Car GPS with ability to put in Coordinates...

Hey Guys,

I was with a friend caching this weekend and we took his car to go this time. He had a Garmin Nuvi car GPS. The screen was nice, the maps looked great, but the most important feature it had on it was the ability to put in coordinates in XX YY.ZZZ format, so that when people put parking coordinates or even just cache coordinates, he could plug those in and we were off. I have an ancient Garmin StreetPilot that barely works to begin with, but does not have the ability to put in coordinates.

My question is, does anyone know any good, but relatively inexpensive car GPS units they can reccomend that have this feature?

Thanks so much!

Stevesquirrel

**EDIT** OOps I kinda meant to put this in the General GPS Technology Forum... ;) I posted it there also, so a moderator can delete this... sorry ;)

Edited by SteveSquirrel

I have a 255W and can put in coordinates.

same here, and you can also use it for geocaching

not as good as a handheld but does the job quite well

afaik all Nuvi's let you put in coordinates manually in 3 different formats

The bonus part of using the Garmin Nuvi is using GSAK you can load the caches into it, then just select the one you want to travel to next and it will take you there via the local roads. You can also look at the details and it also loads the details from each cache and makes for a paperless caching unit. Of course I don't use mine in the woods but I could, I use it to get me to closest spot on the road then look for best way from there.

the nuvi 500 supports paperless caching via a gpx file.. gives driving directions to the cache.. then you switch to walking mode and get right to the coords.. all it's missing is a neck strap.

ruggedized and waterproof to a couple metters as most other outdoor gpsr's are.. great unit.. if mine dies i just might get another.

it does not have a magnetic compass.. that and the strap are the only downers i can see.. 200 bucks off ebay too!

Will they show an arrow and distance to go?

I use my Garmin Nuvi 750 and it does not have an arrow and distance to go. If you try to use the "go to" it trys to take you there on roads. When in the map screen there is a scale in the lower left corner, I zoom in until in the 80ft distance scale and then when the pointer icon covers the cache icon I am usually within 10 ft. It is not ideal but I do have 155 finds since Nov. with it. I am looking to get a Delorme PN-30 or 40 when I can justify the expense.

Hey Guys,

I was with a friend caching this weekend and we took his car to go this time. He had a Garmin Nuvi car GPS. The screen was nice, the maps looked great, but the most important feature it had on it was the ability to put in coordinates in XX YY.ZZZ format, so that when people put parking coordinates or even just cache coordinates, he could plug those in and we were off. I have an ancient Garmin StreetPilot that barely works to begin with, but does not have the ability to put in coordinates.

My question is, does anyone know any good, but relatively inexpensive car GPS units they can reccomend that have this feature?

Thanks so much!

Stevesquirrel

**EDIT** OOps I kinda meant to put this in the General GPS Technology Forum... :) I posted it there also, so a moderator can delete this... sorry :laughing: