Dipping travel bugs or coins

The Bakkers

If you are referring to "dipping" as temporarily placing the trackable into a cache to get the miles, and then moving it along, then it is almost as simple as it sounds. Though not a practice I partake in, you would essentially drop the bug into the cache you are at via the cache page, then take it right back out. Many people do this with the TB's that are the vehicle clings on the cachemobile that they drive from one cache to another. That I don't mind so much since they are driving that vehicle to the cache, but the practice of putting a bug into a cache only to get the miles, when you never actually place the bug there, I don't get. But to each his own! Play the game the way you want! :) Happy caching.

If you are referring to "dipping" as temporarily placing the trackable into a cache to get the miles, and then moving it along, then it is almost as simple as it sounds. Though not a practice I partake in, you would essentially drop the bug into the cache you are at via the cache page, then take it right back out. Many people do this with the TB's that are the vehicle clings on the cachemobile that they drive from one cache to another. That I don't mind so much since they are driving that vehicle to the cache, but the practice of putting a bug into a cache only to get the miles, when you never actually place the bug there, I don't get. But to each his own! Play the game the way you want! :) Happy caching.

I've not done this yet. I did not know if it was expected or the exception. If its frowned apon then I would just not do it and continue to actually drop them in.

I've not done this yet. I did not know if it was expected or the exception. If its frowned apon then I would just not do it and continue to actually drop them in.

People do it alot. I don't really agree with people going back and dipping a TB or geocoin into caches they been to previously, but that apparently happens alot too. I recently dipped my own TB into a local cache (I had the TB with me when I found the cache), so when I decide on a place to release it later it will appear to have started near my home.

That I don't mind so much since they are driving that vehicle to the cache, but the practice of putting a bug into a cache only to get the miles, when you never actually place the bug there, I don't get. But to each his own! Play the game the way you want! :) Happy caching.

I've dipped TBs quite a few times in caches too small to hold a TB but were in locations that the trackable might never visit otherwise or may not be the best place do drop a TB. That includes caches in Italy, South Africa, and Zimbabwe. If I would have left some of those TBs in the caches in Africa they might not ever get back home or complete their mission. I almost aways include a photo of the TB near the cache site when I drop it. To me, trackable items are meant to travel, and it doesn't matter as much if one person is taking it from cache to cache or more geocachers are involved.

To the OP: Be sure to retrieve the TB from the cache promptly (read "immediately after") dropping it. A lot of people mess up these simple steps and someone will go looking for a cache thinking the TB is physically in there when it's not.

We usually do not partake in dipping Travel Bugs. The only bug we will dip is our vehicle magnet Travel Bug, and that is only if we were driving that vehicle when we found the cache.

Edited by BCProspectors

Seems like a lot of work for no real value to me.

It seems to me that the OP is talking about dipping other people's TB, not a personal traveler.

If you are carrying a TB while caching and want to give it credit for being there Dipping is perfectly fine. There are plenty of micro caches or caches where you don't want to leave it (Bad for the bug) so sometimes Dipping is all you can do to help the bug reach the goal/mission. How many professional baseball stadiums have a full sized ammocan cache available to drop off a bug, eh?

As for personal bugs, yes it is a lot of work and value is in the eye of the holder.

There is considerable value in dipping bugs that are not left behind.

It shows the bug owner that the bug is still safely traveling with a cacher (which is the sole purpose of a TB).

Most bugs have the generic goal to visit as many caches as possible, so dipping is the most appropriate means to that goal.

If the bug is moving from cache to cache with someone, it is in fact visiting any caches that the cacher visits. If you don't dip the bug, you are technically not doing all the needed logging for the cache.

When I do this, am I supposed to add a note to the log saying I am dipping my personal coin or TB, or can I just put that info in my "found it" log entry?

If you are back-logging to catch up the previous finds you'll need to post a Note to do the logging.

Current finds you just include it with your Found it log, no one really knows (or cares) that you are also Dipping a Personal TB so there's usually no need to mention it.

Groundspeak has made it easier to "dip" a TB or Geocoin into a cache by adding a "Visited" option instead of just dropping a TB or coin into a cache. I also noticed that "Visiting" is an option for earthcaches (that's how I found out about the visit option, by logging an earth cache).

Groundspeak has made it easier to "dip" a TB or Geocoin into a cache by adding a "Visited" option instead of just dropping a TB or coin into a cache. I also noticed that "Visiting" is an option for earthcaches (that's how I found out about the visit option, by logging an earth cache).

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that yet. Apparently webcam caches are open too.