Crazy Garmin map installs for Macintosh

I think Garmin promised Mac software about 2001 or so. To date, you still need a PC available in order to use Garmin products. Crazy.

Garmin has at least made some software for the Mac in the last 10 years such as RoadTrip and BaseCamp, but the silly step of converting the maps using a PC needs to go. Are you listening Garmin?

The maps are on the DVD. The installer is on the Mac's hard drive. RoadTrip is on the hard drive. So why is unlocking still done on a PC? How hard would it be to just unlock the maps using a Mac application and install them?

Right now you still need to insert the DVD into a PC, convert the maps into a .gmapi file, load that file onto some sort of drive or disk, import it into the Macintosh, then open it with MapManager to make it usable for MapInstall. Then you can proceed choose maps and install them onto the device or card. Seriously Garmin, contact someone at Apple to work with you in making an install app for the Mac.

By the way, the City Navigator DVD says it's Mac compatible, and nowhere on the case does it say you need to use a PC. It's very misleading. I knew you had to do this, but I can image it's extremely frustrating for folks new to using Garmin software with their Macs.

Edited by Parsa

I didn't know that Mac User's went off road, thought that Starbucks and Barnes & Noble were the only adventure taken.... Sorry couldn't resist :))

Oh I agree with you 100%, I just cringe everytime I have to reload software. I think Garmin signed a deal with the devil on the process.

I didn't know that Mac User's went off road, thought that Starbucks and Barnes & Noble were the only adventure taken.... Sorry couldn't resist :))

Oh I agree with you 100%, I just cringe everytime I have to reload software. I think Garmin signed a deal with the devil on the process.

I didn't know that Macs were used for anything other than surfing the web and connecting to iPods.

All you Mac haters can enjoy your spy ware and viruses. :ph34r:

Seriously though, the majority of GPSr companies really need to get bent. One the main reasons I'm currently considering the Lowrance Endura lineup is that they, of all the rest I have come across, seem to be the most Mac friendly right out of the box. With my Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx, I still have to go into Terminal and manually delete the hidden files (that Mac OS X stores there for safe keeping...) from the memory card after unmounting or else the entire unit ceases to function! :rolleyes: Gong-show. What is this? 1996?!

I think Garmin promised Mac software about 2001 or so. To date, you still need a PC available in order to use Garmin products. Crazy.

Garmin has at least made some software for the Mac in the last 10 years such as RoadTrip and BaseCamp, but the silly step of converting the maps using a PC needs to go. Are you listening Garmin?

The maps are on the DVD. The installer is on the Mac's hard drive. RoadTrip is on the hard drive. So why is unlocking still done on a PC? How hard would it be to just unlock the maps using a Mac application and install them?

Right now you still need to insert the DVD into a PC, convert the maps into a .gmapi file, load that file onto some sort of drive or disk, import it into the Macintosh, then open it with MapManager to make it usable for MapInstall. Then you can proceed choose maps and install them onto the device or card. Seriously Garmin, contact someone at Apple to work with you in making an install app for the Mac.

By the way, the City Navigator DVD says it's Mac compatible, and nowhere on the case does it say you need to use a PC. It's very misleading. I knew you had to do this, but I can image it's extremely frustrating for folks new to using Garmin software with their Macs.

I agree, my waypoint manager only is usable in windows. I'd like to get street traffic card for my GPSmap csx 60. C'mon Garmin, It's almost 2011 ! Plus I'd like to purchase aforesaid card if it can be configured via my mac.

Regards

All you Mac haters can enjoy your spy ware and viruses. :D

Seriously though, the majority of GPSr companies really need to get bent. One the main reasons I'm currently considering the Lowrance Endura lineup is that they, of all the rest I have come across, seem to be the most Mac friendly right out of the box. With my Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx, I still have to go into Terminal and manually delete the hidden files (that Mac OS X stores there for safe keeping...) from the memory card after unmounting or else the entire unit ceases to function! :) Gong-show. What is this? 1996?!

No more Gong Show for me and my 60CSx. I downloaded BlueHarvest last night and it works like a charm, no more lock-ups or endless beeping when shutting the unit down. Give the free trial version a spin to see if you like it before shelling out the $16.95.

No more Gong Show for me and my 60CSx. I downloaded BlueHarvest last night and it works like a charm, no more lock-ups or endless beeping when shutting the unit down. Give the free trial version a spin to see if you like it before shelling out the $16.95.

I have been having the same problem with my 60CSx. I'm hoping this will fix my lock-ups and endless beep when shutting down, which will kill the battery and be unresponsive until removing the batteries. Thanks for the information. I will give it a shot.