Goodbye from D.I.D

as some of you may be aware that when i was creating my personal coin i ran into a problem

my avatar was the same as AntiMonkeyButt.com

i was told that i could continue to use it as long as i made no profits from the image useage................

Today i receven an email informing me that i am no lopnger allowed to use the image, and that thwy will check my profile regualy to see if i have fraudulently used the image and they will press charges against me.

i have therfor change the image to that which you now see,

as they have stated they will check my profile................. i have requested fro the account to be deleted and a new one created under a new name and transfer of my stats......

therfore goodbuy from D.I.D

the monkey has had fun while he has been around, keep smiling and find thoes caches

204bf336-4c11-47df-bb0b-7e0dcf2fae03.jpg

as some of you may be aware that when i was creating my personal coin i ran into a problem

i was told that i could continue to use it as long as i made no profits from the image useage................

Today i receven an email informing me that i am no lopnger allowed to use the image, and that thwy will check my profile regualy to see if i have fraudulently used the image and they will press charges against me.

as they have stated they will check my profile................. i have requested fro the account to be deleted and a new one created under a new name and transfer of my stats......

the monkey has had fun while he has been around, keep smiling and find thoes caches

Why didn't you simply change the avatar? Why a whole new account? :rolleyes: I'm sure you had a good reason... I must be missing something here.

Also, how did AntiMonkeyButt.com learn that you were using their graphic for your avatar? That in itself seems pretty darned odd!

Also, renaming an account still preserves your user ID, so if they had it bookmarked, they still know who you are. Even if you create a new account and re-log, f I really want to know your new user ID, I'd download about 20 or so of your found caches and look for changes.

If you're serious about hiding, you wouldn't advertise here :rolleyes:

On the Internet, you can run, but you can't hide.

(play creepy laughter here)

I'd like to know what knowschad asked as well, just out of curiosity.

Why didn't you simply change the avatar? Why a whole new account? :rolleyes: I'm sure you had a good reason... I must be missing something here.

Also, how did AntiMonkeyButt.com learn that you were using their graphic for your avatar? That in itself seems pretty darned odd!

Presumably in the past either they'd noticed it, or he'd asked for permission - so they'd just check their email history or records of who they gave permission to, and contact him again.

Presumably in the past either they'd noticed it, or he'd asked for permission - so they'd just check their email history or records of who they gave permission to, and contact him again.

Certainly possible, but highly unlikely. Your 2nd assumption is probably the most likely, but doubtful they'd give permission, then refute it with such strength as to threaten with pressing charges. Edited by knowschad

DANG!

I was hoping for some overly dramatic geo-suicide due to your latest cache not being published.

What if your monkey had a BLUE butt?

I don't think I've ever had monkey-butt.

What's it like?

Agreed. Just change it to a blue butt and make him face the other way.

Monkey-butt is that sore, burning, itching sensation you get if you have spent too many hours on a motorcycle seat.

Hello from your usually friendly forum moderator.

What is the website feature, function or bug that is at issue here? The ability to change one's avatar?

If I cannot understand why this thread is posted in the Web Site development forum, I'll be moving it to a more appropriate home.

Certainly possible, but highly unlikely. Your 2nd assumption is probably the most likely, but doubtful they'd give permission, then refute it with such strength as to threaten with pressing charges.

At one time there was supposedly permission to use the image on a geocoin, but the plans fell through at some poins.

DANG!

I was hoping for some overly dramatic geo-suicide due to your latest cache not being published.

What's it like?

Monkey-butt is that sore, burning, itching sensation you get if you have spent too many hours on a motorcycle seat.

Or driving a Big Truck...they sell the powder at truckstops.

DANG!

What's it like?

My first encounter with Anti-Monkey Butt powder was about 3 years ago because they sponsor this race car. I actually saw the car close up at a pre-race autograph session. The logo and product name was so cool that I bought some of the stuff at Walgreens. (Advertising works, eh?). I actually follow Anti-monkey butt on twitter!!

Dave was absolutely using the copyrighted logo of an American Corporation. This is no different than if he was using the McDonalds logo, or Chester the Cheeta from Frito Lay Cheese puffs. I don't see a problem on the company's end here.

I do believe a small company is going to be much more likely to notice their logo being used on the internet. I'm also guessing none of this would have happened without the Geocoin controversy. We definitely do not have all of the story here.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

DANG!

What's it like?

Check with any competent copyright lawyer and they will tell you that downloading and then altering someone's logo as such isn't going to protect you, it's their property. I would suggest posting here and move on. Edited by coggins

Yes, I'm confused as well. Dave, you know you can just upload a new avatar, right? You don't have to create a new account to have a new avatar.

Sure hope that you've got the rights to the skeleton image you want to use with your Broken Bones geocoin (or that you have permission). But if you don't, you don't have to create a whole new account there, either.

Yes, I'm confused as well. Dave, you know you can just upload a new avatar, right? You don't have to create a new account to have a new avatar.

Sure hope that you've got the rights to the skeleton image you want to use with your Broken Bones geocoin (or that you have permission). But if you don't, you don't have to create a whole new account there, either.

What is to be confused?

He was told someone (company) who was angry with him would be "watching" (stalking) his account. I'm sure he just didn't want to be watched like that.

you really need to read and perhaps weigh in the intellectual property thread, so as not to hijack this thread.

even though it is mostly about copyright and licensing law regarding geocoins, you might find it very interesting and elucidating.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...250537&st=0

rsg

What is to be confused?

He was told someone (company) who was angry with him would be "watching" (stalking) his account. I'm sure he just didn't want to be watched like that.

i don't see the word "angry" used anywhere in the original post and when did "watching" for infringement become stalking? the company in question has a legal right to protect their image, whether in an avatar or on a geocoin.

back to that pesky intellectual rights thread again.

rsg

I'm not really sure what we're discussing here. Is the company upset you're using their image on your geocoins or is it because you're using it as your avatar?

If it's the latter then I think it's just someone who got bored. Who's going to go around suing someone for using their image as a forum avatar?

204bf336-4c11-47df-bb0b-7e0dcf2fae03.jpg

I think that it is telling that they say that they will press charges against you. I'm pretty sure that in a case like this that copyright infringement is a civil matter. So they can sue you, but don't think that they can "press charges" against you. Regardless why go through the hassle...just come up with something else.

Edited by drdan01

DANG!

What's it like?

My first encounter with Anti-Monkey Butt powder was about 3 years ago because they sponsor this race car. I actually saw the car close up at a pre-race autograph session. The logo and product name was so cool that I bought some of the stuff at Walgreens. (Advertising works, eh?). I actually follow Anti-monkey butt on twitter!!

Dave was absolutely using the copyrighted logo of an American Corporation. This is no different than if he was using the McDonalds logo, or Chester the Cheeta from Frito Lay Cheese puffs. I don't see a problem on the company's end here.

I do believe a small company is going to be much more likely to notice their logo being used on the internet. I'm also guessing none of this would have happened without the Geocoin controversy. We definitely do not have all of the story here.

I'm guessing that if he had actually followed through with the coin(that he had permission for) then they would not have a problem. Perhaps string them along has made them rethink the permission. They were probably waiting by the mailbox for their coin, and revoked permission when it was never produced. I can totally see that happening.