A twist on the FTF= 2 smileys

OK, usually I am quite strict on the one find per cache code (with the exception of certain virtual and moving caches ... another topic...). What do people think of this one:

Last year I found a nano, the hint didn't match the found location at all. I e-mailed the CO, and she was happy I had found it. It had migrated, and she could no longer find it, and it was in need of a new log. Anyway, I gave here info on how to find her cache. She (presumably) re-hid it where it was originally intended. Ever since I have been debating re-finding it now that it is in the correct location, and posting a 2nd found it log. A year later, I still haven't decided if I should or not.

im likely to get stoned or chase with torches and pitch forks but.........

mob-simpsons.jpg

In my opinion, the smiley is for aachiving the experiance getting to the cache, if the cache has now moved, or the experience getting to it is a lot different then why not have a new experienec and a new smiley.

Is the cache owner OK with you logging a second find? If so then the only thing stopping you may be your personal feelings on the topic.

While we're on the subject, I found a couple caches where the cache owner later archived the cache and then resubmitted it with a new GC number. Same container, same hide location, same log even. But hey!, it was a new GC number so I logged another find on it. (Now the question is: did I have to visit and sign the log again or, since I had already found the cache and signed the log, could I just log another 'Found It' online? :) )

Here's what I would ask myself.

Do the numbers matter to me? If not, then I wouldn't log an extra smiley on the same cache.

If the answer is yes, then I would ask myself if I would feel comfortable posting my stats and others looking up my finds and see double smilies.

In other words, if the numbers do matter, then shouldn't the way you obtained them matter as well?

OK, usually I am quite strict on the one find per cache code (with the exception of certain virtual and moving caches ... another topic...). What do people think of this one:

Last year I found a nano, the hint didn't match the found location at all. I e-mailed the CO, and she was happy I had found it. It had migrated, and she could no longer find it, and it was in need of a new log. Anyway, I gave here info on how to find her cache. She (presumably) re-hid it where it was originally intended. Ever since I have been debating re-finding it now that it is in the correct location, and posting a 2nd found it log. A year later, I still haven't decided if I should or not.

It's entirely up to you.

You could dye your hair orange, don a pair of neon green boxer shorts, and run down the center street of the nearest major city while screaming woohoo!!! while carrying 2 dozen balloons with smiley faces on them. I wouldn't try to stop you, but I wouldn't do it either, but don't expect to not hear any comments.. :)

if it is a little magnet... i'd go find it, log the smiley.... move it to a nearby sign/metal object...

find it again... log another smiley....

rinse, repeat.

given a good location, that little micro might be good for 20 smilies. :)

You MAY get some deleted logs by doing that. Probably 19, if you have an equally unfair cache owner, then 20

if it is a little magnet... i'd go find it, log the smiley.... move it to a nearby sign/metal object...

rinse, repeat.

given a good location, that little micro might be good for 20 smilies. :cry:

You MAY get some deleted logs by doing that. Probably 19, if you have an equally unfair cache owner, then 20

I think it was a joke... :)

rinse, repeat.

given a good location, that little micro might be good for 20 smilies. :P

I think it was a joke... :)

sometimes you just have to set the hook and see what bites... :cry:

rinse, repeat.

I think it was a joke... :cry:

I'd intended my reply as a sarcastic reply, did it not come off as one? :)

I think it was a joke... :P

It didn't, but now that you explain it as such then yes, it works out fine, no worries :cry:

ah! no worries... I wish! I just got an E-mail saying I'd entered the wrong coordinates when I'd said in my DNF that I didn't chase the second stage of a multi because it was 26km away... Turns out it was 400m away! And during my summer holidays I'm going to get my first FTF (unless somebody else beats me to it in the next 3 months, though I doubt it because it's been there since august 2009 and no takers...)

In general, with questions like this, I think if you have to ask the advice of a forum you probably already know the answer -- whatever the answer might be. For me, caches migrate all the time and there are enough to keep me busy without double counting one that was out of place when I found it. But if I felt it was warranted for some reason, I would contact the CO before posting a second find log.

Someone once advised me to flip a coin and see if I argued against its call. If I did, go with my argument. If I didn't, go with the coin. Its similar to forum advice. If you think you should ask, you probably have questions about it in your mind. And if you disagree with the answers, then you know what to do. Either way, its just part of a game.

Edited by Erickson

rinse, repeat.

I think it was a joke... :cry:

Amateurs!

*** Professionals use disclaimers.

In general, with questions like this, I think if you have to ask the advice of a forum you probably already know the answer -- whatever the answer might be. ...

I know some one would say that.

Anyway, It is not a super location, but a fairly good one considering it is in the city. I run past there frequently. I am mostly concerned with perseption. As for asking the CO, maybe I should have done that right after the insident, not a year later. Maybe it is too late. Anyway, I think I will keep debating this in my head.

Amateurs!

you get paid to do this?

Not exactly, but he's probably getting paid by someone who thinks he's doing something else while he is doing this.

*** I have no personal knowledge of GB's employment status, just a general observation on the daytime activity in these forums.

PS-my boss knows what I am typing before I can even type it. :)

Edited by wimseyguy

Amateurs!

you get paid to do this?

Not exactly, but he's probably getting paid by someone who thinks he's doing something else while he is doing this.

*** I have no personal knowledge of GB's employment status, just a general observation on the daytime activity in these forums.

PS-my boss knows what I am typing before I can even type it. :)

There are rewards in life that are not monetary.

*** Understanding that the lack of money does make it hard to focus on anything else.

Amateurs!

I am not an amateur just because I don't have stars at the bottom of my post!

note: This is because by using *** I imply that this is the third note, and by using * I imply that there must be an extra * hidden somewhere in the post that links to this bottom note, to avoid such conflicts, I use the word "note" followed by a colon (the little ":" sign, not the organ)

Actualy, on second thought, I am prety sure that the original location (where it is now) is a LPC. I think I will skip it.

I now realize why it migrated! Someone got so tired of another crappy lamp post he hid it in a more creative spot... Sadly, the CO didn't like the fact another cacher found a better spot less then 10 feet away (coords are the same) and put it back...

Actualy, on second thought, I am prety sure that the original location (where it is now) is a LPC. I think I will skip it.

I now realize why it migrated! Someone got so tired of another crappy lamp post he hid it in a more creative spot... Sadly, the CO didn't like the fact another cacher found a better spot less then 10 feet away (coords are the same) and put it back...

Not quite how it happened... When I found it, I e-mailed the CO asking if it was in the original location. She said she couldn't find it anymore, and could I tell her were it was.

Here is a nother interesting question. If I hadn't told her were it was, and she found it, should she log a Found It log on her own cache?

***This is intended as a joke. Obviously you should not log a Found It log on your own cache.

***This is intended as a joke. Obviously you should not log a Found It log on your own cache.

What is obvious to one is not necessarily obvious to all.

**** note: This little tidbit has been gleaned from years of forum participation.

*** I will try just note: later, but *** note: just doesn't work, does it?

Is the cache owner OK with you logging a second find? If so then the only thing stopping you may be your personal feelings on the topic.

While we're on the subject, I found a couple caches where the cache owner later archived the cache and then resubmitted it with a new GC number. Same container, same hide location, same log even. But hey!, it was a new GC number so I logged another find on it. (Now the question is: did I have to visit and sign the log again or, since I had already found the cache and signed the log, could I just log another 'Found It' online? :rolleyes: )

Obviously, if you know for sure it is the same container, same hide location and same log, then you expended the energy, time and mode of transportation to find it again and log a find; so, you did it the right way. (Unless, of course, you communicated witht the CO and was given all that info.) To log any cache online without having done the work...isn't that called 'armchair caching'? Seems we have an 'armchair cacher' in our area. A number of my caches have been logged as found, but the physical log hasn't been signed. I'm not in the game to judge how/why others do what they do. Perhaps this 'armchair cacher' is housebound and can only use GoogleEarth to experience the 'find'. I've only deleted one or two logs that I can remember and both times they were double logs; all others I leave as posted.

mob-simpsons.jpg

In my opinion, the smiley is for aachiving the experiance getting to the cache, if the cache has now moved, or the experience getting to it is a lot different then why not have a new experienec and a new smiley.

Where's brslk in that picture?

mob-simpsons.jpg

Where's brslk in that picture?

I think he is the one that took the picture ...

I've done it on a cache that was in a huge area of stacked and jumbled boulders in thick thorny woods. The original cache took me a lot of trips to find and a year or more later the owner moved it quite far form the original spot.. not sure why it wasn't archived and a new cache submitted but that's really another topic... and then invited everyone that had found the original to give the new location a try. I did. The original spot made my ATF list.. the new spot was a lot easier.

I've done it on a cache that was in a huge area of stacked and jumbled boulders in thick thorny woods. The original cache took me a lot of trips to find and a year or more later the owner moved it quite far form the original spot.. not sure why it wasn't archived and a new cache submitted but that's really another topic... and then invited everyone that had found the original to give the new location a try. I did. The original spot made my ATF list.. the new spot was a lot easier.

I don't understand it when they do it. Because I rely on notifications and on the map to find unfound caches, I never see such invitations. Even when I do, I find it rather awkward to be logging 2 finds on a cache.

By the way, what is your ATF list? Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms?

When I was a noob a cache owner moved a cache about 35 miles with the same GC number. I logged it again, but deleted the second log when I realized what had happened. Today, as a premium member, my pocket queries wouldn't have shown that cache again.

When I was a noob a cache owner moved a cache about 35 miles with the same GC number. I logged it again, but deleted the second log when I realized what had happened. Today, as a premium member, my pocket queries wouldn't have shown that cache again.

Today I believe the system imposes a limit on how far you can correct your original coordinates. I'd hazard a guess and say 35 miles will be beyond that limit :rolleyes:

**** note: This little tidbit has been gleaned from years of forum participation.

*** I will try just note: later, but *** note: just doesn't work, does it?

how would you know, you never said *** note: except when you were saying it didn't work.

note: you had previously used **** note: but that is a whole other topic for a whole other post*

*the phrase "a whole other topic for a whole other post" does not mean that this is in any way different, it was merely an exaggeration of the obvious**.

** to some...

noteII: I enjoy adding extra fine print, don't you find it makes people less likely to misunderstand what you mean (because who needs smileys!***)****

*** some people do need smileys to give off the emotions that they truley meant, this was only meant for comedic reasons, not to insult such people

**** side effects may include: people finding your posts too long and annoying

Ahhh, but there is risk in everything you do. :drama:

Note: *** Feel free to stop reading once you see 3 stars. :laughing:

*** edited because I did say I would try just a plain Note:.

*** edited again because I like the asterisks better.

Edited by GeoBain

Ahhh, but there is risk in everything you do. :drama:

Note: *** Feel free to stop reading once you see 3 stars. :laughing:

I think I've found something that makes me a more professional forum-er than you: I dare you, out of all of my logs and forum posts, try and find a single one that I've edited. The same could just about (not quite though) go for your not editing a forum post.

Edit to add: You should only base it on whether or not it actually has been edited, as the "Edit to add" here means nothing!

Ahhh, but there is risk in everything you do. :laughing:

Note: *** Feel free to stop reading once you see 3 stars. :D

I think I've found something that makes me a more professional forum-er than you: I dare you, out of all of my logs and forum posts, try and find a single one that I've edited. The same could just about (not quite though) go for your not editing a forum post.

Edit to add: You should only base it on whether or not it actually has been edited, as the "Edit to add" here means nothing!

You got me. I AM an amateur. :lol:

*** BTW, I WILL find a forum post you've edited even if I have to come to your house and edit one on your computer. :drama:

*** edited just for the sake of editing ***

Edited by GeoBain