Log deletion notice

Here's the Knowledge Book article on Log Deletion.

And here are the two guidelines that pertain to logging behavior.

Cache Maintenance which mentions when and why a CO can delete a log.

Logging of physical caches which addresses the issues that arose when Additional Logging Requirements (ALR's) were removed from the game. Demanding a longer log from you or any other finder is an ALR.

They cannot simply delete the log because they don't like it.

Yes your find count will decrease.

Edited by wimseyguy

Here's the Knowledge Book article on Log Deletion.

And here are the two guidelines that pertain to logging behavior.

Cache Maintenance which mentions when and why a CO can delete a log.

Logging of physical caches which addresses the issues that arose when Additional Logging Requirements (ALR's) were removed from the game. Demanding a longer log from you or any other finder is an ALR.

They cannot simply delete the log because they don't like it.

Yes your find count will decrease.

Yes, and you may need to refresh the page to show that there is no log, as you computer may be showing a saved version. They cannot delete valid found logs.

thanks guys.

after thinking about it some more....

I'd rather lose this find than be subjected to the cache owner's judgements on what is and what is not a comment of "substance" on the online log.

I'll ignore the email..i don't wanna get into a slanging match like a 10 year old in the playground, but I like the tip about ignoring his caches. I've only found one by this owner and they're not really local.

Edited by shakesmyteeth

Oh dear...

That's not nice to delete someone's log just because you think they should write more. ;)

Admittedly most cache owner's appreciate an original sentence or two, rather than an abbreviation, or whatever, but that's no justification for deletion!

I notice that you seem to be in the NW of England and there's been a topic running on this very subject in the NWCaching (UK) forum so you might be interested to see what cachers in that area have been saying.

MrsB ;)

thanks guys.

I'd rather lose this find than be subjected to the cache owner's judgements on what is and what is not a comment of "substance" on the online log.

I'll ignore the email..i don't wanna get into a slanging match like a 10 year old in the playground, but I like the tip about ignoring his caches. I've only found one by this owner and they're not really local.

You are a rare breed and I predict many years of good health in your future. ;)

Two trains of thought.

If you let them "get away with it" this time, you're helping to set a precedence that it's okay for them to delete logs in the future if they don't like what was said.

But on the other hand, it just might be better to take the high road and re-log it adding a little more to your log. Describe the area, the views, the walk to the cache or something like that.

I've looked through the OP's logs on other caches. He's not exactly a TFTC kind of logger.

He didn't mention the conditions of the cache, but I gotta guess it wasn't an outstanding cache.

If that's true, then would it really help to expand on what he didn't like?

I think he's already taking the high road by letting it go. I commend him for deciding to let it go AND for not airing all the dirty laundry in this thread.

Two trains of thought.

If you let them "get away with it" this time, you're helping to set a precedence that it's okay for them to delete logs in the future if they don't like what was said.

But on the other hand, it just might be better to take the high road and re-log it adding a little more to your log. Describe the area, the views, the walk to the cache or something like that.

Actually...letting the log stay deleted is a way of standing your own ground. If you submit to their demand that you write what they want, then you are letting them get away with it.

Either force the issue through GS appeals(reinstating your log as is), of leave it be and ignore this and all their other Caches.

Another route instead of the high road would be to go off roading through the mud... You could relog it with a very nice paragraph, and after it is posted quickly edit it to what you wrote originally. :rolleyes: The CO doesn't get notifications of edits. If that doesn't work, it could appear on a "log deletion" bookmark list.

However, admittedly the best route is to just move on.

If you legitimately found the cache and signed the log book, Groundspeak's rules permit you to log the find. Log your find again as YOU see fit, and if the cache owner deletes it again, report them to Groundspeak.

Arbitrary log deletion alienates people and has NO place in a game like this.

If I deleted every log that I didn't care for/found inadequate/was too short on my caches I would have long since worn the inscription off my DELETE key.

There are many valid suggestions above, but I would ask the cache owner to supply the text I should be posting for my log...and then post it in italics.

Another route instead of the high road would be to go off roading through the mud... You could relog it with a very nice paragraph, and after it is posted quickly edit it to what you wrote originally. :rolleyes: The CO doesn't get notifications of edits. If that doesn't work, it could appear on a "log deletion" bookmark list.

However, admittedly the best route is to just move on.

I like the idea of the bookmark list, but I can't see how that would end well. I think that would just start a lot of bad feelings and who knows what. I also wouldn't start a "This Cache stinks" list.

That sort of thing irritates me so much. I think it's okay to request (not require) that people post interesting logs, and several cache owners around here do; but to delete someone's log because it's not long enough is just rude.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, since it seems most of you agree, but goodness. :)

What if someone is not proficient at typing and it takes them a long time to type out their log?

What if someone speaks English as a second language and doesn't have a huge English vocabulary to write their log? (same goes for any other language)

The experience of caching is supposed to be about going to get the find right? If the person puts in the effort to go find the cache then they can log as short or long a log as they want, it's their choice.

I am so sorry you got your log deleted; that is way lame.

If it were me I'd just contact GS appeals and have the log reinstated and locked. No argument, no fuss, just done and over with. Demanding longer logs is an ALR, and they're banned under the guidelines that the CO agreed to when they hid that cache.

I recently had a long log deleted with full explination and actions because they didnt like the fact that i drove to within .1 mile of the cache, and didnt want to encourage others to do this.

here is my new log to reclame my find count:

GC1ZYKQ - Sholden downs

Finaly managed to grab this one........ hopefuly now FP, Moo & Meer will be off my back

I finished work early so stopped at Updown first to place a new cache (now published) and then onto this one,.

I attacked the cache from over the wodden style and soon found my self at GZ thinking this isnt too bad why the 4 star, after a quick look around it was obviouse where the cache was located but a few steps towards it and the ground started to squish under my feet,

bearing in mind i had just finished work and was wearing my full work uniform (shirt & tie job with black shoes)

The cows must have thought i was a clown tip toeing around holding my trouser legs up in the air trying not to get them muddy.

I finaly reached the cache and signed the log, but all my efforts to keep clean was to no evail, i even managed to get mud up the back of my jacket.

After a quick rub of my shoes in the long grass, i was taking less of GZ home with me but still had to scrub them when i got home, and take flack from the missis that my uniform will need washing again before work tommorow (freshly clean that morning )

TFTC, dipping PT

Edited by daveindeal
thanks guys.

You are a rare breed and I predict many years of good health in your future. :)

what, no disclaimer? LOL.

Two trains of thought.

Actually...letting the log stay deleted is a way of standing your own ground. If you submit to their demand that you write what they want, then you are letting them get away with it.

Either force the issue through GS appeals(reinstating your log as is), of leave it be and ignore this and all their other Caches.

But if you think about it, you just let them get away with it didn't you? :)

thanks guys.

You are a rare breed and I predict many years of good health in your future. :)

what, no disclaimer? LOL.

Some things need no disclaimer.

*** This is not one of them.

Two trains of thought.

Depends on how you view it.

*** Walking away is a respectable option.

Two trains of thought.

Depends on how you view it.

*** Walking away is a respectable option.

In fact it's often the most respectable!

Pah! That's no fun!

Me, I'd relog it with a nice, long log.

...about my first grade teacher, Mrs Talbot. Or my mother's recipe for three-cheese soufflé. Or that funny pain I get in my left hip when I sit cross-legged for a long time. Or...well, you get the idea.

Honestly, you owe it to the larger society to mess with people like this.

I think I might be tempted to post a lorem ipsum log and see if they figure it out. :ph34r:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Yup... that'd work. :rolleyes:

Interesting translation.

But who has any right to find fault with a man who chooses to enjoy a pleasure that has no annoying consequences...
I think I might be tempted to post a lorem ipsum log and see if they figure it out. :ph34r:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Just have the first word in french, the second in german, the third in latin, the fourth in spanish, etc...

note: this will put you on shaky grounds if you ever meet this person at an event. It will also gain you eternal respect from many of his/her other victims*, and you MAY even get a cache named after you!

*for lack of a better word

P.S. (to GeoBain): look above to see the proper use of stars for disclaimers!!!

I think I might be tempted to post a lorem ipsum log and see if they figure it out. :P

Just have the first word in french, the second in german, the third in latin, the fourth in spanish, etc...

note: this will put you on shaky grounds if you ever meet this person at an event. It will also gain you eternal respect from many of his/her other victims*, and you MAY even get a cache named after you!

*for lack of a better word

P.S. (to GeoBain): look above to see the proper use of stars for disclaimers!!!

I like stars.

*** and ,,,, commas. :ph34r:

The automated log deletion email looks like this

Subject: [LOG] Log Deletion Notice

Your log entry for the listing Name of Listing (Type of Cache) was deleted by Username at 5/6/2010 9:17:20 AM

Visit this listing at the below address:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=xxxx....

Profile for Username:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=xxxx.....

The first url is a link to the deleted log. There's no other text.

I was going to sa Copy and Paste "TFTC" about a hundred times, but this is better.

Or log in

big font size,

with only two

or three words

per line...

How long

do they want

the log?

:blink:

I would recommend neither. Take the high road.

*** I don't always follow my own advice even though it is usually good.

I got an email regarding a "found it" note i left yesterday.

The cache owner says they have deleted it as "they prefer a longer log".

I just visited the page and my log and picture are still there.

If I choose to ignore the email, will my "finds" reduce by 1 ?

This is how I feel about the cache owners that like to delete logs for their own petty reasons. I don't find their caches. We have a person in our area that if he/she doesn't like what you say in your log they delete it and then proceed to denegrate you. Frankly, this is a game for me and when I run across people that don't know how to play a game for fun then I just turn them off. I have spoken with several cachers around here that have had the same problem with THIS ONE HIDER and we all just laugh about them. Too bad but there is a rotten apple in every bunch. You will find, however, that 99.9% of these people are fun, willing to help and enjoy the game as much as you do.

As for your person that deleted it because they prefer a longer log... did they specify that in the body of the cache page? If not, then why are they complaining?

Have a good weekend and cache on!!!