?

ii) The West Coast generally. It looks pretty special.

iii) I'd like the chance to climb RoI & NI's highest peaks as a part of a group, and get the caches on top, naturally :ph34r:

iv) Don't you have the world's oldest house?

A Mega to attend would only be a bonus - I don't drink guinness; the above & friendly folk is what I'd come to Ireland for. Maybe some Gaelic music..? Please avoid July 22nd 2012 :rolleyes::P

THERE ARE NO DATES SET .

WE ARE NOT TRYING TO STAND ON ANY ONES TOES HERE. :rolleyes:

I notice a few references to wanting to attend a Mega event in Ireland.We would like to / are considering holding one at some stage in the future but the general consensus is that we don't have a big enough community to reach the 500 attended to make it a Mega .

What I'd like to ask is - IF Irish Cachers held a Mega what level of support could we expect from English , Scottish and Welsh cachers? How many would be prepared to make the trip? A yes or a no is all we need to guage the level of intrest.

Never been to either N or S isle.. Whould be honoured to make it there..

stupid question but going to ask - do we need passports??? Would love to come if in the summer hols

When I flew to Dubin last year I needed mine. When I've crossed over on the Fishguard crossing I have always been told to bring it, but it's never been checked.

No idea if you'd need one to cross into Northern Ireland, but these days internal flights usually want a passport as ID so I'm guessing the answer would probably be yes.

stupid question but going to ask - do we need passports??? Would love to come if in the summer hols

When I flew to Dubin last year I needed mine. When I've crossed over on the Fishguard crossing I have always been told to bring it, but it's never been checked.

No idea if you'd need one to cross into Northern Ireland, but these days internal flights usually want a passport as ID so I'm guessing the answer would probably be yes.

thanks....that would count us out sadly.....don't have them and would be v.expensive to get for the whole family

thanks....that would count us out sadly.....don't have them and would be v.expensive to get for the whole family

not sure how valid this still is but if coming by ferry:

general clicky

Stenaline faq

Drivers license should do trick, for kids birth certificate. But worth ringing and finding out.

*edit - and for our answer : We as so many would look to make it a week/two week holiday

Edited by Ryuchan

not sure how valid this still is but if coming by ferry:

general clicky

Stenaline faq

Drivers license should do trick, for kids birth certificate. But worth ringing and finding out.

*edit - and for our answer : We as so many would look to make it a week/two week holiday

off to look...thanks. Hope they will take Mrs S's Birth Cert too

If you're flying to Northern Ireland, you don't need a passport. However, you do need picture identification (i.e. a driving licence) but this isn't the case with Ryanair who like to make you jump through hoops and produce a passport anyway (Easyjet don't have this rule when flying from Luton to Belfast).

If you're flying to Northern Ireland, you don't need a passport. However, you do need picture identification (i.e. a driving licence) but this isn't the case with Ryanair who like to make you jump through hoops and produce a passport anyway (Easyjet don't have this rule when flying from Luton to Belfast).

we would have to go by ferry as flying is out of budget (we are driving to scotland this year :drama:)

Might be worth looking at cheap flights - can get a bargain if booked well in advance, and might cover the cost of buying a passport - useful to have one anyway. New experience for the youngsters as well.

Last flight I had to Dublin cost £5 single including all taxes.

I must get a new piggy bank to start saving now!!

(are we talking 2014?)

Edited by perth pathfinders

THERE ARE NO DATES SET .

WE ARE NOT TRYING TO STAND ON ANY ONES TOES HERE. :laughing:

Nor does Scotland have a big enough community to reach the 500, didn't stop us!

Go for it, they will come! :drama:

Makes an excellent excuse for holiday planning around it!

Agree about the cheap flights - even with taxes it was less than £20 return to Dublin last year for me, and there are even better deals to be had if you shop around.

I saved even more money off the Ryanair flights after a very handy tip off from Stuey on this forum. Pay with a visa electron card and there's no admin fees either. Meant I had to open a new account, but it was worth it for the savings! It now means I have an account just for booking flights - funny really!

Agree about the cheap flights - even with taxes it was less than £20 return to Dublin last year for me, and there are even better deals to be had if you shop around.

I saved even more money off the Ryanair flights after a very handy tip off from Stuey on this forum. Pay with a visa electron card and there's no admin fees either. Meant I had to open a new account, but it was worth it for the savings! It now means I have an account just for booking flights - funny really!

Unfortunately they've killed that loophole.

You now have to have a Mastercard Prepaid Card. You can get them for only 1.5% transaction fee (See here )

UK to Northern Ireland by Ferry - No Passport required

UK to Northern Ireland by air - Honestly don't know

UK to Southern Ireland by Ferry - Drivers Licence should be adequate . Have travelled Holyhead to Dublin many times by Ferry and never even been asked for id.

UK to Southern Ireland by Air - not sure but you will need some form of photo id probably a passport.

Crossing the border from Northern Ireland to Southern Ireland by car /train/bus/bicycle/ donkey - nothing required - theres not even a checkpoint.

For those who would be bringing a car - you must have your drivers licence AND insurance documents with you when driving in Southern Ireland.

NO dates have been aranged or discussed .2014 has been sugested but thats as far as it goes and would be the very earliest date we would be thinking about.

Perth Pathfinders - thanks but at least those from South of the Border can drive to Perth . I hope to get there myself, but as you can see when a ferry crossing or a flight is involved it seems to put people off.

We would be depending on at least 250 or more to make the trip across the sea to make the numbers for a Mega.

UK to Southern Ireland by Ferry - Drivers Licence should be adequate . Have travelled Holyhead to Dublin many times by Ferry and never even been asked for id.

UK to Southern Ireland by Air - not sure but you will need some form of photo id probably a passport.

Crossing the border from Northern Ireland to Southern Ireland by car /train/bus/bicycle/ donkey - nothing required - theres not even a checkpoint.

For those who would be bringing a car - you must have your drivers licence AND insurance documents with you when driving in Southern Ireland.

NO dates have been aranged or discussed .2014 has been sugested but thats as far as it goes and would be the very earliest date we would be thinking about.

Perth Pathfinders - thanks but at least those from South of the Border can drive to Perth . I hope to get there myself, but as you can see when a ferry crossing or a flight is involved it seems to put people off.

We would be depending on at least 250 or more to make the trip across the sea to make the numbers for a Mega.

Sounds promising Beefy thanks. I always have problems with ID as I have no "acceptable" photo ID

IME it's always been us lot that are sticky about passports (or discharge books :mad: )

So, you might not need a passport to get into the RoI - but I wouldn't bank on not needing one to get back into the UK :D:blink:

Arriving in RoI by air requires a passport. I once flew from NI to Birmingham and back to Dublin and had to negotiate with the Gardai on the immigration desk to allow me back into the country having flown out with my driving license from Derry. Now that Ryan Air will only allow you to fly on a passport it's not as likely to happen but it wasn't a very pleasant experience.

Depending on when it would be held, I'd definitely be interested in coming and if so, would probably go over by ferry (after all, won't we be needing cachemobiles?).

Has any committee set out to launch a Mega and not got the numbers? If so, what's the official line - does it turn into a mere event by default?

Anyhow, it looks like it would be a popular event, so look forward to hearing it's on... sometime!

:unsure: