Mega 2012!*

I'm not that shocked that after a couple of years of successful Megas that this situation has come up. For the record, until these threads appeared recently, i'd not heard of either!

I was a little surprised (and maybe slightly disappointed) when I discovered that the 2011 Mega was not that far from the 2009 edition. I'd hoped they would take me to all corners of the country.

Now we have a situation where people are playing bagsy as far ahead as they feasibly can. Geowoodstock have a committe who vote on the next location. Maybe this is an idea with the 'UK MEGA' events?

No person within the community has the right to stop someone else holding a Mega event in the same year, even on the same day. Yes it's a risk and inevitable that some will choose one over the other, probably based on proximity, but there is likely to be an equal number of people not wanting to travel to the distant one and would appreciate a choice.

It seems logical to me that with the Olympics coming to London in two years that we make something of it and host a big event. Will it be Mega, only numbers will tell however there is nothing and no one that should prevent someone hosting such an event. Likewise, the UK Mega Event (NW) should continue as planned.

Lets get on and have 2 Megas to look forward to in what should be a good year for the country!

In terms of the UK Mega label. It sounds to me like the NW is running with this and the Olympic event would be a one off celebration of our hosting of the event. Therefore I can't see that it would need the 'UK MEGA' brand/label.

So far i've attended all UK Megas and hope to continue that. However, I can't say now whether i'd attend either, let alone both. Time will tell.

well said.

Regarding the names, maybe a compromise is that there isn't an "official UK" Mega in 2012, but instead a Northern Mega and a Southern Mega - with both organisers agreeing not to call themselves UK? Just some early morning thinking!

I'd have thought there'd be more mileage in organising the worlds first Geolympics, to be held every 4 years in the host country, to coincide with the "other" two Olympics - the international appeal would be far bigger....

Edited to add - not forgetting the potential to bring in a Winter Geolympics every other year too.... :drama:

hmm - not up to me, obviously, but I wonder if there is any mileage in approaching GS for a new official event type, based on Geolympics. They're obviously happy to have specific use icons, otherwise we wouldn't have had any ten year events. Think of the attendee numbers if there is only one possible chance of getting the icon every 4 years! (SP might want to start looking a different venues!)

I am liking this idea very much. I've been using the term Geolympix to make it clear it's not part of the official Olympics and had imagined there would be similar events in future years- coming up with an official take on it would, as the last poster suggested, make it something even more special. Can I make an official request to the reviewers to take this idea to the reviewers-only forum and see if there's any interest in the concept of a 4-yearly 'Mega-Mega' to be held close in time and area to the Olympics (with the option of looking at a Winter version in future).

A new icon for collectors -and who doesn't want to be at the first of a new breed of event?- would be a big draw for European cachers, and beyond. It's a shame Much Wenlock is so far from London (and getting up towards the NW Mega's patch) otherwise that could have been an option... Anyway, thank you purple_pineapple and keehotee; you may have solved the 'two Megas in a year' issue :drama:

I am liking this idea very much. I've been using the term Geolympix to make it clear it's not part of the official Olympics and had imagined there would be similar events in future years- coming up with an official take on it would, as the last poster suggested, make it something even more special. Can I make an official request to the reviewers to take this idea to the reviewers-only forum and see if there's any interest in the concept of a 4-yearly 'Mega-Mega' to be held close in time and area to the Olympics (with the option of looking at a Winter version in future).

A new icon for collectors -and who doesn't want to be at the first of a new breed of event?- would be a big draw for European cachers, and beyond. It's a shame Much Wenlock is so far from London (and getting up towards the NW Mega's patch) otherwise that could have been an option... Anyway, thank you purple_pineapple and keehotee; you may have solved the 'two Megas in a year' issue :drama:

Er Mandeville?

That's on your doorstep too!

Right, I've been avoiding this but the ealier nastiness made me go away and think this subject over.

Here are my views/observations.

1. The UK is a big enough place for as many mega events as you like. However, to guarantee the best turnout and therefore return on investment, the best time for this is during the summer holidays.

2. Yes, an olympic themed event/location for 2012 is a fantastic idea but after reading through the many posts in various threads I've discovered this has only been an outline of an idea until the North West comittee started confirming details.

3. I firmly believe that the Northwest guys should carry on and have the 5th UK Mega Event and get the auto Mega status for the mountain of work/fundraising they have done already.

4. SP should go ahead with his Geolympics Event and confer with Groundspeak over Mega status.

5. I know I personally can only afford to go to one mega a year unless one of them is on my doorstep but there are people out the that live to go all over the country for events.

6. Mega events are meant to be something special and all this fuss is taking the fun out of it.

These are my own personal views/observations. I have no affiliation to the NW cachers or SP.

6. Mega events are meant to be something special and all this fuss is taking the fun out of it.

This is a forum for discussions about geocaching in the UK. Discussing a proposed UK Mega event seems to be relevant to the forum, so I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed. Obviously it's going to look like a lot of "fuss" at this stage, and by the nature of such things the planning and organising isn't going to be all "fun". I would expect arguments over venues, rival events and so on. Goodness knows what fun was had organising the Harrogate event and how much fuss was encountered!

But if you don't want to help with planning and organising I'm sure that then the organisers will be more than happy for you to sit back and wait for the event to appear, then welcome you to a fun and special day out!

This is a forum for discussions about geocaching in the UK. Discussing a proposed UK Mega event seems to be relevant to the forum, so I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed. Obviously it's going to look like a lot of "fuss" at this stage, and by the nature of such things the planning and organising isn't going to be all "fun". I would expect arguments over venues, rival events and so on. Goodness knows what fun was had organising the Harrogate event and how much fuss was encountered!

Please tell me where I said we shouldn't be discussing it. The fuss I'm referring to is the backbiting that has happened in a small part of this topic and in others.

But if you don't want to help with planning and organising I'm sure that then the organisers will be more than happy for you to sit back and wait for the event to appear, then welcome you to a fun and special day out!

I have to wonder what you mean by this. It comes across as a bit of a dig. Almost as if you're saying that I have no right to comment on the 'fuss' because I haven't been part of a Mega comittee. I could be completely wrong about this and I hope I am.

Yes, I accept that organising such an event is not going to be smooth but there is absolutely no need for all the posturing that has occured between the NW comittee and SP and the others who have chosen a side (why anyone feels the need to choose a side in this situation is beyond me). We are all adults here (except those that are children) so let's just get on with this wonderful hobby of ours and keep the events (Mega or otherwise) coming.

I have to wonder what you mean by this. It comes across as a bit of a dig. Almost as if you're saying that I have no right to comment on the 'fuss' because I haven't been part of a Mega comittee. I could be completely wrong about this and I hope I am.

Yes, you're completely wrong, but as usual with forum posts it's hard to put across the meaning without being misinterpreted. So it wasn't a dig, merely a suggestion that if this discussion is going to take the fun out of attending the event then you may as well ignore the debate and just turn up on the day. :blink: No more than that.

Yes, you're completely wrong, but as usual with forum posts it's hard to put across the meaning without being misinterpreted. So it wasn't a dig, merely a suggestion that if this discussion is going to take the fun out of attending the event then you may as well ignore the debate and just turn up on the day. :blink: No more than that.

No prob. Glad we cleared that up.