Geocaching for Android

JustMike

There's a top-level forum 'Geocaching for iPhone' yet nothing for Android. Given the popularity of the device wouldn't it make sense to have an Android group?

I would imagine that will happen AFTER they release an app for the Android based devices....

There's a top-level forum 'Geocaching for iPhone' yet nothing for Android. Given the popularity of the device wouldn't it make sense to have an Android group?

I would imagine that will happen AFTER they release an app for the Android based devices....

There's a hamster caching forum and I've not noticed Groundspeak selling hamsters.

The app is in beta testing, and is nearing a state where it can be released to the public.

Once the app IS released, I suspect we will get our own forum to complain about how it doesn't do what we expected.

Patience, Grasshopper....

I'm a beta testier for the Groundspeak app and am aware of the current testing/development status.

I'm not looking for a forum in which we can discuss a single app, Rather, I'm proposing a forum in which geocaching with Android devices can be discussed. There's a forum for ham radio with geocaching.... how many ham radio operators are there compared to Android users?

I'm not looking for a forum in which we can discuss a single app, Rather, I'm proposing a forum in which geocaching with Android devices can be discussed. There's a forum for ham radio with geocaching.... how many ham radio operators are there compared to Android users?

But the iphone section is just that. The description of the section says

Discuss Groundspeak’s official geocaching application for the iPhone. Visit geocaching.com/iphone for more information.

There may some topics that are not related to iPhone app (I see one about battery life and one about GoWalla). I suspect the moderators haven't being doing their job. Obviously some discussion on how to use the iphone for Geocaching may go beyond just the Groundspeak app, but talking about battery life and other geolocation games seems to be off-topic for that forum.

My understanding is that there is already a forum for discussing using smartphones, PDAs, GPSrs, and other technology. It the GPS and Technology section.

The Ham Radio section is an historic anomaly. I think Among early GPS adopters many were also amateur radio operators and they were looking for a way to combine their hobbies. At the time, Groundspeak probably thought it was a good idea to give them their own section to adopt this. Still they didn't get a section for every kind of rig or even for every transmission band they might uses. I might see a geocaching with cell phone section spun off from GPS and Technology but not separate sections for iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Java ME, etc., etc.

One problem with the GPS and Technology section is that it is sometimes used to discuss third party geocaching applicatons. Groundspeak has taken the stance that they are not providing forums for third party apps and have started to close down threads that ask for help on specific apps. Some apps which Groundspeak views as violating their TOUs have discussion of them close to banned outright. On the other hand they allow discussion on using the hardware which they could easily say should be handled by the hardware manufactures forums (or to a forum dedicated to the hardware). I suppose when it started, there was no place to talk about using a particular device for geocaching and this was purpose of the forums. I've found it useful to have all the information in one forum to be able to compare different devices, different software, and different solutions in order to make choices. But Groundspeak seems to want to ban some discussion and to separate Groundspeak solutions from everything else.

I'm a beta testier for the Groundspeak app and am aware of the current testing/development status.

I hope all you beta testers do a good job finding all the bugs before the app is released. I should have my Incredible in a couple weeks and since it's my first smartphone, I'm sure I'll have my hands full enough figuring it out without having a lot of problems with the Groundspeak app.

Edited by Pax42