Garmin 60csx

I need some help understanding how a Garmin 60Csx reads the map data. I assume all Garmins use the same type of file format. Does anyone know what format that is? I have a lot of maps that work with Arc GIS and want to make them available for my Garmin 60Csx. Does anyone know how to do that? If I knew what format they had to be in then that would help. Maybe what I have is already in the correct format. If not, then does anyone know of a program that can convert it over to the Garmin format? It just seems silly to buy more maps of the same areas I already have. Any help you can provide to educate me on map file types and conversion would be greatly appreciated.

I need some help understanding how a Garmin 60Csx reads the map data. I assume all Garmins use the same type of file format. Does anyone know what format that is? I have a lot of maps that work with Arc GIS and want to make them available for my Garmin 60Csx. Does anyone know how to do that? If I knew what format they had to be in then that would help. Maybe what I have is already in the correct format. If not, then does anyone know of a program that can convert it over to the Garmin format? It just seems silly to buy more maps of the same areas I already have. Any help you can provide to educate me on map file types and conversion would be greatly appreciated.

I think I should have mentioned I use a Mac as well. Any suggestions on the best software to integrate the Garmin and Mac would be appreciated as well. Thoughts on Basecamp or MacGPS Pro etc...

I'm also a Mac and I use nothing but Garmin Basecamp. It's free, works great and is a pretty much do-all application for transferring/storing caches, waypoints and tracks. Also, for the maps, go to Garmin and get the Mapinstall application. Then, when you've got all these free apps installed, use the link provided earlier to gpsfile depot to snag some sweet maps of your area. Then install the maps with Mapinstall, transfer your caches with Basecamp and you're good to go!

I think I should have mentioned I use a Mac as well. Any suggestions on the best software to integrate the Garmin and Mac would be appreciated as well. Thoughts on Basecamp or MacGPS Pro etc...

I'm also a Mac and I use nothing but Garmin Basecamp. It's free, works great and is a pretty much do-all application for transferring/storing caches, waypoints and tracks. Also, for the maps, go to Garmin and get the Mapinstall application. Then, when you've got all these free apps installed, use the link provided earlier to gpsfile depot to snag some sweet maps of your area. Then install the maps with Mapinstall, transfer your caches with Basecamp and you're good to go!

Thanks for the reply. I will have to give Basecamp a try and see if it can do everything I want it to do.