Logging Finds and Did Not Find

randco

I reviewed the FAQ's but didn't find an answer to my thoughts.

Let's say I logged a DNF for a cache a month ago and today I revisited the cache site and located the cache.

Do I Edit the original log or do I create a New log for the find?

I am inclined to believe that I should leave my original DNF and log the Find with the correct date.

All part of your history and the history of the cache. Both log types are valuable information to both cache owners and future seekers. When I see a cache has had a few DNFs over the years - I know that I might need to spend a bit more time with it.

Dang it. I had that, and did it the other way. Just another tadpole who thinks she knows everything.

Do I go back and edit my edit....?

All part of your history and the history of the cache. Both log types are valuable information to both cache owners and future seekers. When I see a cache has had a few DNFs over the years - I know that I might need to spend a bit more time with it.

Dang it. I had that, and did it the other way. Just another tadpole who thinks she knows everything.

Do I go back and edit my edit....?

You can. I wouldn't sweat it though.

I'm never ashamed of my DNF's! Most times there is a pretty good story to go with the dnf, and I enjoy reading them. If everyone found the cache every single time, then the hides must be pretty obvious! If I don't find it once I make it my mission to return asap to get it!

I had the same question, glad I found the answer. I don't mean to hijack this thread but what exactly constitutes a DNF? For example, there is a LPC that has too many muggles hanging around so I move on. Is that a DNF even thought I didn't actually look for it?

I had the same question, glad I found the answer. I don't mean to hijack this thread but what exactly constitutes a DNF? For example, there is a LPC that has too many muggles hanging around so I move on. Is that a DNF even thought I didn't actually look for it?

That's personal opinion, I would say log a note, the majority of geocachers that answered when I posted that topic said that their opinion was something along the lines of "If you typed the coordinates into your GPS (or opened the gpx file on your GPS) then it's a DNF" I find this too much because to me a DNF means it's either hard or not there.

Now that one depends on your point of view. Some feel being muggled out IS a DNF, others feel it is not. I guess it is your choice.

If you do log a DNF, it is a good idea to explain why. That way it will indicate only a muggle problem, not a possible missing cache.

you just opened a can of worms :):(

...what exactly constitutes a DNF? For example, there is a LPC that has too many muggles hanging around so I move on. Is that a DNF even thought I didn't actually look for it?

What constitutes a DNF is something that each cacher decides for themselves. Because many cachers, for some reason, feel there is something wrong with logging a DNF, they like to come up with various reasons to justify not logging one.

To us, a DNF is logged when we fail to locate a cache container after making a reasonable effort. No, not simply an effort to find the cache location, but the cache itself. In one instance my dad wanted to triangulate what part of/how far into a park a cache was. (I don't know why we didn't just go in and look for it, but I'm not in charge of this operation.) We drove around the perimeter of the park, stopping every once in a while to check the GPS to see which way the arrow was pointing and how far away the cache was. Since we were only trying to find what part of the park the cache was in (the cache's location) and never started looking for the cache itself, this was not a DNF.

If we arrive at the cache location but abort the search for the cache due to the heavy presence of Muggles, this would not constitute a DNF since we did not "actually look for it."

A cacher once logged a DNF on an event cache because they were involved in a motor vehicle accident while en route to it. They never arrived at the cache location, but I suppose they thought it would be interesting to log a DNF on an event cache.

For example, there is a LPC that has too many muggles hanging around so I move on. Is that a DNF even thought I didn't actually look for it?

About this can of worms: :)

Whatever you decide, please leave some kind of log, particularly about excess muggles, but also mention any other reason (in as diplomatic a way as possible) why you couldn't search or didn't find it (coordinates seem way off, etc.). It's useful information to some of the rest of us, before we head out to search.

Edited by kunarion
I don't mean to hijack this thread but what exactly constitutes a DNF? For example, there is a LPC that has too many muggles hanging around so I move on. Is that a DNF even thought I didn't actually look for it?
Personally, I'd log a DNS (Did Not Search) as a Note. Some would log a DNF. Others wouldn't log anything. (And some would just click the "ignore listing" link.)

"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." - Andrew S. Tanenbaum