Lowrance Endura 1.4 Software Update

Lowrance Endura 1.4 Software Update – Americas

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Outdoors/...pdate-Americas/

Key 1.4 Update Enhancements

Add compatibility for Endura to plug-and-play marine fishing/mapping content i.e. Fishing Hot Spots Pro and LakeMaster available on microSD

Improved hydrography – display of intermittent streams and lesser waterways has been deemphasized to improve readability of other features

Improved land use data – symbology and colors for public lands have been improved for better readability

Various other minor enhancements or bug fixes

Please let us know if 1.4 makes this a full fledged GPSr! :rolleyes: I'm close to buying one and Amazon has sweet deal on right now.

I was hoping they'd address the issue with navigation ending when you get near waypoints. That's a major issue in my mind. Maybe that is under minor enhancements or bug fixes.

Please let us know if 1.4 makes this a full fledged GPSr! :rolleyes: I'm close to buying one and Amazon has sweet deal on right now.

Me too!!! I really want to re-buy this gps again. :ph34r:

This is a terrific GPS and these enhancements only improve an already phenomenol unit. I have a variety of "the other" mfg's units and continue to keep going back to my Endura Sierra. Not many units combine the best of the Delormes (mapping, access to USGS 1:24k topo's, BLM, and Aerial quads for a $1 ea.), Garmins (geocaching, paerless capabilities) and the older Lowrance GPSr's (simplicity and accuracy) into a new vastly improved unit with the best over-the-counter maps in the industry.

I can't believe you've waited so long to get one, especially with the considerably lower prices of the Endura's now.

Feature enhancements (observed actuals that I have noticed thus far on my Sierra). An elaboration on the "Improved land use data – symbology and colors for public lands have been improved for better readability and Various other minor enhancements or bug fixes." posted in Lowrances description of updates modifications.

Much greater land boundary detail!!!! BLM (tan), State Forest (dark green) vs National Forest (light green), public vs. private (beige), State Trust (orange), Wilderness Areas (purple), Indian Reservations (dark brown), Federal Reserves (red brown).

Expanded mapping detail at "base map" setting with significantly improved contours at .9 mi and below (may be different based on Endura model you own)! A usable base map YEEEHAAA!!!!

Boot time to main menu approx. 1 min., including GPX processing (indexing based on my 500 caches) 2 min. Come on Lowrance we can do better than that!

Tab detail seem to have a more refined font in the Yellow tabs, but the Page detail are STILL outlined with white inset and difficult to read, this should be a selectable feature by color, size, perhaps even font to make them more legible and easier to read from a typical user distance.

Find Menu improvements:

Vastly improved number and types of Waypoints, gotta check'em out, especially the geocaching category!

Geocaching category no longer (apparently) duplicates caches. Search and filter functions are quite a bit faster!!!

Accuterra mapping improvements are extrordinary, with vastly improved shading geographic feature detail, WOW!!!

Trails and Routes:

They work!!! Racing style finish line flag at end of route, very nice improvement!

Icons selected for waypoints now stay put and don't revert back to those blasted "X's" like before.

Still no color selection capabilites of displayed routes and trails.

Trails have new "backtrack" feature, sweeet!!!

Points of interest are improved by category and feature faster search execution.

On-Board Navigation feature still requires the TBT card. (booo, hisss!)

More to come as I play with it a bit more but guaranteed to please, baby!!

Be safe.

N

Edited by Native20559

Gosh if I could only get this thing to install. It freezes Firefox. Chrome says it's missing a plug in but doesn't tell which one or how to get it and if I try to do the direct install the program fails and tells me Validation Error GLE183. The installer exec doesn't pass the file verification. Update file may be corrupt. Please obtain a new copy of the file.

I'm on about my 9th copy of the file

Edited by briansnat

Can Endura project a waypoint though? I can't find evidence of this in the manual. I'm glad to hear that the 1.4 update is awesome. Of all the GPS units I have been researching, this one has *nearly* everything I'm looking for (mainly Mac friendliness and paperless caching). It's really an exciting time for us as so many manufacturers are making new and exciting units available!

Can Endura project a waypoint though? I can't find evidence of this in the manual. I'm glad to hear that the 1.4 update is awesome. Of all the GPS units I have been researching, this one has *nearly* everything I'm looking for (mainly Mac friendliness and paperless caching). It's really an exciting time for us as so many manufacturers are making new and exciting units available!

Unless it's been addressed in 1.4, Enduras will not do projections.

I have used projections on a few caches. It would be a nice feature to have, but for me it isn't a complete deal breaker. I still have my trusty 60Cx that does all of the advanced features that aren't showing up in many current units. -- That said, it would be nice to have one do-it-all unit.

Finally got it installed by using another computer. Not sure why it wouldn't work on this one. Anyway the touch screen seems to be more responsive. That was a big negative that appears to have been corrected.

The waypoint navigation issue was not addressed and I am very disappointed by that. It is a key problem that makes the unit nearly useless for geocaching if you are using manually entered coordinates. When you get within 30 feet or so the unit says "destination reached" and stops navigating. Makes hunting for multis difficult and checking your own cache coordinates near impossible.

Finally got it installed by using another computer. Not sure why it wouldn't work on this one. Anyway the touch screen seems to be more responsive. That was a big negative that appears to have been corrected.

The waypoint navigation issue was not addressed and I am very disappointed by that. It is a key problem that makes the unit nearly useless for geocaching if you are using manually entered coordinates. When you get within 30 feet or so the unit says "destination reached" and stops navigating. Makes hunting for multis difficult and checking your own cache coordinates near impossible.

I find it hard to believe that is still a problem. I was looking forward to tackling a multi in the next day or two. I did the upgrade as well and am glad the duplicate cache issue is fixed. I find the 'destination reached' issue to be significant and wonder why this can't be fixed. Would hope the expert can help on this. Will this be another 4 months to fix in an upgrade? almost have to buy another unit to do a multi.

Edited by lanko21

For as much as I like the pros of the Endura line up, the cons are really stupid! Something as key as navigating to a waypoint should come out of the box, not still waiting for an upgrade 4 FW updates later. It's almost like these things were cranked out WAY too soon! You read stuff like this and the reviews on Amazon and it's hard to get a good impression – yet I am sure these units are fantastic in many ways. These problems just seem silly to me.

For as much as I like the pros of the Endura line up, the cons are really stupid! Something as key as navigating to a waypoint should come out of the box, not still waiting for an upgrade 4 FW updates later. It's almost like these things were cranked out WAY too soon! You read stuff like this and the reviews on Amazon and it's hard to get a good impression – yet I am sure these units are fantastic in many ways. These problems just seem silly to me.

In general the Endura's are pretty stable units. You have to take those comments on Amazon with a grain of salt because a lot of the people who wrote them probably don't know how to use their GPSrs to their full capability. I can just see people turning it on, not knowing exactly how to do something because they didn't bother trying to find out, then just giving up and saying they got a lemon! A lot of people are just impatient (and ignorant) with electronics.

I got to play with the Endura several times at Best Buy and they are pretty sweet. No crashes, weird issues or concerns that I noticed and I played with everything. I LOVE the map panning and rotation the best. It is more fluid rather than the choppy motion you on other brands. I guess the bottom line is, don't judge the Endura too harshly based on some mainstream reviews. There are definitely some quirks like the one Briansnat brought up, but in terms of stability and functionality I would say they are 95% there.

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000
I LOVE the map panning and rotation the best. It is more fluid rather than the choppy motion you on other brands.

I've found the map panning to be slow and jerky. 1.4 doesn't seem to have fixed that. It would also be nice if moving the map pointer gave you the distance from your location the way Garmin and DeLorme do.

On the Geocaching front - I must say I am a bit disappointed with this release. Two of the 3 big issues for me are still present (arriving issue and projections).

The map rotation and panning are very smooth on my O&B with the area mapping card.

Sorry Lowrance but you just lost my business.....again. These seem like easy fixes, or maybe a lazy programmer. :blink:

Today I generated 5 pq's to use around the metro area I live. I went and deleted the 4 other pq's that were on my out n back. I had downloaded the 1.4 update last week and it seemed to cure the multiple cache issue. When I added the 5 new queries, what do I find in the overlapping areas? Multiple copies of the caches displayed!! Do you suppose I have to download the update everytime I load new PQ's into my machine?

Any thoughts?

I just bought the Out&Back, and I was really enjoying it! Until the stupid thing stopped navigating at Waypoints. I found this out the hard way, and now I'm very annoyed. This is a fundamental feature of geocaching, and they still haven't corrected it? They've got to be insane. Now I'm seriously thinking about returning it.

I just bought the Out&Back, and I was really enjoying it! Until the stupid thing stopped navigating at Waypoints. I found this out the hard way, and now I'm very annoyed. This is a fundamental feature of geocaching, and they still haven't corrected it? They've got to be insane. Now I'm seriously thinking about returning it.

I have a few issues with my Out & Back but this is not one of them. I have yet to fail to find a cache because my O & B stopped navigating when it reached ground zero. Once I reach that point a GPS becomes of little use and I began using geo-intuition to locate the hiding place. If I go too far from GZ the unit will start to navigate again and guide me back. I'm reminded of a saying about poor carpenters and their tools but I digress... :(

I have a few issues with my Out & Back but this is not one of them. I have yet to fail to find a cache because my O & B stopped navigating when it reached ground zero. Once I reach that point a GPS becomes of little use and I began using geo-intuition to locate the hiding place. If I go too far from GZ the unit will start to navigate again and guide me back. I'm reminded of a saying about poor carpenters and their tools but I digress... :laughing:

MastahMatt I echo your thoughts on this being fundamental. As evidenced by the customer service actions of "EnduraExpert" Lowrance appears to be the kind of company that wants their products to be great rather than good. Certainly this board gives them an inexpensive way to get feedback they need if they want to be successful long term in the GC market. While I do not consider myself a master at the trade I am sure you are a fine carpenter. :)

GPS receivers should, out of the box, from day one, the time or release, navigate to waypoints. Period!!! That's one of their main functions. IF they can't do that, what good are they? I also believe that Lowrance is an honorable company, seeking to make fantastic products. That said, if the Endura lineup still can't navigate to a waypoint (after 4 FW revisions!) unhindered by error and "oops! we're there now but not really" then something is seriously wrong. If I was an Endura user, I would be supremely chapped. As a would be convert to Lowrance, I was pretty much set to order an Out & Back. But I find these kinds of problems far too fundamentally silly to get stressed/disappointed over (*currently*). :laughing:

GPS receivers should, out of the box, from day one, the time or release, navigate to waypoints. Period!!! That's one of their main functions. IF they can't do that, what good are they? I also believe that Lowrance is an honorable company, seeking to make fantastic products. That said, if the Endura lineup still can't navigate to a waypoint (after 4 FW revisions!) unhindered by error and "oops! we're there now but not really" then something is seriously wrong. If I was an Endura user, I would be supremely chapped. As a would be convert to Lowrance, I was pretty much set to order an Out & Back. But I find these kinds of problems far too fundamentally silly to get stressed/disappointed over (*currently*). :laughing:

^^ this is good. let them know, email them. Don't just complain about it on here, otherwise they may never realize how much it annoys the geocaching community.

I have a few issues with my Out & Back but this is not one of them. I have yet to fail to find a cache because my O & B stopped navigating when it reached ground zero. Once I reach that point a GPS becomes of little use and I began using geo-intuition to locate the hiding place. If I go too far from GZ the unit will start to navigate again and guide me back. I'm reminded of a saying about poor carpenters and their tools but I digress... :laughing:

The man bought a gps that doesn't do what the seller promised, so we mock HIM?

I returned my Endura for issues unrelated to this but I can see the OP's point. Occasionally if I'm having trouble at GZ I'll set the unit down while I hunt and after a few minutes very often the compass has pointed me in a different direction...the correct one.

EnduraExpert patrols this forum, that will suffice for me. If I was a Lowrance Endura owner, I would email the company over the aforementioned issues.

^^ this is good. let them know, email them. Don't just complain about it on here, otherwise they may never realize how much it annoys the geocaching community.

Gosh if I could only get this thing to install. It freezes Firefox. Chrome says it's missing a plug in but doesn't tell which one or how to get it and if I try to do the direct install the program fails and tells me Validation Error GLE183. The installer exec doesn't pass the file verification. Update file may be corrupt. Please obtain a new copy of the file.

I'm on about my 9th copy of the file

issues with the download freezing seem to be caused by a need for a JAVA update, since we are running a JAVA applet.

Sorry for your frustration.

Edited by EnduraExpert

Unless it's been addressed in 1.4, Enduras will not do projections.

Waypoint projection is a feature that we are working on and did not make it in to the 1.4 update

The upgrade install was uneventful. I am pleased with the improvements to the map, in particular the display of State Forest Boundaries. I am disappointed there is still no date display as well as the items previously mentioned.

Both the date display and the waypoint navigation are features that are being worked on and will be in a future update. We really wanted to get 1.4 released since it was taking much longer that we had wanted.

We are working on adding Waypoint Projection, the ability to turn off the waypoint arrival alarm, add geocaches directly to the unit as well as working on removing the 3MB limit on GPX file size.

Just to be clear the navigation error only affect ordinary waypoints that are manually entered (such as stages of a multi).

Geocaches loaded via GPX files do not invoke this behavior.

When coordinates are enter as a geocache we currently allow the Endura to continue to navigate until you tell it to "Stop Navigating". With a waypoint the unit will stop navigating when it gets close to the destination.

We are working on changin this behavior so that you can continue to navigate to either a waypoint or geocache until you manually stop navigation.

My points of interest seem to be very scarce. I have tried to find Bass Pro Shop and it wasn't under Fishing supplies?? I have found similar problems with other major stores/POI. Am I doing something wrong that isnt bringing up these major shopping locations? Any advice appreciated.

My other question seems like an obvious feature, so I am thinking that I am just missing it somewhere. If you are playing music through your MP3 player and then navigate back to the map while driving, can you not stop/skip/pause the music without going back through menu-tools-mp3player?

I finally got a chance to check out the Out and Back at a Bass Pro Shops in Alberta this week. I really liked the unit! Both dudes managing the GPS section of the store told me not to get it because there was no Canadian mapping. But I played with the menus anyways. Seemed very cool and quick to switch and redraw screens!

My points of interest seem to be very scarce. I have tried to find Bass Pro Shop and it wasn't under Fishing supplies?? I have found similar problems with other major stores/POI. Am I doing something wrong that isnt bringing up these major shopping locations? Any advice appreciated.

My other question seems like an obvious feature, so I am thinking that I am just missing it somewhere. If you are playing music through your MP3 player and then navigate back to the map while driving, can you not stop/skip/pause the music without going back through menu-tools-mp3player?

TexasRepublic - please remind me which unit you have. If it is the Safari the preloaded POI's will be geographic/topographic in nature rather than commercial POI's. The Sierra POI's and the POI's that are loaded on the Advance detailed mapping cards will have more of the commercial POI's, like the Bass Pro you are looking for.

Let me know if this does not answer your questions.

TexasRepublic - please remind me which unit you have. If it is the Safari the preloaded POI's will be geographic/topographic in nature rather than commercial POI's. The Sierra POI's and the POI's that are loaded on the Advance detailed mapping cards will have more of the commercial POI's, like the Bass Pro you are looking for.

Sorry Endura Expert, its been a while since I have had time to get on here. Yes. I have the safari. I believe I purchased the upgraded mapping card. The card that allows you to do turn by turn? Have that one. I tried searching for Bass pro using keyword and category (fishing supplies). Never came up. Is there another card? Would it matter if I had my map detail settings to not display POIs on the screen? I would assume you could still search for them even if they arent displayed on the screen.

Another question. It may just be a website mistake, but the gpscity link below lists my Endura Safari as "discontinued by the manufacturer". Say this isnt so.. :anibad:

http://www.gpscity.com/lowrance-endura-safari.html

Sorry Endura Expert, its been a while since I have had time to get on here. Yes. I have the safari. I believe I purchased the upgraded mapping card. The card that allows you to do turn by turn? Have that one. I tried searching for Bass pro using keyword and category (fishing supplies). Never came up. Is there another card? Would it matter if I had my map detail settings to not display POIs on the screen? I would assume you could still search for them even if they arent displayed on the screen.

Another question. It may just be a website mistake, but the gpscity link below lists my Endura Safari as "discontinued by the manufacturer". Say this isnt so.. :)

http://www.gpscity.com/lowrance-endura-safari.html

Hey Texas Republic, sorry for the delay in getting back to you they have been keeping me very busy and I did take some time off for a vacation.

If you are using the detailed map card and still not finding the BassPro location it may be that that location was not included in the POI database. We are using the POI commercial database from Navteq and there will always be some location that do not get included for some reason, know only to Navteg.

Regarding your other question - it is a mis-statement by that website we have not discontinued any of the Endura units. They are selling very well.

Hi EnduraExpert;

Just finished playing with an Out & Back - I hope the iFinder series doesn't become a discontinued product.

Thanks

Lin

I purchased an Out & Back and loaded it with USGS topo maps but my old iFinder H20C remains my primary caching unit. I too hope the iFinders remain available but I am not so confident they will.