Regions in cache names?

hallycat

Hi Hallycat,

The (Region name) harks back to the early days of caching and was initially something cachers, and reviewers did to more locally identify where caches were appearing: this was long before online maps were readily available.

Bit of historic reading originally here, then here, and more recently here.

Basically, the region, not the city or town, has been added at the end of the cache name to give people some idea of where the new cache is location-wise. Many cachers have found this useful and a number of times when it's been put to the local NZ forum, people have been keen for it to continue. Of course, if a cacher doesn't want it there, then they are encouraged to remove it as it is their cache, and their cache name.

Cheers,

G.

It's great when I live in the middle of the North Island, to know that a cache is located in one of the South Island regions, as would be an airtrip or ferry trip plus 2 days driving away.

New Zealand is a state, a country in it's own right, and is divided into provinces, each of which has a main centre, usually a city. US citizens learn the names and locations of the 50 US states, NZers (kiwis) learn the provinces or regions.

This wonderful wee help on our cache listings is much appreciated.

Edited by Butterfly_lady

Thanks for the explanations! And I so hope I can visit your beautiful country one day soon.

ETA, we Americans tend to forget it's not all about us. Our caches are listed by state so I wrongly a**/u/me d

that all caches worldwide were listed by some kind of region/province or what have you.

Edited by hallycat

Thanks for the explanations! And I so hope I can visit your beautiful country one day soon.

ETA, we Americans tend to forget it's not all about us. Our caches are listed by state so I wrongly a**/u/me d

that all caches worldwide were listed by some kind of region/province or what have you.

what a ridiculous piece of software it is that censors an innocent word like that because three of its letters form what might be a naughty word lol

what a ridiculous piece of software it is that censors an innocent word like that because three of its letters form what might be a naughty word lol

Hi Rob, I believe the poster is referring to a little play on the word assume, see here.

Edited by ADV