Please help

Hesamati

Have a specific question but thought a general topic for help seekers can help manage clutter.

My question - can one somehow download the geocaching maps? Even as an image. Or maybe export to Google maps? There should be something better than screen print...

(know that some will be puzzled by why I would want to do this if you have a GPS... mostly for places/countries I don't have a base map for and sometimes to safe battery power)

Have a specific question but thought a general topic for help seekers can help manage clutter.

My question - can one somehow download the geocaching maps? Even as an image. Or maybe export to Google maps? There should be something better than screen print...

(know that some will be puzzled by why I would want to do this if you have a GPS... mostly for places/countries I don't have a base map for and sometimes to safe battery power)

Open Street maps have free routeable map for the world - search the forum for the links - gr8scott has goven them so this should help you.

There is no such thing as a geocaching map - GS seem to use Yahoo maps.

Download all the caches you want via pocket queries (premium membership (PM) needed) and the load the resulting gpx file into your fave tool - Google Earth works just fine. If you have PM then you get the Google Earth thingy that shows the caches interactively as you scroll.

What GPSr unit do you have - if Garmin it is trivial to get world maps on it via the OSM links that I speak of.

Good luck

Trev

Could you possibly use the free OpenStreetMap for anywhere in the world from here? This gets you a map that can be loaded into Mapsource as well. Only good for Garmin owners but I'm sure there are other sites like this for other makes that can provide you with OSM data.

Maybe this will help. I've not used it myself, but it allows you to download map tiles for use offline.

http://code.google.com/p/gmapcatcher/

Edited by MnCo

Lets assume one is not a PM (Premium Member) and one does not have a Garmin device.

How would you get / display the data?

I remember how frustrating it was when everyone sort of always points one back to Mapsource, GC-PM, and Garmin.

Surely there must by now be some free alternative?

Edited by DamhuisClan

I did a quick test with Google Earth.

Example:

Goto a gc page where you can download .loc files like (non premium members can download .loc files):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...28.1936&f=1

At the bottom under "Waypoint Downloads" select all, and download the .loc file.

Open the folder where it was downloaded and drop into Google earth.

Google earth will now display all the caches (10).

Thanks everyone! Still have to look at the details - think MnCo's gmapcatcher might work.

To clarify... Yes, I took over Noah's hand held Magellan. Small screen, old maps and not a great battery life but accurate and more than sufficient for caching. What I mean with GC map is...

GCmaps.jpg

All I want is a simple street map with the cache locations on it, which I'd like to print (ye, I'm a hard copy kinda guy...) for general referencing. I do use the GE cache viewer online. My perfect solution would be that cache view functionality in G Maps (what the above actually is). I am a PM and do use pocket queries which works great on the GPS itself but Trev can you down load that info to G Maps or openstreetmaps (which I don't know)? DamhuisClan how do you "drop" something in GE? Could I maybe also "drop" it in G Maps?

Will let you know when I had time to investigate your suggestions.

Edited by Hesamati
Thanks everyone! Still have to look at the details - think MnCo's gmapcatcher might work.

To clarify... Yes, I took over Noah's hand held Magellan. Small screen, old maps and not a great battery life but accurate and more than sufficient for caching. What I mean with GC map is...

All I want is a simple street map with the cache locations on it, which I'd like to print (ye, I'm a hard copy kinda guy...) for general referencing. I do use the GE cache viewer online. My perfect solution would be that cache view functionality in G Maps (what the above actually is). I am a PM and do use pocket queries which works great on the GPS itself but Trev can you down load that info to G Maps or openstreetmaps (which I don't know)? DamhuisClan how do you "drop" something in GE?

Just open the gpx file from within Google Earth - I am sure you can do the same with Google Maps

You don;t mention what Magellan you have but here is a link on using OSM data with Magellans

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Magellan

Dropping I assume means just that using Windows Drag and Drop!

Good Luck

Trev

I think I got what I was looking for! GSAK has a Google Map V3 macro that does exactly what I want, i.e. stick a specific database on a map (Google) which is completely functional, interactive and can be stored for use offline. Below is a series of screen shots of increasing resolution. They are looking at including a ref (GC code) to the icons to make cross referencing even easier. Found caches are also distinguishable. You can find the macro here. Thanks for everyone’s contributions.

GCmaps-1.jpg

My cache pages where I used Geocheck are suddenly asking for "authorisation" [A username and password are being requested by http://geocheck.org. The site says: "Protected"] and the Geocheck clicker has disappeared. Plus - when I visit their website it asks the same question and although the login page works this pop up doesn't...?! :P Could it have something to do with GCTidy?

Edited to correct confusion between Geochecker and Geocheck....

Edited by Hesamati

I seem to be the only person experiencing problems with GC.com... Won't display maps (old shortcuts for particular areas), can't do searchers (hide & seek page), can't use the new favorites tool, won't decrypt hints, etc. Suspect it might be GCTidy, which I'm using in Firefox... Any ideas?

Think it might be a greasemonkey script which has not been updated yet?

In fact it is - disabled all the scripts and then it comes right - so now up to the script writers!

It turns out to be GC Tidy that is the problem.

Edited by tomtwogates

http://www.geocaching.com/map/beta/default.aspx

Geocaching.com's mapping system