Mega 2012!*

please all post/moan/fight/whatever here so I only have one topic to ignore till you all sort it out like human beings do. I am serious, please use this thread till you lot come to a conclusion, or take it to PM and post afterwards, cheers!!

*non biased post but annoyed with the 'spam'*

personally as a family and holiday time limited I suspect we could only manage one a year in the summer holidays.

Ditto.

It would be a real shame if the dates are too close - but even if they're far enough apart to matter, I doubt even a Mega would get me anywhere near London during the Olympics. It's somewhere I avoid whenever possible during a normal year - let alone 2012....

To clarify, I'm looking at venues outside the M25, but within 60miles/100km/1 hour of London. If we assume the M25 is 25m in radius, that still gives me 9,346 square miles of countryside (and a bit of sea) to play with, stretching out as far as Milton Keynes (not high on my desire list), Oxford (It's pretty in the summer), Winchester, all of the south coast from Portsmouth... My point is, it'll be convenient for London, but not 'so convenient' as to be a travel nightmare/security risk/opportunist price-hike zone.

Also, the date is before the Olympics actually start, so pressure on accommodation will not have peaked. Venues haven't suggested silly prices yet, so I have high hopes the event can be brought in at a reasonable budget.

Having lived in Winchester and Oxford (Abingdon) I think they would be wonderful places for a Mega to be held, and I for one would seriously consider about attending if it was held in either of the two locations.

However, I have to say that given the fact that you haven't even narrowed down a location let alone a venue and the North West have got their search down to two final venues, I think you may be being a bit unreasonable to expect them to change their date. Having been fully involved with the arrangement for the venue for Mega Scotland I know it is not an easy task and to have it down to two venues means that both venues are waiting for the go ahead with a date already arranged.

I would say that the NW are at a very committed stage, and I know that one of the worries that I was concerned about at the start of the organisation of Mega Scotland was that someone would come along and want to try and organise their own mega at the same time. The NW are doing what we done, and that was stated their intention, stated that they have venues narrowed down, but don't wish to state much more until the other mega's have been held, that way everyone knows their intentions but they are not raining on the parade of those that are still to go. This is no different to what Wales are doing just now, everyone knows their intentions but they are staying low key until after Scotland.

If we have two Mega's in close proximity (date wise) to each other, then both are going to suffer numbers wise. Not only will that be demoralising for the organisers, but it may also jeopardise the instant Mega status that the first two events worked extremely hard to obtain and the other events are working hard to keep.

Having lived in Winchester and Oxford (Abingdon) I think they would be wonderful places for a Mega to be held, and I for one would seriously consider about attending if it was held in either of the two locations.

However, I have to say that given the fact that you haven't even narrowed down a location let alone a venue and the North West have got their search down to two final venues, I think you may be being a bit unreasonable to expect them to change their date. Having been fully involved with the arrangement for the venue for Mega Scotland I know it is not an easy task and to have it down to two venues means that both venues are waiting for the go ahead with a date already arranged.

I would say that the NW are at a very committed stage, and I know that one of the worries that I was concerned about at the start of the organisation of Mega Scotland was that someone would come along and want to try and organise their own mega at the same time. The NW are doing what we done, and that was stated their intention, stated that they have venues narrowed down, but don't wish to state much more until the other mega's have been held, that way everyone knows their intentions but they are not raining on the parade of those that are still to go. This is no different to what Wales are doing just now, everyone knows their intentions but they are staying low key until after Scotland.

If we have two Mega's in close proximity (date wise) to each other, then both are going to suffer numbers wise. Not only will that be demoralising for the organisers, but it may also jeopardise the instant Mega status that the first two events worked extremely hard to obtain and the other events are working hard to keep.

As usual, pretty much agree with Dave's sentiments. However, in defence of a 2012 SE Mega, SP proposed this back in August 2009, precisely 3 years before the likely event. At this stage, AFAIK, there was no hint that another Mega was on the cards and, to my mind, SPs post was essentially a 'provisional booking'. (Obviously, nothing is formal, and I'm not gettin in to the issue of having two events!) Dave - when planning started for the Perth one, there were no other areas 'in the running' and if anyone had come in late to organise something, I'd say that was somewhat bad manners! If we're getting to the stage that formal announcements need to be made more than 3 years ahead of the proposed dates, then I can't see anyone bothering to organise it after 2012. :rolleyes:

I'm a little surprised and insulted that people have said they wouldn't come to the SE (and lets make this clear, its a SE mega, NOT a London Mega) for any reason - we have a wealth of caches, beautiful countryside, and I didn't hear anyone saying similar things about previous Megas, neither of which were in locations that would be top of my holiday list! But we went, and had a great time!

Three Megas, if we take PuP's announcement without a pinch of salt.

I think I can speak for the committee when I say we won't be pressured into a rushed decision on venue which may be regretted at leisure simply because someone might regard that as 'validating' a Mega event 26 months early, somehow. We have a firm date. That's got to count for something.

I would say that Wales, Scotland and to a lesser degree WSM have all been lucky that they've had a 'clear run' - at least to this point. The SE2012 event has been less lucky. That's not our fault; a public announcement was made and acknowledged but ignored. What can we do?

Just want to point out that there is no reason that I can see that having an event in the SE would be any more expensive that the NW ... this whole idea of price hikes is just that at the moment, an idea.

As far as I understand it, there will be some Olympic events in the NW - so if the same applies, don't go there either! :)

I'd just ask people to put their prejudices aside, the event Paul is proposing is not in London, he said a few times within an hour of London, those of us from southern England know within an hour of London is rather a large area!

The commuter routes in these parts are well established. :cry:

Just want to point out that there is no reason that I can see that having an event in the SE would be any more expensive that the NW ... this whole idea of price hikes is just that at the moment, an idea.

As far as I understand it, there will be some Olympic events in the NW - so if the same applies, don't go there either! :)

I'd just ask people to put their prejudices aside, the event Paul is proposing is not in London, he said a few times within an hour of London, those of us from southern England know within an hour of London is rather a large area!

The commuter routes in these parts are well established. :cry:

hear hear! :P

For what it's worth, I'm in favour of any Mega Event that I can get to without having to buy two or three tank-fulls of (very expensive) diesel. One in the south east in 2012 will certainly get my vote. Harrogate, Weston, Perth, somewhere in Wales and the 'North West' have all been (will be) a long way from home.

For what it's worth, I'm in favour of any Mega Event that I can get to without having to buy two or three tank-fulls of (very expensive) diesel. One in the south east in 2012 will certainly get my vote. Harrogate, Weston, Perth, somewhere in Wales and the 'North West' have all been (will be) a long way from home.

Similar comment here but the North West is our prefered option, London is 180 ish miles so its doubtful we would go that far.

I was completely unaware that there was a mega planned for the SE/London (all the same to the rest of the country, much as the rest of the country seems to be all the same to londoners).

I was fully aware of the NW plan, contributing as I did to a NW fundraising calendar and having just done an outline caching walk round Kendal.

I can't see how the two are mutually exclusive, even if they are a week or two apart.

However, the prospect of going to the SE just before/after the olympics would be one that fills me with dread. There'll be nowehere to stay as the spaces (within the M25 and beyond, basically everything within 1 hour travel) will be taken up with entourages from all over the world, and those places that ARE free will hike their (already extortionate) prices - It's not an idea, its a fact of life, Just like places in Edinburgh hike prices during the Festival - it's called the law of supply & demand.

I think the 2 would appeal to different markets - the SE one will probably get a lot of international attendees who're over for the Olympics, plus a lot of SE/S cachers. In that respect it makes some sense.

The NW will probably be attended by those from the Midlands, North, Scotland & Wales and those in the SE who've rented their houses out for the duration. :)

However, in defence of a 2012 SE Mega, SP proposed this back in August 2009, precisely 3 years before the likely event. At this stage, AFAIK, there was no hint that another Mega was on the cards and, to my mind, SPs post was essentially a 'provisional booking'. (Obviously, nothing is formal, and I'm not gettin in to the issue of having two events!)

I feel as though I am running the risk of being dragged into the who should have the mega during the summer of 2012 debate, but I don't really want to. With that said I have found the thread where SP has started to throw ideas out about possible locations of a SE mega. The thread in my opinion was very much just throwing the idea out there and muttoneer posted this before SP started airing his ideas. Now I know the posts were both made on the same day, but it was mentioned that talks had already began. So given the fact that both sides have possibly missed the fact that both sides are making arrangements and that the NW appear to have the venue nearly booked, and the SE haven't, I would have thought that a SE event earlier in the year such as Easter would be an amicable solution?

I can't help having the feeling that both sides have been organising their events not knowing that the other has started to organise theirs?

...I would have thought that a SE event earlier in the year such as Easter would be an amicable solution?
I'd like this to be the last time I have to type this, so I'm going to use caps to make the point a bit clearer: IT HAS TO BE CLOSE TO THE DATE OF THE OLYMPICS IN ORDER TO BE REASONABLY ACCESSIBLE TO INTERNATIONAL VISITORS WHO'LL ONLY BE HERE FOR THE GAMES, and not, say, Easter. If someone can spot a hole in this logic, please point it out. We're not blind to sensible ideas and constructive feedback. Thanks :)

Door step Megas every time :) NW easy for us SE less so but please.... on a different day :):cry::P and not during Scout camp... LOL like the last three.

...I would have thought that a SE event earlier in the year such as Easter would be an amicable solution?
I'd like this to be the last time I have to type this, so I'm going to use caps to make the point a bit clearer: IT HAS TO BE CLOSE TO THE DATE OF THE OLYMPICS IN ORDER TO BE REASONABLY ACCESSIBLE TO INTERNATIONAL VISITORS WHO'LL ONLY BE HERE FOR THE GAMES, and not, say, Easter. If someone can spot a hole in this logic, please point it out. We're not blind to sensible ideas and constructive feedback. Thanks :P

OH! EXCUSE ME FOR POSTING AN IDEA THAT DOESN'T MEET WITH YOUR AGENDA!! :) Obviously wasn't constructively sensible enough for your one track agenda?? I think I shall leave it at that for I have been dragged into the slagging part of the debate, which I didn't want to happen. :cry:

P.S. Next time you quote me, please quote the entire sentence, and not just the second half which when read without the first half can be taken in the wrong context. Thanks :)

No need to shout dear. I've seen a lot of ideas which don't 'meet with my agenda' but having explained why shifting an Olympics-related event to Easter, Christmas or 2013 wouldn't be sensible several times I felt I had to resort to something extreme. Capitals. I'm sorry if it made your eyes burn or ears bleed but at least you read it :)

Thanks for trying to be constructive, as you assure me you were, and not trying to render the whole concept and reason to have a SE Event at the end of July 2012 irrelevant, which is how I read your suggestion. Can you see my point?

I've made a note about your quoting preferences for future reference. I was sure to make it clear it was part of a longer comment by adding a ... at the start and didn't think I'd taken it out of context at all. To put your mind at rest, here's the whole (quite long) sentence for anyone unwilling to look back:

So given the fact that both sides have possibly missed the fact that both sides are making arrangements and that the NW appear to have the venue nearly booked, and the SE haven't, I would have thought that a SE event earlier in the year such as Easter would be an amicable solution?
My response remains the same.

I'd like to put the record straight. The Groudspeak national forum was used to ask the question would it be a good idea. That is we asked the question. Thought provoking I knew at the time. The reason I asked the question was in order to discover if it was worth us organising.

We got mixed reviews but positive vibes too. Jumping into the mix we were then told that NW were talking. Fair enough. But why not discuss it more pubically when others try to do the same?

...having explained why shifting an Olympics-related event...

No matter what your 'explanations' are, wishing to hold an event in the SE around the time of the Olympics, does not make a geocaching event anything whatsoever related to the Olympics.

Aimed at piggy-backing off of the Olympics it may be but that is all.

You can also add me to the list of the many who will be staying away from London and the SE for a month either side of and during the Olympics. Unless there are critical reasons I have to be there.

Given that these megas are two whole years away, will each attract totally different sorts of people and that caching as a hobby is growing exponentially, why do we have to argue over which mega to go to? Both are going to get plenty of support and are capable of being big successful events.

And even if they are close together in date – does it really, honestly make that much difference? There are plenty of number hunters out there who will want to get two mega icons and go from one event to the other. This is an opportunity - two megas icons in a month - c'mon! Lots of people are gonna want a slice of that!!! There's a positive to this isn't there?

So I'll repeat what I've already said on another thread - you have to work together and not compete if you want this to work.

So can we all now quit bitching about it on public forums and just get on with organising them both please? :ph34r:

The more this goes on, the more petty and immature some mega organisers on here are sounding - it's seriously doing you no favours guys............ :rolleyes:

edited:typos

Edited by *mouse*
I'd like this to be the last time I have to type this, so I'm going to use caps to make the point a bit clearer: IT HAS TO BE CLOSE TO THE DATE OF THE OLYMPICS IN ORDER TO BE REASONABLY ACCESSIBLE TO INTERNATIONAL VISITORS WHO'LL ONLY BE HERE FOR THE GAMES, and not, say, Easter. If someone can spot a hole in this logic, please point it out. We're not blind to sensible ideas and constructive feedback. Thanks :ph34r:

Have I missed something here, is Geocaching now an Olympic sport? :rolleyes:

Given that these megas are two whole years away, will each attract totally different sorts of people and that caching as a hobby is growing exponentially,

You know this because?

And even if they are close together in date – does it really, honestly make that much difference?

It'll make a huge difference to the success of them. Ultimately, it's the organisers who are going to be out of pocket if they don't cover their costs. That is a bloody good reason why they need to be well spaced. And you know what? The one that need to have a serious rethink on date is the one that hasn't even got a sniff of an idea where it'll be held, not the one that has just to make a final choice between two venues.

two megas icons in a month - c'mon! Lots of people are gonna want a slice of that!!!

You know this because?

The more this goes on, the more petty and immature some mega organisers on here are sounding - it's seriously doing you no favours guys............ :rolleyes:

ISTM, that it is one organiser, rather than some.

I'd like this to be the last time I have to type this, so I'm going to use caps to make the point a bit clearer: IT HAS TO BE CLOSE TO THE DATE OF THE OLYMPICS IN ORDER TO BE REASONABLY ACCESSIBLE TO INTERNATIONAL VISITORS WHO'LL ONLY BE HERE FOR THE GAMES, and not, say, Easter. If someone can spot a hole in this logic, please point it out. We're not blind to sensible ideas and constructive feedback. Thanks :P

It would be great if it was, just imagine the events you could have! Power Trail Time Trials, 35mm film can scavenge hunts, extreme multis on top of mountain time trials, The Skeg to Ness Indy 500 race.

Of course if it was an olympic sport you would need somewhere with some countryside, which kind of rules London out. :ph34r:

I agree with Mouse

I wont be going to the northern mega cos its too far away, I would however go to a southern mega. I suspect I am not the only one. It also works the other way round as i.e. notherners not coming down south. I also suspect that there are people who will go to both even if they are on the same weekend (There are some nutters around afterall). Similarily if they are not on the same weekend you will definetly get people attending both.

This bickering is getting stupid though so I think you have two options

1) Hold 2 Megas

2) Get Groundspeak to adjudicate

Either way it needs to be settled so that both parties can get on with organsation etc.

This is afterall supposed to be fun...isn't it?

No need to shout dear. I've seen a lot of ideas which don't 'meet with my agenda' but having explained why shifting an Olympics-related event to Easter, Christmas or 2013 wouldn't be sensible several times I felt I had to resort to something extreme. Capitals. I'm sorry if it made your eyes burn or ears bleed but at least you read it :P

DITTO! :P

Thanks for trying to be constructive, as you assure me you were, and not trying to render the whole concept and reason to have a SE Event at the end of July 2012 irrelevant, which is how I read your suggestion. Can you see my point?

Misread! :rolleyes:

I've made a note about your quoting preferences for future reference. I was sure to make it clear it was part of a longer comment by adding a ... at the start and didn't think I'd taken it out of context at all. To put your mind at rest, here's the whole (quite long) sentence for anyone unwilling to look back:

So given the fact that both sides have possibly missed the fact that both sides are making arrangements and that the NW appear to have the venue nearly booked, and the SE haven't, I would have thought that a SE event earlier in the year such as Easter would be an amicable solution?
My response remains the same.

Just the type of sarcastic reply one comes to expect from you. :ph34r:

Now i'll go and grab my coat, feel free to have the last word SP.......... :D

It would be great if it was, just imagine the events you could have! Power Trail Time Trials, 35mm film can scavenge hunts, extreme multis on top of mountain time trials, The Skeg to Ness Indy 500 race.

Of course if it was an olympic sport you would need somewhere with some countryside, which kind of rules London out. :ph34r:

Nice to see some suggestions. Yes, there will be a range of caching events (and Events) relating to the Olympics for 'competitors' to enjoy at, and around, the SE Mega. So the northern contingent can have some fun with it, perhaps we should just call it the Southern Mega so it can be easily shortened to Smega? (one for the Red Dwarf fans there).

I feel like typing using caps again, not to shout, but to use a loud, clear voice: The SE Mega won't be in London. It'll be near to London. Near, not in. Anyway, watching 'Griff Rhys Jones' World's Greatest Cities' the other night, he said because of all its green spaces, London is technically listed as a forest...

Nice to see some suggestions. Yes, there will be a range of caching events (and Events) relating to the Olympics for 'competitors' to enjoy at, and around, the SE Mega. So the northern contingent can have some fun with it, perhaps we should just call it the Southern Mega so it can be easily shortened to Smega? (one for the Red Dwarf fans there).

I feel like typing using caps again, not to shout, but to use a loud, clear voice: The SE Mega won't be in London. It'll be near to London. Near, not in. Anyway, watching 'Griff Rhys Jones' World's Greatest Cities' the other night, he said because of all its green spaces, London is technically listed as a forest...

I too am getting a little cheesed off with the obsession at calling this a London Mega, with the associated cost and lack of green space comments. Some potential places which could all qualify would be;

Brighton,

Guildford,

Windsor,

Oxford,

Stratford,

Cambridge,

Milton Keynes (?!)

All are within an hour train journey from Central London, all are surrounded by nice green countryside and thousands of caches, and I doubt any resident would say they live in London.

Much like Perth this year, they have successfully managed to make use of existing celebrations to gain funding and publicity, all we would like to do is the same.

Oh, and I love the idea of calling it the Smega!

I too am getting a little cheesed off with the obsession at calling this a London Mega, with the associated cost and lack of green space comments. Some potential places which could all qualify would be;

Stratford,

Stratford-on-Avon?

I doubt the residents would agree with being classed as the South East. Also it's 2hr15min by the fastest train from London.

Stratford in Greater London?

Costs close to the Olympics, even if you could find a venue would be prohibitive.

Stratford,

Stratford-on-Avon?

I doubt the residents would agree with being classed as the South East. Also it's 2hr15min by the fastest train from London.

Stratford in Greater London?

Costs close to the Olympics, even if you could find a venue would be prohibitive.

Stratford East London - the SITE of the Olympic village :rolleyes: yes, that one was a joke :ph34r:

Brighton,

Guildford,

Windsor,

Oxford,

Stratford,

Cambridge,

Milton Keynes (?!)

Sorry it was the thread title "LONDON MEGA 2012 would it be a good idea?" which foolishly lead me to believe that the proposed Mega even was in London. How silly of me!

A fair point. With metal bijou's permission, would a mod mind changing the name of that thread? It was appropriate when the suggestion was first made but the idea has moved on. I'd suggest South East/Olympic Mega - Would it be a good idea? but you might want to check with metal bijou first.

Edited by Simply Paul

A fair point. With metal bijou's permission, would a mod mind changing the name of that thread? It was appropriate when the suggestion was first made but the idea has moved on. I'd suggest South East/Olympic Mega - Would it be a good idea? but you might want to check with metal bijou first.

The best way to get a Mod's attention would be for metal-bijou to go to his Topic, click on the 'Report' button and then ask for the Topic's title to be changed in the Comment box of the Report action, giving exact wording for his new title.

MrsB

Here's an olive branch!

Let me say that if there was a Mega Event in London in 2012 I would be one of the first ones to make a will attend. I love visiting London and have really enjoyed my geocaching trips there. I am also looking forward to the olympics. My town Bolton has a bit of a connection as the olympic mascots (I like them but I am biased) were made here and its a Bolton firm that has got the contract to build many of the venues so we feel we are playing a small part. I will of course also attend the Mega NW event as it would be so close to home.

There seems to be some kind of sacred aura about mega events that I don't understand. What are they? >500 geocachers in one place. Now in 2008 when Harrogate did it that was harder to achieve but there are so many more cachers around nowadays that its quite reasonable to suggest that both London and the North West could easily attract 500 people. Heck put a big power trail out and you will have had 500 people after a few weeks!

Far be it from me to give advice to the SE committee but you SHOULD have it in London and use the name London with pride. A city with such an international recognition, its your trump card, use it. :rolleyes: In the North West we don't have quite the same pull but we do have some great countryside so that's our trump card.

If it was in London as I say I would be the one of the first to log a will attend. I would not worry about costs as I can stay with family. A selfish attitude maybe but no one should be put off by "If its here I will not attend because......" posts because you should concentrate on the people who will attend.

A mega event in Milton Keynes on the other hand. Well no disrepect to the place but I would be as likely to attend that as some one from Milton Keynes would be to attend a Mega event in Bolton. :ph34r:

Also I feel that I should point out that I am not part of the North West 2012 Mega Event committee so when I say "we" referring to the North West these are actually my own views and are not necessarily representative. I take my hat off to anyone who spends the time and trouble organising a mega event where ever it is, especially as its not something I could do.

Thanks!

Hi All

I am not sure whether my opinion will change anything but here goes anyway....

How many people/ teams attended previous Megas?

Weston had 528 teams, we were 1 of them :ph34r: . We travelled 100+ miles to get there, and i know a few travelled further.

However we would have loved to attend Perth, but this is just too far :rolleyes:

So the main point to all this is how far are most cachers prepared to travel?

How many cachers from the SE or NW would travel to the opposite end of the country for a mega?

I think that there are probably enough cachers in each of the areas to justify a mega on their own, and if you held 5 in a year they would all attract similar numbers.

Does anyone know how the concentrations of cachers in the uk are at the moment or even how many there are?

I am only guessing but would not be surprised to find there are 40,000+ teams, so if only 10% would attend an event thats 4,000 and being generous and say that each event had 800 attendees the country could support at least 5 events...

However i think only one event should carry the "UK MEGA" label, and this should probably up to GC to moderate on.

Well just a thought

Firstly, I'm staying impartial.... but to answer your questions about how far we would go,

We went to Harrogate (180 miles)

We went to Weston Super Market (140 miles)

We won't be going to Perth, not because it's too far (although it probably is) but because we're going to Inverness 2 weeks later (522 miles)

So far, we've attended camping events as far as Cornwall (218 miles), North Wales (160 miles) Whitby (220 miles) and so on.

Not to mention that we covered around 350 miles for the 10 years events.

Hence the reason I said that if we can, we'll attend both

Hi All

I am not sure whether my opinion will change anything but here goes anyway....

How many people/ teams attended previous Megas?

Weston had 528 teams, we were 1 of them :ph34r: . We travelled 100+ miles to get there, and i know a few travelled further.

However we would have loved to attend Perth, but this is just too far :rolleyes:

So the main point to all this is how far are most cachers prepared to travel?

How many cachers from the SE or NW would travel to the opposite end of the country for a mega?

I think that there are probably enough cachers in each of the areas to justify a mega on their own, and if you held 5 in a year they would all attract similar numbers.

Does anyone know how the concentrations of cachers in the uk are at the moment or even how many there are?

I am only guessing but would not be surprised to find there are 40,000+ teams, so if only 10% would attend an event thats 4,000 and being generous and say that each event had 800 attendees the country could support at least 5 events...

However i think only one event should carry the "UK MEGA" label, and this should probably up to GC to moderate on.

Well just a thought

we are going to the Mega in Perth as we can tie in with 'want to visit Scotland' but will take 3 days drive and 2 stop overs to get there....but it is a trek :P..........if more than one we would have to weigh up pros and cons and where...camping in the cold doesn't really work for us....sorry

Edited by The Slaughter Family

Here’s our take on the subject:

Harrogate and Weston attended. All being well, we will make Perth and Swansea.

We thoroughly enjoying Harrogate due to fantastic organisation - considering it was the first in the UK, Harrogate itself, the outstanding local areas around the venue and because it was the first UK Mega. We felt Weston was almost as good, just as well organised but in our opinion not in such a good position for caching in the surrounding areas.

Perth, as a town is a little like Harrogate IIRC, and promises to be another superb event. Swansea has all the promise of living up to the previous Megas, from what I can gather so far.

By 2012, we will have attended 4 Megas, two in England and one each in Scotland and Wales, so the attraction of another English Mega isn’t so strong. We may not bother with future Mega events, but a Mega in Eire/Northern Ireland would be another matter…..

I’m of the view (H) that generally the SE Mega will attract mainly cachers from the S/SE, with a few from the rest of the UK. Overseas visitors, will probably be made up of cachers who are over just for the Event with a further small number who have a shared interest in caching and the Olympics. The NW Mega will mainly attract cachers from the Midlands up and probably a reasonable contingent from North Wales and Scotland. The NW Mega could arguably be more convenient for cachers from NI, but having come over they may go the extra mile (excuse the pun) down to the SE.

If each group thinks they can risk IRO £7.5k to put on their respective Megas then good on ‘em – JFDI - but please don’t spoil it for each other!

We wish both organising groups the very best of luck.

L&H.

I'm not that shocked that after a couple of years of successful Megas that this situation has come up. For the record, until these threads appeared recently, i'd not heard of either!

I was a little surprised (and maybe slightly disappointed) when I discovered that the 2011 Mega was not that far from the 2009 edition. I'd hoped they would take me to all corners of the country.

Now we have a situation where people are playing bagsy as far ahead as they feasibly can. Geowoodstock have a committe who vote on the next location. Maybe this is an idea with the 'UK MEGA' events?

No person within the community has the right to stop someone else holding a Mega event in the same year, even on the same day. Yes it's a risk and inevitable that some will choose one over the other, probably based on proximity, but there is likely to be an equal number of people not wanting to travel to the distant one and would appreciate a choice.

It seems logical to me that with the Olympics coming to London in two years that we make something of it and host a big event. Will it be Mega, only numbers will tell however there is nothing and no one that should prevent someone hosting such an event. Likewise, the UK Mega Event (NW) should continue as planned.

Lets get on and have 2 Megas to look forward to in what should be a good year for the country!

In terms of the UK Mega label. It sounds to me like the NW is running with this and the Olympic event would be a one off celebration of our hosting of the event. Therefore I can't see that it would need the 'UK MEGA' brand/label.

So far i've attended all UK Megas and hope to continue that. However, I can't say now whether i'd attend either, let alone both. Time will tell.

I'm not that shocked that after a couple of years of successful Megas that this situation has come up. For the record, until these threads appeared recently, i'd not heard of either!

I was a little surprised (and maybe slightly disappointed) when I discovered that the 2011 Mega was not that far from the 2009 edition. I'd hoped they would take me to all corners of the country.

Now we have a situation where people are playing bagsy as far ahead as they feasibly can. Geowoodstock have a committe who vote on the next location. Maybe this is an idea with the 'UK MEGA' events?

No person within the community has the right to stop someone else holding a Mega event in the same year, even on the same day. Yes it's a risk and inevitable that some will choose one over the other, probably based on proximity, but there is likely to be an equal number of people not wanting to travel to the distant one and would appreciate a choice.

It seems logical to me that with the Olympics coming to London in two years that we make something of it and host a big event. Will it be Mega, only numbers will tell however there is nothing and no one that should prevent someone hosting such an event. Likewise, the UK Mega Event (NW) should continue as planned.

Lets get on and have 2 Megas to look forward to in what should be a good year for the country!

In terms of the UK Mega label. It sounds to me like the NW is running with this and the Olympic event would be a one off celebration of our hosting of the event. Therefore I can't see that it would need the 'UK MEGA' brand/label.

So far i've attended all UK Megas and hope to continue that. However, I can't say now whether i'd attend either, let alone both. Time will tell.

well said.

Regarding the names, maybe a compromise is that there isn't an "official UK" Mega in 2012, but instead a Northern Mega and a Southern Mega - with both organisers agreeing not to call themselves UK? Just some early morning thinking!

well said.

Regarding the names, maybe a compromise is that there isn't an "official UK" Mega in 2012, but instead a Northern Mega and a Southern Mega - with both organisers agreeing not to call themselves UK? Just some early morning thinking!

I'd have thought there'd be more mileage in organising the worlds first Geolympics, to be held every 4 years in the host country, to coincide with the "other" two Olympics - the international appeal would be far bigger....

Edited to add - not forgetting the potential to bring in a Winter Geolympics every other year too.... :drama:

Edited by keehotee