Military surplus sleeping bags?

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking at getting a sleeping bag that will last me a long time.

I have been looking at these US surplus sleeping bags:

http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/13218.html

It has two sleeping bags, a Goretex cover, and a stuff sack. By using different combinations of sleeping bags, it looks like I could use it in the early spring, summer, and well into late fall.

Do any of you have any experience with these particular surplus sleeping bags.

I'm a huge fan of surplus stuff, backpacks, clothes, etc. Everything I have bought so far has lasted many years for me and I'm certain they will last me many, many more years!

I thank you for your thoughts and comments!

Made for the military, should last you forever.

Usually find these "slightly used/good" at this price. Slightly-used will sometimes have some stitches sewn somewhere on it. If there's stiching on the Gore-Tex bivy shell though, you'll need to seam seal it and/or find a Gore patch (online) to retain it's water repellancy.

Everything else (appearance-wise) just looks like you use it a lot. :rolleyes:

I've used this system in the Winter at Hardheim, Germany and stayed comfy at ten degrees (wearing the heavier ecw long johns andregular long johns under them.)

But, the weight is something to consider if you're more than an occassional hiker.

Their weight of this package seems a little short. I thought I remembered the bivy alone weighing in at around two pounds.

If you're young and in good shape, maybe you won't notice the weight much and a set-up like this is a smart way to start acquiring gear.

The bivy alone could make a cool emergency shelter in the Spring/Summer.

An old fart, I now need to cut weight to enjoy the hike. If I want CJ to go also, I need to take "some" of hers too. We went from Western Mountaineering (a little too fragile for me) to a Marmot Hydrogen (30 degree) at about 1.3 pounds.

Good luck, hike safe.

Thanks for the responses!

I don't plan on doing any hiking with this sleeping bag if I decide to get it, just pull up to the campsite at the state park and pitch the tent.

So Cerberus1 has first hand experience with one and says it is a good bag. Thanks for the comments!

The dealer I found has them in New condition for $138 with free shipping and includes a free medium alice pack.

Maybe I should jump on this deal?

I've used them in Iraq for over a year, and in the middle of winter in the mountains of Utah. A little heavy, yes, but warm and incredibly durable. Plus, if you get the full package, it comes with a lightweight patrol bag for warmer weather, a heavy one for colder, plus the gore tex bivy. These can all be combined to give a really warm bag in layers.

Thanks everyone for the comments! I did buy one for $99. It says it is used but there are no repairs of any kind to any of the bags and the goretex bivy cover is in perfect condition, no patches.

It's supposed to arrive early next week so I'll be sure to post here what I think of it!

Thanks again everyone!

I've used them in Iraq for over a year, and in the middle of winter in the mountains of Utah. A little heavy, yes, but warm and incredibly durable. Plus, if you get the full package, it comes with a lightweight patrol bag for warmer weather, a heavy one for colder, plus the gore tex bivy. These can all be combined to give a really warm bag in layers.

The patrol bag withstood the coldest transient center AC units on every base I visited in Iraq. Later I looked at the tag and that bag alone is good to around 32F. I think that it, combined with a lightweight bivy, would work perfect for me for backpacking.