approaching landowner

WhistlingWind

Any advice on securing permission from the landowner when looking for a BM on private property?

I live in semi-rural area and nearby are couple

of BMs I've been wanting to visit. The owners live on the property, so I don't want to just

trapse over there (I'm not inclined to trespass

anyway).

What have people found works best, just knocking on the door, a letter?

How does one explain benchmark hunting?

Any advice on approaches is appreciated.

W. Wind

Under normal circumstances, just walking up and asking them about it should be fine. Many people are not aware of markers on their property, so they would need an explanation, and some will be skeptical and suspicious even then. If there is any reason to suspect that the owner might be upset about being approached face to face, a letter would be appropriate. Once they fully understand the real nature of the markers, most people are proud to have one on their property, and I have met several who are even anxious to show them to anybody who is interested.

In some situations a printout of the data sheet can give you a little legitimacy. Alternatively, a map printout with the BM waypoint on it is a quick way to convey where you want to go, and helps demonstrate that you aren't just making up a story.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

quote:
Originally posted by embra:

In some situations a printout of the data sheet can give you a little legitimacy. Alternatively, a map printout with the BM waypoint on it is a quick way to convey where you want to go, and helps demonstrate that you aren't just making up a story.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

I've used this to show to police, when asking directions, etc. It helps augment your explanation.

icon_razz.gif Every one that I have recovered from private lands,once I explained that I was with Geocaching.com icon_wink.gif,and the Freedom corps icon_wink.gifand generaly explain why icon_razz.gif,they agree whole heartedly icon_mad.gif.Some have even stated that recent surveyors icon_confused.giftold them the marks were elsewhere,and they icon_smile.gif,the landowners, have a great pride in knowing where they are,the icon_rolleyes.gifhistory behind them,and protection icon_cool.gif of them.I have also learned a great deal from the oldtimers,whom usually owns the place,and their families before them,already know where the marks are,they have fun showing you. icon_biggrin.gif

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN* http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

Knocking on the door and asking the landowner in person would probably be the easiest for all parties involved - both you and the land owner. A letter could get lost or ignored and then you'll never know. Most property owners that I've met know where the markers are on, or near their property. Especially if they've been there for very long, or if their properties are large. (It seems the larger the property, the more thay know about it.) I've met some land owners who, when I told them what I was doing, actually took me to the benchmark I was looking for and then proceeded to show me some other points I didn't know about. (Not all NGS benchmarks, but important points all the same, like section corners or property corners.)

Also, be prepared to hear that they may not want you on their property. I heard that just today. I was looking at a benchmark on a bridge abutment near a large cattle farm and the owner came out to see what I was doing. When I explained it to him, he thought it was an interesting 'hobby'. He proceeded to tell me about four other similar brasscaps on a hill on his property and explained that he didn't want me there. That was ok with me. There are plenty of others in public areas for me to find.

Simply said: just ask. The worst you can hear is 'No'.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I did ask for and get permission to search for the benchmark. It was a named triangulation mark

that shows up on the local topo map.

I drove up while and introduced myself to what turned out to be the new tenant as he was feeding his horses. I explained that he had a 'geodetic marker' on the top of the knoll some 100 yards away that was placed there in 1947, and would he mind if I looked for it and took a picture. I said it was a hobby and didn't mean that anyone was going to come surveying. One thing that really helped was to have the printed description and page from topozone on hand. I explained that a USCGS triangulation mark was pretty special and and important monument as demonstrated by the 3 reference marks just to help find the thing and they buried another disc 2.5' under the surface mark just in case. I offered to leave my info with him. He thought this was pretty cool and said he'd show the landlord who had a keen interest in the history of his property.

I found the mark and emailed him the pics.

I think what really helped:

- having the description and topo-map

- explained the signifigance and unique-ness (like someone said earlier the landowner can be proud of having a BM.

- identifying myself by first and last name

- it helped that I was local

- offering to leave all the benchmark info

W. Wind