How often do you cache?

When I started caching I was very enthisiastic about it and me and my 10yr old son went everyday! We are still enthusiastic about it, but, the more caches we find, the farther away from our house they get. We still try to cache several times a week, and we plan (caching days) on our days off, but there arent really any left that we can "hit on the way home from school or work" I was just wondering because we only have 34 caches found and if we want to cache now we either have to drive clear across town or drive to another local town. With working a 40hr/wk job and toting kids back and forth from school, karate, ect... how does one find the time. Ived noticed that there are cachers that have 1000's of finds and still seem to cache just about everyday. Where do you find the time? :)

I am personally in the process of doing a challenge cache, GC1KQZA that involves needing to find at least one cache every day for 101 days. I have 14 days left! It's been REALLY hard. I work 70 hours a week (sometimes more) so I may go out and grab a cache on my lunchbreak, or at night after work, or in the morning before work (It's 6:30 AM, and I'm actually about to go do that right now).

To be honest, for me caching every day is not that much fun, and I will be glad to go back to finding caches on the weekends only when this challenge is done; but I'm REALLY proud of myself for sticking through it, and it gives me a sense of accomplishment!

My preference is to go out and find 10-20 caches on a Saturday or Sunday, or to make a whole weekend caching trip where I go somewhere really interesting and cache while I am visiting that interesting place. It will be nice to get back to that routine.

Many of the folks that you see who have thousands of cache finds who go out every day are retired, and they have earned that time off to do whatever they want! Some folks just really love caching and it's their favorite or only hobby.

Don't worry too much, it's not about the numbers, it's about you having the best experience possible, whether that means you cache once a week, or every day, if you're having a great time, then that's what it's all about.

i have a 9 and a 4 yr old.. dont' have thousands of caches yet.. it'll take me years.. i load my PQ every day and am prepared to cache if we have the time.. i kinda burned them out a bit going every evening.. too many micros with no trade items.. they like to trade for something worthless, which goes in our cache bag.. we then can leave something for something else.

we just went on a camping trip and found a few and then found a few more on the trip back via caches along a route. it's a great break from many hours in the car. breaks the trip up for them. i always try to let one of them out of the car to make the find when i get us to GZ. i let my navigator/wife look at the caches coming up while i'm driving. i can't zoom in and read the description and stuff. i could stop and plan ahead a bit, but with 2 kids, plans are often foiled.

our next trip will be 3X as long.. caching on that one too. it'll take all day to get there and then to get back. caching really slows you down.

instead of going to the local grocery store with them, we'll sometimes look at the map and go to a different store near a cache. there are lots near us, just some of them on the shadier side of town. takes a saturday daytime trip for thoses. we'll stop by the donut shop and take a swing through the other side of town on the way home.

now that school is out we won't have to fret too much caching on a school night.. hard to get homework, bath and dinner and all on a school night. still gotta get them to daycare and me to work though..

sucks when life gets in the way of life..

My caching is sporadic. I may go many days without geocaching. According my my profile my longest streak was 55 days without a find (May to August of last year). I might have had a few DNFs in that stretch. I can't imagine I'd go that long without hunting any caches.

I'd say on average I geocache roughly once every two weeks. Rarely do I go out specifically to geocache. I usually tie geocaching in with other activities. If I'm coaching a soccer game, I'll check for caches in the park. If I'm going hiking I check for caches along the route. If I'm fishing or canoeing I'll see if there are any boat accessible caches where I'm going.

I've seen a lot of people who were geocaching maniacs, going out every day possible and amassing huge numbers of finds, then they got burned out and no longer geocache. Caching the way I do it keeps it fresh for me.

Whenever the mood strikes us.

Lately we do a lot of hiking just for the sheer enjoyment of the great outdoors and the exercise and fresh air that it provides. Depending upon the weather, we hike 4-5 times per week. Fortunately we have a great park near our home to which we have season passes.

I go with my partners every Monday and depending on who is doing the planning we'll do anywhere from 4-20 caches. The low number days are days we're hiking and covering 6+ miles. The high number days are days we're doing urban caches and doing a lot of driving.

In addition, I'll go out on my own and do about 10 caches sometime during the week. Going cacheing gives me a break from my work schedule.

I also have the problem of unfound caches getting farther and farther away. I guess we all do, unless there are lots of new caches being published in your area.

I also don't seek urban micros, so that cuts my available caches about in half. These days, I like to pick a nearby park and map out its caches. Then I'll spend hours there and get a bunch of finds. My other method is to plan a route, usually a loop. Sometimes I'll run out for just one if it's nearby.

So it's irregular, but generally at least once a week.

Last year when I first started, I would go 3 or 4 times a week. But now that I've pretty much cleaned up all the caches I want within a 20 mile radius, I simply don't have the time or money for caching during the work week. So, now I average once a week, usually Saturday. I try to combine caching with biking and hiking, to cut down on the amount of driving from cache to cache.

Statistically - I go caching about every 6 days and find 2 caches.

In reality - it is very sporadic. I am in the same situation as you. There are very few local caches I have not already found (and I drive 35 miles to work one way each day). Still, I cache when I can. Sometimes 4 or 5 days in a week and then I'll go 3 weeks without. Come vacation time, I'll cache for 14 days straight with 5 to 15 caches each day. About once per month, I set aside time to travel off 50-75 miles for a few caches with the whole family. Otherwise, I cache when (rarely) a new one pops up in the area or when business or pleasure takes me down the road.

I feel your pain. I have 4 kids. Along with them come basketball, (girls and boys) track, baseball, girl scouts, graduation, Italy trip meetings, plays, award ceremonies, birthday parties, holidays and the such. Not to mention my job, college, and a husband that requires some attention too. But no matter what's going on we set aside Sundays to go Gecaching. We have to travel about 40 miles to the closest ones so we make a day of it. Breakfast at the gas station then a sit down lunch. Sometimes we bring a cooler and pack lunch. It will take me a long time to reach 1,000 caches but I look forward to it.

im a "part time" cacher meaning i only get to do it as and when, in a year i have 62 finds.

I cache normal on the spare of the moment, a quick 5 - 10 spare from a meeting finishing early, my way home from work, dropping Mini DID at school,

collecting a dog, just a search of the imidiate area where i am at the time and off to the closest.

I have to travel to get to caches especially if I want accessible ones for my family when they're with. So basically I'll try to cache once a weekend. This long weekend I'm going to garden and if I have time in the evenings maybe cache.

But what happens is that I have to put aside a day to get like 5-6 caches out of town. I can't do that every weekend. So sometimes I'll only get one or two caches.

Then I also try to eliminate some burnout by not doing the repetitive caches as in all the ones along the local bike trail. Or all the ones in the mining areas here on top of the hills etc. If it's new and fresh and someplace I want to go I'll take the time to get out there.

When I started caching I was very enthisiastic about it and me and my 10yr old son went everyday! We are still enthusiastic about it, but, the more caches we find, the farther away from our house they get. We still try to cache several times a week, and we plan (caching days) on our days off, but there arent really any left that we can "hit on the way home from school or work" I was just wondering because we only have 34 caches found and if we want to cache now we either have to drive clear across town or drive to another local town. With working a 40hr/wk job and toting kids back and forth from school, karate, ect... how does one find the time. Ived noticed that there are cachers that have 1000's of finds and still seem to cache just about everyday. Where do you find the time? :)

Yep over 5700 finds and still on my daily caching streak at about 700 + days with a cache a day.

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

I'm on a streak since 17 Aug 2009 and (grumble grumble) now have to keep it going so I can satisfy the demand of a recently published Challenge.

It's still good. I like to find at least one cache each day. :)

It's raining today, so that will add a bit to the challenge of today's find (like not getting muddy.)

My weekends generally revolve around going caching somewhere, even if I don't have a lot of finds. It's great to get out and hike, rather than sit around trying to figure out what else I could do. Traveling a little bit is part of the necessity, but it is great to find new areas, new views, new secret locations, et al. I'm having fun. :cry:

Ived noticed that there are cachers that have 1000's of finds and still seem to cache just about everyday. Where do you find the time? :)

I have 3 kids between 4 and 10, and precious little time. I go out at lunch a few times per week, though in that limited amount of time I rarely get more than 2 or 3, even PNGs. Occasionally I'll grab some on the way to work or home from work, or on the way home from a friend's house or whatnot, even at midnight. On rare occasions I'll run out in the evening for an FTF, and sometimes I'll even get up early and go caching for 2 or 3 hours on a Saturday morning before the kids start getting up. Once in a while I can convince them to go out with me for an hour or two, but more than that and they start getting bored and whiny. Usually when I start looking at my iphone or gpsr they roll their eyes and protest. My wife humors me occasionally, but is really completely uninterested.

I'm very fortunate in that there are over 8000 caches within 50 miles of my home. Many, many of those are urban micros, of course, but I have little enough time for caching that I am perfectly happy to grab those on my way somewhere. I don't often get to go after the nice forest preserve hides, especially the ones that require a long or strenuous hike, because I just haven't the time.

The circle of nearby caches is spreading thinner and thinner, but in my case driving to those further out means a 5 or 10 mile drive, not 50. I'm only in the mid-300's still, though I'm trying to hit 500 by my first anniversary, and with so many caches in my area I can still usually manage to squeeze in a little caching during the odd spare moment.

I guess I am lucky to live in a town that is pretty saturated with caches, tho it's a double edged sword, means I have to work extra hard to find a decent spot to place a cache, but I think it's worth it.

I cache every day. I take my kids and my dogs to someplace new every day. We don't always find every cache in a particular park on purpose, we save a couple for another trip.

On weekends when I head out I might get 10 caches in a good day, but most caching trips involve no more than 4.

I cache two or three days a week. It gets me out of the house, and keeps me from getting mouldy!

There are about 150 caches within ten miles that I still have not found (though that includes kayaking caches, and tree climbing caches.) Twenty or thirty miles is not far for a geocaching trip. I'm working on the Central Jersey Checkpoint Challenge, and most of those caches are 30 or 40 miles away. Does make for a long trip.

Geocaching vacation coming up. Coloring in South Carolina (one of four states that I've never been to), Georgia and Florida.

So, it depends how much you like geocaching, and what it does for you. Basically the reason I took up distance hiking, and finished half the AT in only ten years!

Yep over 5700 finds and still on my daily caching streak at about 700 + days with a cache a day.

Scubasonic

Awesome!! That's really amazing :cry:

Before I got an iPhone i was caching about once a week. Now that I have an iPhone, I cache almost daily.

I am a courier and drive about 9 hours a day in a very cache rich city and surrounding towns (about 200 KMs a day).

If I have a few minutes to spare I fire up the phone and search for nearby caches and go for them.

I try to find at least one a day but some days I don't have the free time or DNF.

Other days I find 2-6 in one day while working.

That's the solution! Become a courier and wait for a slowing down economy so you have free time while working! (the working for commission part kinda hurts but meh)

I go out between 2 and 5 days a week. It depends on what the weather is like, what shift I am working and what plans we have for the weekend. Off shift work weeks give me more time to cache (but less family time). I tend to plan cache runs in local parks. When I am on 2nd shift, I try to hit parks closer to work and go straight to work after caching.

The short answer is "whenever I can!". In reality, that may mean every day for a week or 10 days without caching followed by a prolific weekend.

I try to fit urban caches into errands, lunchtime, travel to and from work during the week and then get out on the weekends for more rural caching adventures with the whole family.

Not often enough.

According to my GSAK stats the number of days I have gone caching each year...

2007 - 109

2008 - 113

2009 - 65

2010 - 23 (so far)

In the first two years I found most of the cache within 15 miles of where I live and even at my low find rate there are fewer newer caches in the area than I can find during the same period.

I also work full time and have kiddies and other hobbies, so there's no way I could cache every day.

We usually manage at least once a week though - sometimes more often if there's a particularly nice evening during the week and the kids specifically ask to go caching (I don't like to push it on them as I don't want them to get sick of it)

We would usually spend at least one of the weekend days at least partly caching (ie if we aren't out specifically to cache we will pick a couple up on the way to or from wherever else we are going) -and the caches we do go after are quality ones.

eg this last weekend we did a nice walk around a local nature park on the Saturday that included collecting some caches along the way, but rather than making it all about geocaching we also took a picnic lunch and swimming stuff so we could go for a swim at a local lido after the long walk.

I'm in no rush to get my numbers up, so it's all good.

I am currently on a streak of 473 consecutive days with the intent of reaching 500. This has been a MAJOR undertaking for me. I initially started out with trying to reach 100 days. Well that came and went real quick so I set the goal at 200. Then I was challenged to go one year. At that point several caching friends held an event in my honor. During this event I was aked if I thought I could make it to 500 days. At first I said "I am not even going to try" but as the day went by and more people asked - well, you know the rest of the story.... Here I am at 473 and still going.

Now, the question has risen - What is the record??

Does anyone know?? I have seen that ScubaSonic has gone over 700 days. Is there anyone who has more consecutive days??

I am currently on a streak of 473 consecutive days with the intent of reaching 500. This has been a MAJOR undertaking for me. I initially started out with trying to reach 100 days. Well that came and went real quick so I set the goal at 200. Then I was challenged to go one year. At that point several caching friends held an event in my honor. During this event I was aked if I thought I could make it to 500 days. At first I said "I am not even going to try" but as the day went by and more people asked - well, you know the rest of the story.... Here I am at 473 and still going.

Now, the question has risen - What is the record??

Does anyone know?? I have seen that ScubaSonic has gone over 700 days. Is there anyone who has more consecutive days??

IMSpider is up to 1,240 consecutive days according to his profile, which was last updated Sunday. I'm sure he's added 4 more days to that total.

I read about someone who has a streak of over 7,000 days going but I forget who it us.

For my first five years, it was every weekend, both days. Almost no exceptions. Winter/summer, rain/snow/heat. But this year, as I'm a hair's breadth from my 5K milestone, I've slowed way down. Partially because I have my eyes on one particular cache for the milestone, but its been way too hot for it this summer, but I think a large part of it is simply that the really nice "surprise" caches are so much fewer and far between.

I'm marking the beginning of my 2nd year caching. I'm retired, usually cache alone but occasionally with one of my grand-kids. At first it was almost every day, but now that most of the nearby caches are smileys, Mrs and I take a mini-vacation into previously unexplored areas every 3 or 4 weeks. For me, it really is NOT about the numbers. It IS the thrill of the find and the chance to see new places and scenes. My PQ's are for Traditional 2/2's or less because I'm not good at puzzles and lack the determination or endurance for multi's. I may be in the minority, but I truly enjoy finding micros (even in the woods). Not much into SWAG, but I do carry a few trinkets in case I come across something that catches my fancy. I guess you might say I hear a different drummer, but I feel a part of the geocaching community.

Very sporadic for us. It took us over a year to get into the 60s. We try to go a few times a month, sometimes almost daily for a week or so, sometimes our various other obligations keep us occupied for a few weeks with no caching. The kids really love it, but burn out after 2 or 3 in a day. I tried doing one a day once, but by the 4th day they were complaining. It is very important to me that they continue to enjoy caching, so we will dial back when needed to ensure that it stays fun. Someday maybe we'll be going out and getting 20 or more in a weekend... but I kind of doubt it.

I'd been wondering about this question and found this thread by searching for "lunchbreak"!

I started last October - so throught the winter it was very much urban caching, but of course a nice blank map to attack. 120 of my 550 caches have been found from work - nearly all in lunchtime (got 5 in an hour twice), a couple of cache and dashes on the way in including a FTF. I have a 30-mile cross-country drive to work. I think I drive past (within sight) of about 20 caches, which have been picked off on the way home. With lighter evenings, Oxford Stone Junior is often up for a quick drive out, 2 or 3 miles, to pick up a cache or two. there was a day when I got the FTF on the way to work, a few at lunch and some more in the evening!

Sales conferences / visits have given me the chance to cache, in the evenings / between meetings, in Vegas, Paris, Grenoble and Nice.

So a lot of caching done other than at weekends / on holiday!

My record stetch was 74. Day 75, went to a theme park and stored a cache that was new county, furthest north. A multi but looked simple enough. got to GZ (90 minutes from home after a long day on the rides) and the heavens opened. Said to my wife "that's God's way of telling me to take a break and get us home!" - the relief was immense, really. Had one other day off that month (son's birthday) and still did 151 caches, 50% better than previous best.

Agree with other people, once the map starts filling up (and for me getting past 500), it's time to get a bit more choosy. I want to fill in my last two gaps on the D/T grid up to 3, and have picked out a few high Ts to do with friends if only for safety's sake. Yesterday we did 7 in a short walk after a pub lunch but whether there were 3 or 7 wasn't really the object.

Anyone else doing lunchtime / commute caching? Any sales reps who are grabbing quick caches between appointments?

I cache fairly regularly, including at lunchtimes and with the longer days after work on the way home. My stats over the past 3 years show I cache about 160 days a year (~43% of days). But I don't do long streaks (my longest is 15 days). My caching depends on many factors; how busy I am, the weather, etc.

I had resisted it, but now I'm trying to fill in days on my caching calendar (due to some local challenges).

we cache every weekend whether it is 1 or 20 in the nice weather time of year in the colder snowy months we wait for a nice day to get out a 4 year old and cold or deep snow doesn't go well together but we started in jan of this year we are still new at this but getting better

Now that it's staying light out later I often go for a hike after work to go caching 2-3 times during the week, and at least once on the weekends.

Currently working on a challenge to get both my D and T average above 2, so while I have plenty of unfound caches in the city around me and I could probably cache every day, for now they're being bypassed for caches with higher D/T ratings. It's pretty nice - I'm exploring more parks and open spaces around me, and it certainly has cut down on the number of micros I find now! B)

I try to go out at least one weekend a month for a full day (or at least a few hours). Since the cache density is very low here I don't usually get to do any casual one or two here and there kind of caching....I've cleared everything in about a 20 mile radius of my home location so any caching I do is normally going to involve some sort of road trip.

If I have occasion to go to Baton Rouge or New Orleans (both about an hour from here) for some other reason, or anywhere else for that matter, I'll make sure to scout out any "targets of opportunity" I might be able to grab along the way.

I also work every other weekend so that halves the opportunities (at least if the family wants to tag along)

I notice that this question was originally asked in 2010 by someone who hasn't logged on since 2012, so I am writing my response with the view that it may be helpful to other readers beyond the original person asking the question.

Depending on where you live, you may or may not be fortunate to live in an area with many geocaches nearby. THe person asking this question originally had about 34 geocaches found and seemed to have exhausted her local area. That would absolutely not be the case in my area: I am fortunate to live in the San Francisco Bay Area, a part of the country saturated with geocaches. There are literally hundreds of geocaches within a few miles of my home. I just finished up a wonderful series of geocaches where someone planted 70+ geocaches along one driving route about 7 miles from where I live, one every 0.1 mile.

HOw often do I go geocaching? It depends. When I first started geocaching, I became more interested in letterboxing, and did that almost exclusively for the first 2 years, going out usually at least once a month on weekends, sometimes every weekend. I enjoyed the fact that letterboxing involves creativity in the stamp carving. Eventually though I got tired of the lame hides and high frequency of missing letterboxes that plagues letterboxing, and began doing more geocaching. Many letterboxers think it's fine if their letterbox goes missing within a couple months after being planted, and rather than replace it, they just shrug their shoulders and naively express dismay that anyone would be so rude as to pinch such a treasure. In geocaching, the hides are much better, and there is far better maintenance -- the maintenance actually often done by finders rather than cache owners who may be out of commission.

RIght now I'm geocaching (with some letterboxing too) most every weekend, but my interest in geocaching is directly connected with hiking, and I am less interested in the drive-by or urban geocaches that don't involve hiking and being in beautiful natural surroundings. THere are still thousands of geocaches for me to find within a drive of 20-30 miles of my home, and in the unlikely instance that I exhaust those, I can revert to mostly planting more caches, something I find to often be more fun than finding.

According to my latest GSAK stats, I cached 70 days in 2012 (about every 5 days). That included a 14-day streak of at least one cache a day. I've gone 20 days so far in 2013.

Hehe me too but no hurry - target to finish with a cache on 29 Feb 2016.

I got my Feb. 29 find last year, but it will probably still be 2016 before I fill the calender.

I'm in the 2 to 3 times a week camp. I live in Atlanta not far from downtown, so there's a lot in my area...though I've found most of them within several miles of my home. I work north of town in a busy almost-suburban area with quite a few caches and, again, have found most of those. I generally go hunting on my lunch hour, but pretty soon I'll have gone through most of those close enough to find without driving too far from the office.

I find planning to be tough because once I get to an area I often find it either too 'woodsy' to be tramping around in my work clothes or a tough one to go for on a weekday lunch hour because of the high volume of muggles.

If I ever find I have 30 or more minutes free when I'm out and about on errands or driving to or from a meeting for work, I'll try to make short side trips to find caches in the area.

I don't make caching a high priority, but I enjoy doing it when I actually do have some free time. For me it's a solitary activity that I can do on the spur of the moment. It's something I can do without having to coordinate schedules with someone else, it takes me to previously unknown or unexplored corners of my hometown and it gets me out of my incredibly depressing cubicle and away from the TV at home where I would likely be if I had time to myself and nothing else to do. I somehow doubt I'll ever hit the 1000 mark...at least for many years to come. But I do like to see my number steadily grow. It's sort of a reminder to me of how many places I have gone where I otherwise never would have looked at twice. Even those silly and unremarkable light pole caches have some value to me, no matter how many people look down their noses at them. For me, even those are a symbol of me finally having a "hobby" and an activity that gets me off my lazy butt.

I am at the front end of a 51 day streak. Which reminds me I have to log last nights find. I work swing shift at Denver International Airport. And I live east of the airport, the plains are riddled with micros. I have come to the realization that my commute will get longer and longer. As that is when I cache, usually on the way home.

A lot of it is going to depend on where you live and how much you commute. Folks who have long commutes will easily find caches all the time without going far. Folks who live near high cache density cities might often see new caches. I try to get all the new caches near home but as far as going beyond that, depends on how much gas money I have, or how much free time. Varies a lot. I might go 2 weeks without a new cache find or I might get one every day of the week. Really varies.

Going to try and get a lot of state parks starting this weekend, with my 4 year old.

I started caching 119 days ago, and have a 119 day streak. I was laid off of work, but fortunatley am still being paid. I go back to work at the end of this month. Caching kept me sane! I go for either a hike or a urban run every morning. In my area (Chattanooga, Tn) there are literally thousands of caches within 75 miles. I know that when I return to work my cache numbers will slow down (6.5 per day right now), but I plan to shoot for a 200 day streak. After "the streak" ends, I hope to cache several days a week, even if just for one cache a day. I must say, however, that the kids are grown and gone, so I have more discretionary time than folks with kids.

I work outside with kids pretty much every day all year long, so getting outside on my free time isn't really a priority. :) But obviously I do like to be outdoors; I use caching as a way to find new places to explore. I'm not after caches every day, but I will pick a park or preserve specifically because it looks like it has fun caches in it and spend a day or evening hiking and caching.

I'm actually really sad that I found pretty much all of the caches within biking distance...it was a good reason to get out for a couple of hours. I even cross country skied to a few caches over the winter when we had a huge storm and the streets were buried. So for me, once a week or every other weekend, with a few evenings if I'm somewhere I can grab a couple while shopping.

And yeah, the post is old, but the replies are fun to read!