Bad news for NC1775

headmj

Well, I finally got a chance to really dig (literally) for this benchmark placed in 1902. I am CERTAIN that I have found the spot but it is not recoverable by me. It appears to be under an 18 inch tree stump. Without a back hoe I can't get to it.

There were five marks set at this time and I am beginning to wonder if I will find any of them. They are:

NC1723 - not found by NGS in 1952

NC1724 - not found by NGS in 1954

NC1724 - no attempts

NC1775 - not found by me

NC1776 - no attempts

Any comments from the BM pros here?

Thanks

Mike

I'm no benchmark pro, but I would not bother digging for it - it should be rising above the surface. It was a post 40" tall buried 36" deep, and that leaves 4" above the surface.

It couldn't have fallen over. It's doubtful that a tree would've grown over it - it would instead have grown next to it. A cross section of the stump should indicate whether it had to grow next to a 4"x4" unmovable stone.

If the landowner doesn't mind, you could try a metal detector in the immediate area.

A quick trip back to this site with my GPS to take additional readings with no leaves on the trees. It took me back to exactly the spot I was at last fall. I will try later this year with a big probe and shovel around the stump