Benchmark on a ship wreck!

rogbarn

This benchmark is very interesting. It has exact horizontal coordinates, and seems to be an actual disk affixed to the wreak! Most benchmarks like this one don't actually have a disk. A good example is the rotating beacon at an airport or a smokestack. No disk exists, they just measured/determined the location of the object in question and sight on it from a distance to determine the exact location elsewhere. You are supposed to be able to tell the difference by checking the datasheet and see if it says "Observed" or "Monumented". This datasheet clearly says Monumented:

DY3166 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

DY3166 HISTORY - 1934 MONUMENTED CGS

Pop on out there and let us know if an actual disk exists! I'd love to see the pictures.

quote:
You are supposed to be able to tell the difference by checking the datasheet and see if it says "Observed" or "Monumented". This datasheet clearly says Monumented:

I've found at least one other like this. See

FV1815

This is a lookout tower. It states "POINT OBSERVED IS THE CENTER OF THE CROWS-NEST" and yet says "MONUMENTED".

I suspect they just type the sheet up wrong.

Still, I'd like to go check out the ship wreck one. Anyone for a road trip!