Car as geocache

You stick the big TB thingy somewhere on your car then other geocachers can 'discover it' if you're parked at an event or anywhere else. Some cachers use their car TB as a personal mileage tracker and dip them through caches as they travel around but that's not very accurate and, anyway, who's going to believe that your car visited a cache like "Britain's highest geocache"?

Some cachers get round this by putting the Copy TB tag onto their car key and 'dip' them through the caches instead.

MrsB

You stick the big TB thingy somewhere on your car then other geocachers can 'discover it' if you're parked at an event or anywhere else. Some cachers use their car TB as a personal mileage tracker and dip them through caches as they travel around but that's not very accurate and, anyway, who's going to believe that your car visited a cache like "Britain's highest geocache"?

Some cachers get round this by putting the Copy TB tag onto their car key and 'dip' them through the caches instead.

MrsB

my car is a tb though i dont log it in to everything lol. see TB197Q6

lmn

I think Richard Dimbleby, along with sons David and Jonathan, did that in the late 40s or early 50s? Drive up Ben Nevis I mean.

As for car as cache (rather than TB) as I was saying to solly the other day when talking about the UK's largest cache, I think that's been done too, but you have to have a static car. Hide the key somewhere to make it a multi? :rolleyes:

As for car as cache (rather than TB) as I was saying to solly the other day when talking about the UK's largest cache, I think that's been done too, but you have to have a static car. Hide the key somewhere to make it a multi? :rolleyes:

There used to be a moving car cache down our way, IIRC It would broadcast it's location up to a web page then when you found it you could text the owner who would come and open the boot for you to do swaps and sign the logbook.

These are nolonger allowed though, and sadly it was archived before I managed to find it.

As for car as cache (rather than TB) as I was saying to solly the other day when talking about the UK's largest cache, I think that's been done too, but you have to have a static car. Hide the key somewhere to make it a multi? :ph34r:

And disable the engine so some wag doesn't drive off in your cache :rolleyes:

if buying the magnetic TBs for the car - make sure your car is magnetic! Our focus was, but the new Scoobie doesn't have a magnetic boot...

On which note, does anyone know a good supplier for transparent car window cling? I only need a couple of sheets, so I can make one to replace the magnetic jobby...

Dave,

You'll probably be as well to have a chat with Geotees and ask them to make you a decal (talking of which, I need to remember to have a chat too)

if buying the magnetic TBs for the car - make sure your car is magnetic! Our focus was, but the new Scoobie doesn't have a magnetic boot...

On which note, does anyone know a good supplier for transparent car window cling? I only need a couple of sheets, so I can make one to replace the magnetic jobby...

Dave,

You'll probably be as well to have a chat with Geotees and ask them to make you a decal (talking of which, I need to remember to have a chat too)

could do - keeping in mind that I already have the numbers, I just need the decal made up!

/me waits for a GeoTees rep to pop in and tell me how much it would cost for an A4 window decal!

Dave,

could do - keeping in mind that I already have the numbers, I just need the decal made up!

/me waits for a GeoTees rep to pop in and tell me how much it would cost for an A4 window decal!

That's my point - you'll need to contact Andy or Tony to get them to make the Decal up based on your existing numbers. Do you not have their MSN? I find that the easiest way to get hold of them

My car is a TB!!

We did note other cachers taking a note (or photo) of the tracking number at the 10 year meet's we attended but no-one has logged it online!!! :rolleyes:

My old car was a TB for 3 years.

I reckon it's been logged about 1/2 a dozen times and we attend 20+ events a year (including 2 megas so far - the last we were parked right outside)

Tax Disc Holder! :rolleyes:

Mine's a TB

Because I'm a cheapskate, I made my own large tb thing about the size of a car numberplate and it's fixed to the dog-guard in the back- clearly visible from the outside (if the car is clean ;-) )

The original dog-tag is taped to a side window as proof of authenticity. :laughing:

It's been spotted a number of times parked up while we've been out caching...

It's sometimes quite a surprise when the discovered logs appear!

If our car was something a bit cooler I'd have the tracking code down the sides in large letters :lol:

Just wouldn't look right on a Mondeo :drama:

Mrs D's car has a standard car TB sticker which was a prize from Stokesy for being the first to discover his!

Mark

My car's also a trackable.

I used a standard travel bug tag.

I have two laminates with the trackable number on both side facing rear windows (one of which has the original dog tag stuck onto it). I also fave an A4 sized scan of the dog tag which usually stays on the parcel shelf but is elevated onto the rear window or windscreen when parked at events or locations where it's likely to be spotted by Geocachers.

Both of my Jeeps are trackable (TB1X0G5 and TB2EF4Z), and have been seen at events.

I have a vinyl cutter, so made my own stickers, using the numbers from a couple of Jeep GeoCoins I bought and registered (but not released).

I think I might have made the numbers too small, since not many people have logged them. I also think cachers don't bother logging them, thinking they will only get a standard TB icon. Anybody who logs my Jeeps will get a Jeep icon and / or a Tread Lightly logo icon.

Both of my Jeeps are trackable (TB1X0G5 and TB2EF4Z), and have been seen at events.

I have a vinyl cutter, so made my own stickers, using the numbers from a couple of Jeep GeoCoins I bought and registered (but not released).

I think I might have made the numbers too small, since not many people have logged them. I also think cachers don't bother logging them, thinking they will only get a standard TB icon. Anybody who logs my Jeeps will get a Jeep icon and / or a Tread Lightly logo icon.

I have been meanign to get round to turning the rear wheel cover on my landy to a TB. COuld be about 2' :mad: tall.

I have a black canvas cover at the moment any one know where I can get a transfare or Iron on sticker made at reasnoble cost...

Plan A was to buy some masking film and spray but have not got round to it yet :blink:

I have been meanign to get round to turning the rear wheel cover on my landy to a TB. COuld be about 2' :mad: tall.

I have a black canvas cover at the moment any one know where I can get a transfare or Iron on sticker made at reasnoble cost...

Plan A was to buy some masking film and spray but have not got round to it yet :blink:

not sure if I am allowed to post linky but here goes http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/

I am a TB and so is my tent, which I use for camping events. I use my own TB to track my mileage (3356.4 to date) since December 2006. This is attending events and a few long distance caching trips.

I love the idea about the hoody/car getting signed as log books :angry:

I found the camper van TB at Ripon campsite whilst attending the mega in harrogate.

Had someone come and ask about mine in the works car park the other week . . . turns out one of my colleagues is another cacher.

This is a bit off topic but....

I have a sticker on the back of my car saying:

Geocacher on board.

Some time back, a woman pulled up next to me and flashed her GPS at me so I flashed mine back!

Was really funny at the time! :blink:

I recently purchased the magnetic travel bug for the car. It looked a fun idea (and I needed to make up some extra money to get free postage on the website). It has all the neighbours asking me what it is :blink:

I activated the code, stuck the bug on the back and have thought nothing more of it. Hopefully it will be spotted at some point. Look out for us in the Oxon/Berks/Wilts area!

I have seen links to a cache that was an old car on someone's front drive, it was broken down and unused, so they left it unlocked and IIRC just had the cache sitting on the back seat.

There was also a cache in Australia in a wrecked car at the bottom of a cliff that you needed ropes to get to!

Edited by vw_keychain

I found a cache the other week that was attached to the underside of a bicycle seat on a bike that was permanently chained up in a cycle park (which when the park was full is a little bit hit and miss on the searching front !!)

Logical extension would be to have a car in a car-park I guess (although it would have to be free parking or else it'd be a very expensive cache to maintain).

I found a cache the other week that was attached to the underside of a bicycle seat on a bike that was permanently chained up in a cycle park (which when the park was full is a little bit hit and miss on the searching front !!)

Logical extension would be to have a car in a car-park I guess (although it would have to be free parking or else it'd be a very expensive cache to maintain).

dsnt that kinda give the location of the cache away???

lmn

lmn

Only if you go and see what caches they've found recently... :laughing:

:laughing:

lmn

Does that remind you of the cache with the bike that we did in Prestatyn Sam?

lmn

Does that remind you of the cache with the bike that we did in Prestatyn Sam?

Which version? <_< It had 2 lives, now sadly deceased :unsure: . And the container moved around the parts of the bike alot :)

Deci

(I must remember to check that I logged both versions on-line :D )

Well I got there in the end, now I am just curious when I will get tracked first!

fdef56e9-6eff-429d-85d5-6dcb68b6f555.jpg

Looks good! How'd you do it in the end? Transfer, vinyl graphic or paint?

The reason I ask I have a spare wheel cover just like that one on the back of my Landy that is just asking to be turned into a TB! I have a decal in the window but as most others have said they don't get spotted too often!

cheers

G

Edited by wildfowler

Well I got there in the end, now I am just curious when I will get tracked first!

Looks good! How'd you do it in the end? Transfer, vinyl graphic or paint?

The reason I ask I have a spare wheel cover just like that one on the back of my Landy that is just asking to be turned into a TB! I have a decal in the window but as most others have said they don't get spotted too often!

cheers

G

In the end I went for Masking film the low tack stuff used for arty type stuff...

I grabbed an image from google, see below link...

Bug Image

Printed out the image using Excel on 2 sheets in portrate.

Then used word to over enlarge the font and made a stencil for the code...

After that it was a slow job with a craft knife...

In the end I used Hammer Rite Paint, and a sponge to apply...

It was not the quickest job and was not as cheap as I hoped...

Was it worth it? :) I guess when just one person logs it I will say yes ;)

Turn your now redundant tax disc holder into a trackable and display it in your car window.

Go to:

http://cachewalker.createaforum.com/geocoinstravel-bugs/create-your-own-tax-disc-tb/

For a black disc.

Put the TB number in the blank spaces and put the original dog tag on your key ring. Just see how observant cachers REALLY are.

All the finder has to do is mark the trackable as 'Discovered'.

I've had one in my window for a couple of months and it is yet to be discovered.