Advances in TB technology

Judethelaw

Hey Guys

Im looking into actual trackables. I mean items that you can track on a map using GPS in realtime/offline.

This way they can tracked independantly of human input and obviusly come with advantages like they can always be found and cool things like watching the dot move on a map. There should not be any privacy issues since the bug owner can be anon.

Tell us what you think. below is an example of what I mean ;)

<commercial link removed by moderator>

Thanks for any suggestions

Edited by Eartha

There should not be any privacy issues since the bug owner can be anon.

No privacy issues? So when the bug is shown "in the hands of Cacher A" and you can see exactly where that cacher is in real time, that's not a privacy issue?

I guess it does minimize the chance of a geocoin getting stolen. "Hey cacher, I can see that my geocoin is sitting in your house at 123 Main Street, can you please give it back to me?"

I read into the concept of such a thing as being the absolute opposite of "no privacy issues". The intent of such a device is to avoid privacy. Not unlike tracking the dolphin or a whale, wolf or moose, somebody's car or a pet. It is intended to negate ANY privacy that whatever it is attached to (thereby who may have it in hand)!

This may be all well and good in the eyes of a Travel Bug or geocoin owner, but the ramifications of its' misuse far outweigh any little "good" it could produce.

No thank you. ;)

Actually, if I had one with me, I'd probably take the batteries out until I put it in another cache.
If you were uncomfortable with it then the best thing to do would be not to take it from the cache. Removing the batteries seems to go against the owner's wishes, since they obviously inserted the batteries with the intention of the bug being tracked.
Actually, if I had one with me, I'd probably take the batteries out until I put it in another cache.
If you were uncomfortable with it then the best thing to do would be not to take it from the cache. Removing the batteries seems to go against the owner's wishes, since they obviously inserted the batteries with the intention of the bug being tracked.

That's why I said "Until I put it in another cache" My point was, I wouldn't want to be tracked, while I had it. And if I found out I was being tracked with it, after I had taken it, I certainly would remove them, then return them back later.

Your right, it's absolute privacy... Except for the fact that you (and anybody smart enough to hack into it's signal) can tell exactly where I live... Somehow I don't like that especially since you can track where the most recent geocaches I've found are and thus can tell if I'm on vacation or not... I personally would NEVER!!! pick up a trackable that I knew had this feature, as it is an invasion of privacy, and if I did pick it up, it would be to remove the batteries/smash it!

Your right, it's absolute privacy... Except for the fact that you (and anybody smart enough to hack into it's signal) can tell exactly where I live... Somehow I don't like that especially since you can track where the most recent geocaches I've found are and thus can tell if I'm on vacation or not... I personally would NEVER!!! pick up a trackable that I knew had this feature, as it is an invasion of privacy, and if I did pick it up, it would be to remove the batteries/smash it!

Yeah, privacy might be an issue but again show me such a thing might be a possibility beyond a 1 post cacher and I'll be happy to discuss.

Yeah, privacy might be an issue but again show me such a thing might be a possibility beyond a 1 post cacher and I'll be happy to discuss.

The OP showed a link showing it was possible, but it was an ad (in eartha's opinion, I didn't see it) so it was removed

The OP showed a link showing it was possible, but it was an ad (in eartha's opinion, I didn't see it) so it was removed

I get the concept, trust me. Show me the bug.

and by the way, removing a commercial link is not a Mod opinion.

Edited by BlueDeuce
...and if I did pick it up, it would be to remove the batteries/smash it!

Why would you knowingly pick it up just to remove the batteries or smash it? It is the property of the owner, just as every Travel Bug is. To wreck one would be just like wrecking a traditional Travel Bug. There's a certain degree of reason for a cacher who doesn't realize the Travel Bug contains a tracking chip to remove the batteries while the bug is with them and to replace them after dropping it in the next cache.

If you have a problem with a traveller just don't pick it up. It's the same as how you wouldn't look for a cache that was in a spot you don't like. Just don't search for it. You wouldn't Muggle a cache just because you didn't like the way it was hidden, would you? (I hope not. :))

removing a commercial link is not a Mod opinion.

From the forum guidelines:

8. Commerciality and postings with a larger agenda: It is Groundspeak's desire to maintain forums for the purpose of promoting the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. As a result, we intend to limit forum discussions that promote a commercial, social, political or charitable agenda insofar as the agenda does not reasonably relate to the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. Therefore, threads or posts perceived to have been made with the intent of promoting any of the above agendas will not be permitted. Please note that our Volunteer Forum Moderators are authorized to exercise their discretion in providing some reasonable latitude for forum discussion postings relating to local events and issues in local discussion forums. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include or permit the inclusion of limited commercial content in this forum, in its sole discretion.

...and if I did pick it up, it would be to remove the batteries/smash it!

Why would you knowingly pick it up just to remove the batteries or smash it? It is the property of the owner, just as every Travel Bug is. To wreck one would be just like wrecking a traditional Travel Bug. There's a certain degree of reason for a cacher who doesn't realize the Travel Bug contains a tracking chip to remove the batteries while the bug is with them and to replace them after dropping it in the next cache.

If you have a problem with a traveller just don't pick it up. It's the same as how you wouldn't look for a cache that was in a spot you don't like. Just don't search for it. You wouldn't Muggle a cache just because you didn't like the way it was hidden, would you? (I hope not. :))

I haven't come across any I've hated that much, don't worry. besides, if I were to muggle a cache because of placement, it would be because it was in an illegal area and was going to give geocaching a bad name. (I have not yet done this nor do I plan to, I do not think I would do this should the time come but this would be the ONLY reason I would muggle a cache based on not liking the cache.)

You can just ignore an LPC, they don't hurt anybody, but these trackables could so easily be used for nefarious deeds, so I would probably at the very least attach a note to it saying that it is a trackable that sends out your coordinates if I noticed but it wasn't very obvious...

I wouldn't care for the idea of having a tracking bug with me, although most of us already use one daily (cell phone can be traced to a region), and would most likely leave such a device where I found it.

Which brings up my other point. How would this thing work when locked into an ammo can stuffed under the root knot of an oak tree? Can ya hear me now?

How about the OP release a transmitter bug into the wild and let us know how it goes.

Otherwise this is nothing but a flipping commercial.

Good point. The OP should attache a tracking device to a GS travel bug dog tag, and see how it works out. I would be very interested.