Thinking of attempting my first geocoin

Hi, i have an idea for a geocoin im thinking of getting minted.

I dont want to disclose the specific design yet incase somebody beats me to it.

I am curious about what people want or expect from a coin.

(sorry if this is to wrong forum but I know and trust many people that are likely to repsond here)

Do you prefer round or shaped coins?

Do you prefer 2d or 3d?

does it have to have own icon

Edited by DivingDJ

Hi, i have an idea for a geocoin im thinking of getting minted.

I dont want to disclose the specific design yet incase somebody beats me to it.

(sorry if this is to wrong forum but I know and trust many people that are likely to repsond here)

Do you prefer round or shaped coins?

Do you prefer 2d or 3d?

does it have to have own icon

Personally, as far as shape goes I don't have any preferences, I think it's the subject and artwork which gives a coin its desirability, not the shape. You might also consider coin diameter and thickness, although it can get quite expensive to make the larger, thicker geocoins.

A 3d design is much better in my opinion, but the production cost will be much higher.

Unique icon - Well, I'd say the majority of collectors prefer trackable coins, but there are those who collect non-trackable personals and mystery coins, it all depends on your reasons for producing a coin.

Unique icon - Well, I'd say the majority of collectors prefer trackable coins, but there are those who collect non-trackable personals and mystery coins, it all depends on your reasons for producing a coin.

It always was possible to have a personal trackable coin with the generic icon.

Really, many of these detailed queries are best put before the experts on the geocoin forum, but agreed if you are particularly wanting to sell to the British market then asking about what sort of designs appeal is a good plan here.

More to the point, what do you want from your Geocoin?

Do you want it to keep moving? Do you want it to be kept by geocachers? (The more desirable you make it the greater chance it will "go missing".)

I know of no geocachers that put (specific) geocoins in their search criteria.

I have very few geocoins in my personal collection (about a dozen) and for me to buy one to keep it's all about the design and/or some unique factor about the coin.

I've always loved the intricate detail in the design of the Tranquility geocoins and the Rainforest jewel treefrog was bought because it was the first geocoin I'd seen with embedded jewels. I have some glass geocoins which were bought because they're unusual - The Forthferalz's Glass Turtle and the Crystal Compass Rose set. Other favourites were bought because they relate to my home county or to some personal geocaching landmark. I like the geocoins with a "celtic" element to them but I'm not keen on the "cartoonish" style of design seen in many coins.

Whatever you try and design you'll never create something that appeals to every cacher so you might as well design something that you like and/or has some special significance for you personally. There are a few UK cachers who have produced popular, successful geocoins and their advice and comments would be valuable if you decide to go ahead with your project.

Good luck ;)

MrsB

If it helps, and I don't claim any expertise in the field other than I've organised the production of the first two Cornish Coins and have just started on the third.

Details of those coins are below, and near the bottom of that linked page is a link to some notes I wrote about the production of those two coins. I'll update those as I do the latest Cornish Coin.

Cornish Geocoin Production

If I can be of any help, give me a shout.

Edited by Birdman-of-liskatraz

We dont collect coins, so the icon does nto matter to us.

We like coins that have a meaning to us, eg the labrador coins.

It would not matter to me if they where shaped or round as long as they related to me.

Also the cost is important to us, as we send all ours travelling, and of course they do tend to go missing.