I need some etrex advice Please!

I have a Garmin etrex Legend that a friend gave me. All he had was the unit itself, no cables or anything. My question is this, is it worth my trouble to buy a cable and serial to usb adapter for this thing. I want to be able to send cache info to my gps, but I am unsure as to how hard it will be to install drivers and such to my Win 7 pc since this unit is so old. Any and all advice is much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Troy

I have a Garmin etrex Legend that a friend gave me. All he had was the unit itself, no cables or anything. My question is this, is it worth my trouble to buy a cable and serial to usb adapter for this thing. I want to be able to send cache info to my gps, but I am unsure as to how hard it will be to install drivers and such to my Win 7 pc since this unit is so old. Any and all advice is much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Troy

The cable is definitely worth it! Punching in coordinates by hand using the thumb stick will get old, and quick. The good news is you don't need to go through Garmin to buy the cable as they are going to charge top dollar for it. Ebay has all sorts of knock off cables for cheap. Here is one for you:

Etrex Legend Cable - $10.98

On the software side, all you will need is either EasyGPS or GSAK to transfer caches to the unit. Both are free and EasyGPS is easy to use. I believe another free program, GPSBabel also allows you to transfer custom waypoints to the unit.

Another reason why you want a cable is to download and install the latest firmware for your etrex (it is free as well).

PS. serial-usb converter - $1.26.

All together you're looking at less than $20. It is still worth it in my opinion.

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

If it has a usb socket, you can probably use this? ---> http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=591

And if you have a mini-usb cable lying around, it'll probably fit. My camera cable does.

I'm not responsible if these ideas break everything. I'd enjoy hearing about it, though.

Thanks,

Troy

The cable is definitely worth it! Punching in coordinates by hand using the thumb stick will get old, and quick. The good news is you don't need to go through Garmin to buy the cable as they are going to charge top dollar for it. Ebay has all sorts of knock off cables for cheap. Here is one for you:

Etrex Legend Cable - $10.98

On the software side, all you will need is either EasyGPS or GSAK to transfer caches to the unit. Both are free and EasyGPS is easy to use. I believe another free program, GPSBabel also allows you to transfer custom waypoints to the unit.

Another reason why you want a cable is to download and install the latest firmware for your etrex (it is free as well).

PS. serial-usb converter - $1.26.

All together you're looking at less than $20. It is still worth it in my opinion.

I thank you so much! You have answered all my questions! :)

If it has a usb socket, you can probably use this? ---> http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=591

And if you have a mini-usb cable lying around, it'll probably fit. My camera cable does.

I'm not responsible if these ideas break everything. I'd enjoy hearing about it, though.

This is the original Legend and it doesn't have a usb port. I appreciate your help though! :)