Writing a Log (Online)

I tried to find a topic to post this question in, but I couldn't find any that exactly fit my purpose. If this belongs somewhere else, by all means move/lock this one. :)

I have a question about logging online. I have seen around the forums people complaining about short logs that only say things like "TFTC" or "TNLNSL". I was under the impression that that is all that's necessary/simplicity is appreciated, but now I see that people like to hear more. What kinds of things do you write in a log (Find or DNF, whichever)?

Thanks for helping out a noob. :)

If the cache wasn't particularly engaging I write something really short but more than TFTC. I'm just not comfortable with just TFTC. If it's a DNF log I'll explain any circumstances that prevented me from finding the cache.

For caches I really enjoy I write what I enjoyed about it but don't do a small novel. Just a little snippet of my experience.

I write long, chatty logs if I liked the cache. A paragraph or two. But my favorite caching is a long walk in the woods, so a longer log is appropriate.

For a cache 'n' dash, I'd write a line or two, unless something interesting happened or the container was neat or something.

If it's TFTC, it's a sure sign I hated the dang thing.

The reality is that most cache owners will not be looking at the logsheet in the cache. The way you let the cache owner know that you enjoyed the cache is to write a log online, which is forwarded to the cache owner.

If you hated the cache, enjoyed the cache or just found it with no emotion attached, you can put it in the online log.

It's also a way for others who seek the cache know what their experience is.

Leaving a log of TNLNSL is lazy and unimaginative but it serves the purpose of letting a cache owner know that you found their cache. I, like many cache owners, would love to get more than a simple TNLNSL log on my caches but don't hold it against people if that's all they write.

For the record, I have found that no matter how good a cache is or how bad it is it will get the same types of logs. My "best" cache gets short logs. My lamest one has had some extended logs (of course I really don't have a lame one yet ;) )

Team Geo-Cricket: Thank you very much for the link, that was very helpful!

AuntieWeasel: That sounds like an easy system to keep track of caches you did/didn't like. I might make that into a note system for myself. ;)

Bittsen: Thanks you for the clarification. I always wondered if it was annoying to cache owners if I left a longer log, or if they appreciated hearing any story I had while searching for their cache.

What types of things do you write about? The scenery (if it is nice), or the hunt itself; or perhaps an adventure/funny happening? I don't really have many interesting stories (nothing interesting ever happens to me ;) ) so would a shorter log be appropriate? I want to be more involved, but I don't want to be rude or annoying.

AuntieWeasel said pretty much all I wanted to say. I'd also insert a short personal note, usually just a sentence or two, if I know the CO.

At the very minimum, I try to include enough details for me to recall the cache. Even those that are best forgotten, you'd want to remember enough to warn others about them ;) I try to avoid being snarky in the logs, because no one forced me to go look for the caches.

There was a thread about how to write interesting logs, it's an old thread and pretty long, but I can't find it. Maybe someone has it bookmarked...

Edited by Chrysalides

If it applies to the cache or your caching day, type away. If it didn't blow your skirt up, TFTC suffices. It is whatever you feel needs to be said.

On the other hand, we have an infamous cacher in these parts that drones on and on about life, health, dogs, price of cottage cheese, etc. Almost all unrelated to the cache. Owners and finders alike tend to just skip reading those types of logs that are unrelated to the cache and can earn you a not so good rep real fast, especially if you cut and paste the same long, unrelated log over and over again.

I usually write about the weather, or the trouble I had finding the cache, or any wildlife I saw (or wildlife poop, which you are far more likely to see), or any injuries, or...just anything. I tend to run off at the keyboard.

If you have trouble thinking of things to write about, twitch, post a photo or two instead. That's always appreciated.

Don't strain yourself trying to think of something clever to say about a roadside micro.

What types of things do you write about? The scenery (if it is nice), or the hunt itself; or perhaps an adventure/funny happening? I don't really have many interesting stories (nothing interesting ever happens to me ;) ) so would a shorter log be appropriate? I want to be more involved, but I don't want to be rude or annoying.

Any, or all, of the above.

I think it's safe to say (or as safe as one can get on this forum) that the majority of cache owners would prefer a sentence (or two... or more...) rather than abbreviations but I also understand that there are some cachers who are not into the whole 'share your experiences with the caching community' thing and they simply record that they found a cache with TFTC.

For us, our cache logs are as much for our own caching history record as they are for the cache owner. In the future I hope to be able to look back on any one of our logs and from those words recall the circumstances of that find, or that day's caching, and think, "Ahhh, yes, I remember it well..."

MrsB ;)

Write about everything you think others will enjoy to know about, or things that amused you.

Usually, the most interesting the cache is, the most interesting things you have to write about.

If you hunt a cache that will take a 2 day hike in an abandoned railway track, with dangerous bridges and bat-infested tunnels, you'll probably have a lot to write about... I know several buddy geocachers that even use a piece of paper to write their instant thoughts, so that they don't forget them when they write the online log...

In the otherwise, if the adventure was short and with lack of interest, I don't think that one will point the finger at you because you didn't write a 2 pages log. Just write you hunted it on foot/car/bike/..., it was in good maintenance condition (or not), thank the person and you're done with it.

For us, our cache logs are as much for our own caching history record as they are for the cache owner. In the future I hope to be able to look back on any one of our logs and from those words recall the circumstances of that find, or that day's caching, and think, "Ahhh, yes, I remember it well..."

MrsB ;)

Ditto for me. I'm not much of a wordsmith so I don't write very long logs but I do try to put in something so I can remember the experience later. I also like to take pictures, so if there was anything photo worthy during the cache hunt, it gets posted.

Here's the link to the previously mentioned topic - The lost art of logging.

A number of years ago I ran into s cache in Buffalo, New York and there was an admonishment which indicated " Lame Logs " would not be acceptable. ( even deleted ). Initially I bristled. However, after reading some of the logs I changed my mind.

The least I could do to show appreciation for The C. O.'s efforts would be to comply with the request. It seemed a rather simple request and has led to my logging style. It seems as though there is a following of folks who keep an eye on my profile just to read the logs.

My logging style is rather like the good person from Sussex, U.K. I am sometimes over the top, sometimes not. I try to say something pleasant about even the lowliest LPC or Guardrail Goober. After all here are times when an LPC or Guardrail Goober takes one to a spectacular site. In my lowly estimation the owner should be honored for their efforts and something spectacular needs to be called out.

I recently finished a two day caching run on the TOTG, garnering a lowly 300+ caches in two days. Each of my caches got a distinct note. Granted not all of the notes were extensive or flowery. Some might ask if I have a beef over cut and paste notation. Not in the least.

For me, honor the efforts of the cache owner.

It depends upon many things. How much I liked the cache, how busy I am and if inspiration hits while I’m writing. I try to write the kind of logs I’d enjoy reading. I also try to keep my log in the spirit of the cache. Which sometimes means embellishing a bit. Assuming the cache need some imagination to be as awesome as described the owner. But that is part of the fun for me. Putting myself in spirit of the hide. Searching for Mayan ruins in the city or a plane full of gold that crashed in forest. Some of my logs tend to be very long and OK I’ll admit it I once had to edit one because I met the limit. Hopefully at least a few people enjoy reading some of them. I’ve also written poems for a few of them. That said I have also left TFTC type logs on some too. I’m talking about most of the LPC’s. I do see why I should put more time and effort into my log than the owner put into their hide. Same with a few micro’s or nano’s I’ve found in obvious places. But if one stood out in some way, I give it some extra effort. I’ve actually gotten a nice comments on a few of my logs and that is always nice to hear. So far no one has said that didn’t like them, can I count that as OK. I’d hate to be the person others groaned about behind their backs, but how would I know that if no one told me? Maybe what we need is a rating system for logs. Or just a simple like button for each one and a place at the top to view the logs in order of most liked. It would give us something to strive for. I enjoy reading creative logs. I’ve been having a great time reading the ones for this cache, which I haven’t done yet. GCHRVB – Quantum Leap I hope to finish it as a milestone if the timing works out right. But first I have to get to the first part. Hopefully tomorrow.

I always at least thank the owner for the ;) . Sometimes, that's all I say, because that's all I got out of the cache.

I usually manage to add a few sentences about the experience, and if it's an exceptional cache (for whatever reason) I can write a paragraph or two.

If it's a real stinker, I copy and paste several paragraphs from a classic novel (Moby Dick is my favorite). It sends a message without really saying anything bad about the cache (or the owner).

I let the cache inspire me. If it was a great cache I have posted logs that don't fit in one log entry. Others have been so crappy that I never bothered to log 'em. And no. I don't feel the need to thank a cache hider for every bottom of the barrel cache that slip through my filtering.

Edit to add that I do like AZcachemeister's classic novel approach. It is (ready for it?) novel.

Edited by GOF & Bacall

I've been writing a lot, almost like a little story of the find. I suppose some people might find them stupid and tedious, but on the other hand a couple of CO's have written to me and told me how much they enjoyed my logs.

I also like to include pictures.

Who knows, maybe eventually I'll get bored and start in with the TNLN TFTC's.

Nah...

--Q

I usually write about the weather, or the trouble I had finding the cache, or any wildlife I saw (or wildlife poop, which you are far more likely to see), or any injuries, or...just anything. I tend to run off at the keyboard.

If you have trouble thinking of things to write about, twitch, post a photo or two instead. That's always appreciated.

Don't strain yourself trying to think of something clever to say about a roadside micro.

I used to LOVE getting Auntie logs on my caches. Sometimes I'd pee myself I'd be laughing so hard (not really, but close).

As a cache owner, I love reading the online logs, so I would much rather see *anything* but "TFTC", and cut & paste logs. A simple sentence like "Enjoyed the view" or "Thanks for the history lesson" would be great! But anything better than a TFTC.

Micros I always seem to write "soggy log". Those film cans are NOT waterproof.

Usually my log length is directly proportional to the effort which the cache owner has made, in finding a pretty location, a reason for being there (historical, cultural, geographical, etc), an appropriate hiding spot, and suitable receptacle.

A "thank you for bringing me to this spot" is the biggest complement I can give. I like to be shown those off-the-beaten-track woods, creeks, bluffs, gullies, and viewpoints. That is why I cache.

If you please me with a fine cache, I please you with a fine log.

I think of the logs as a potential way to capture a little moment in time. When I read logs, I like to see what was happening when people found the cache. What did they see, what kind of trip/weather did they have, etc? So that's often what I write. I have never and will never put simply "TFTC" because... that's not even a real sentence. If I'm not impressed by the cache I may simply put "Found while out with the dogs, TFTC," but I feel that's at least some kind of indication of what was going on around me.

I tried to find a topic to post this question in, but I couldn't find any that exactly fit my purpose. If this belongs somewhere else, by all means move/lock this one. ;)

I have a question about logging online. I have seen around the forums people complaining about short logs that only say things like "TFTC" or "TNLNSL". I was under the impression that that is all that's necessary/simplicity is appreciated, but now I see that people like to hear more. What kinds of things do you write in a log (Find or DNF, whichever)?

Thanks for helping out a noob. ;)

what owners hate to see is someone doing copy/paste logs

and specially ones like this: "out with cacherX and cacherY, this was my 16th of 55th today. TFTC" where only the first number changes.

Each owner is different. I like to read the longer logs, but short logs don't bother me at all. Write as much as you want or feel inspired to. You'll never be able to please every cache owner. I place caches for people to find, not to force them to relive elementary school composition writing.

write as much (or as little) as you want.

as a person that drives a train, i don't have a whole lot of words to say about an LPC. i also don't want to read a lot about it either - so i'll just not read that log. i dont' want to read about anyone driving his viper up to GZ at 1am because he "needed" the FTF... hehe. i also don't want to hear about the meds they are on causing them to stay up late -therefore it is the excuse why they are roaming a greenbelt hide at 3 am when the posted hours are 6am to 10 pm...

I tried to find a topic to post this question in, but I couldn't find any that exactly fit my purpose. If this belongs somewhere else, by all means move/lock this one. ;)

Thanks for helping out a noob. ;)

Mention something about the container, its condition - the contents. mention something about the hide, was it covered? out in the open? Mention the trail conditions - was it muddy? weeds? stickers? snow?

Mention the weather. Mention the number of people with you. Mention what brought you to the area. Tell me about your GPS. Funny story on the way to the cache - mention it. Was it night? Did you see any wildlife near the cache? How about the cell call you got?

Something - say something. Just please don't write --> TFTC - TNLNSN.

The more inspired I feel your hide is, the more likely it is to inspire a log from me. I rarely write paragraphs, but never just post TFTC, even for routine LPC's GR. etc's.

I wrote over 70 unique logs yesterday for Saturday's finds. Some mentioned something I observed at the site, some mentioned something else that might be relevant or not. Some were a series of similar containers in routine locations, so I merely posted an appropriate adjective on the flavor of the original contents of the container. A few did make me think of popular songs or movies, so I copied an appropriate quote as my log.

They already know I found the cache, hopefully my style will also make them smile when the read it.