Upgrading to a high-sensitivity chipset: Worth it?

I've currently got a Garmin Rino 530. I like it a good bit, all except for the fact that it seems to be quite inaccurate under a leafy cover and loses signal a decent amount. I see that the GPSMAP 60CSx is on sale at REI and was simply wondering if the upgrade to a high-sensitivity chipset is worth it. The two units appear to be quite similar in function with the exception of the radio, which I barely ever use.

I guess the question boils down to this: are the higher sensitivity GPS receivers also more accurate under foliage or would I simply get a more consistent faulty reading?

I've currently got a Garmin Rino 530. I like it a good bit, all except for the fact that it seems to be quite inaccurate under a leafy cover and loses signal a decent amount. I see that the GPSMAP 60CSx is on sale at REI and was simply wondering if the upgrade to a high-sensitivity chipset is worth it. The two units appear to be quite similar in function with the exception of the radio, which I barely ever use.

I guess the question boils down to this: are the higher sensitivity GPS receivers also more accurate under foliage or would I simply get a more consistent faulty reading?

When I went from the original blue (black and white) Legend to the Legend Cx, the difference was amazing. It still got a little confused under trees, but far less than my original. It also regained its position faster. Then I upgraded to the Legend HCx, and again there was a big leap in sensitivity.

The positions under trees were much better, not just consistently faulty. The 60 CSx is just as good (some would say better) than the H series models. I've never used or seen the Rino 530, but after the reading I've done on it, it looks to have the same sensitivity as the 60 CSx. I'm sure someone will chime in about it soon.

Keep in mind, nothing will be perfect under really heavy tree cover, but some models are better than others.

Quick answer is yes, get it.

The differences are huge. More accurate, faster acquisition, ability to hold acquisition in questionable conditions (i.e. canyons, dense leafy canopies, sitting inside you house, inside a vehicle while driving, etc.) without an external antenna.

I have the 76Csx which is very similar and get all "D"s (differential lock) on my satellite page while having coffee at the dining room table. GPSr's are made for navigation and if yours will not maintain acquisition lock while hiking in the forest outdoors, then it seems your GPS is pretty worthless for the purpose intended, don't you?

Join the wild side, get the 60Csx and start having fun again. LOL

Be safe.

N

I've never used or seen the Rino 530, but after the reading I've done on it, it looks to have the same sensitivity as the 60 CSx. I'm sure someone will chime in about it soon.

Maybe the Rino 530 HCx has comparable sensitivity, but my regular 530 does not have the fancy chipset. After some reading and the recommendations here, I've ordered one. Here's to many more geocaches in the future!

I've never used or seen the Rino 530, but after the reading I've done on it, it looks to have the same sensitivity as the 60 CSx. I'm sure someone will chime in about it soon.

Maybe the Rino 530 HCx has comparable sensitivity, but my regular 530 does not have the fancy chipset. After some reading and the recommendations here, I've ordered one. Here's to many more geocaches in the future!

I was going to chime in about the Rino530HCx, as I have one. Good GPS, I never had any accuracy problems with it. I've used it very little since I bought my Oregon450 about a month ago though. Will be using it more for camping now as my Bro-in-law has one, and my children can use my motorola's for communication.

Just figured I'd drop in to mention that I picked up my 60CSx today from REI and went to try it out with my old Rino 530. I picked a couple caches that are in an area with tall, old growth trees. I parked my car, went into the forest and turned both GPSr's on. The 60CSx got a position lock with plenty of satellites within a few seconds. The Rino 530 couldn't figure out my position at all the entire time I was in the forest. The 60CSx dropped me right on both of the caches to boot.

So the moral of the story is that if you were like me and contemplating an upgrade to a high-sensitivity GPSr, DO IT! If time is money and you will save time by finding caches quicker, then a new GPSr will actually SAVE YOU MONEY. :)