BENCH MARK NOT IN SYSTEM ?

square nail

You have to check the key for the USGS topo maps, to see what type of mark it is.

Many of the elevation points shown on the topos were just temporary points selected to get elevation readings for use in creating the topo maps, and were never set with "permanent" markers.

I had the list somewhere, but cant locate it... icon_frown.gif

Anyway, I think the temporary points were marked as "BM X" on the maps....

I think permanent points werfe marked with symbols other than an "X"...I think one type is shown as a triangle next to the "BM"..

HTH

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

www.pirate4x4.com

Square Nail - A lot of USGS bench marks are not in the NGS database. These are separate federal agencies, and each set their own marks. NGS has computerized their database; USGS has not. I found a USGS bench mark on the apron to our county courthouse; it was also not in the database. I emailed USGS about it, and received the above info back from them. The gentleman who replied actually informed me that he had to hand search my information request, and had I not included the quad in which the BM was located, he would probably not have been able to get the information. See this related thread from a couple of months ago.

Catcher24

"You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton

NGS still accepts projects from all over the country. We try and assist in the design so that we can maximize the vertical, such as more GPS on published NAVD 88 bench marks. We have tried to encourage communities to move more in the direction of establishing CORS and fewer monumented points because of the inevitable problem of physically maintaining a monumented network.

Thanks to everybody for their amazing response! This is a "US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY BM" with elevation but no personal ID number. And yes, it was located with the help of a NAD27 topo map. I drove over 200 miles today just to photograph this BM. I don't know how to post a photo of the BM and the map,but that is probable not needed now. Thanks again! Square Nail