Where is manual for Oregon? was: What am I missing

Just got my oregon 450. There is no owners manual in the box and no CD manual. What gives? My 60csx came with a very nice owners manual. With what I paid for the 450, Garmin could have added a nice manual. Should I have recieved a CD or a owners manual? I did get that cheap start up booklet. And the could have thrown in a couple battries. :rolleyes: Thanks

Edited by rustynails.

Just got my oregon 450. There is no owners manual in the box and no CD manual. What gives? My 60csx came with a very nice owners manual. With what I paid for the 450, Garmin could have added a nice manual. Should I have recieved a CD or a owners manual? I did get that cheap start up booklet. And the could have thrown in a couple battries. :rolleyes: Thanks

nope,you have to go online to garmins site to download the manual.

One thing you were missing was a good subject line. I've changed that for you.

When asking for help, your subject line is your sub-second plea to people that can help you. While you got great answers above, a hard-hitting subject is more likely to attract experts than something weak like "help!!!! :-( "

I agree with you. For the price, I think garmin needs to include more stuff in their higher end packages, especially the owners manual for crying out loud. Unfortunately, the trend seems to be save money by packaging less stuff... or as they say "green packaging" to make you think its a good thing.

FWIW, my pn-40 came with a good amount of stuff in the box. in fact i think Delorme got it perfect... a nice owners manual, lanyard, sticker, complete topo 7 cds, precut CDs, and even a 1gb sd card.

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

Printed manuals made sense in the era of fixed-function devices. I'm pretty sure my string trimmer will not get any firmware updates that substantially changes the way it work. Given that we *expect* products with a substantial software component to get changes over the life cycle of the product, the reality is that printed manuals (remember translation, lead times for printing, keeping units in the channel updated, etc.) are increasingly impractical.

Yep.... help save the trees.

So that's why it came with no owner's manual, but a quick start manual (in 5-6 different languages, each using a different booklet), an ad for specialized maps, a booklet of important safety and product information, and a piece of paper telling you how to get your manual off of your GPS... certainly saving the trees!

The downloadable manuals make more sense in that it is much easier for them to update them and then by downloading, you can be assured of getting the updated version rather than a version that might be several months old.

Personally, I would rather see the manufacturers save the printing and shipping costs associated with printed manuals rather than including them in the box. Especially, since a fairly large number of users never read the manual.

And lastly, I personally prefer a PDF version of a manual over a printed version because I can SEARCH an electronic manual much easier than a printed one.

And for the pages that I want printed, there are a number of easy avenues for that.