Dakota 20: problem with Where To? -> Addresses

I've just bought a Dakota 20, which I've update to the latest firmware. The ability to navigate to an address seems a pretty good idea, so I was pleased to see "Addresses" listed under "Where To?" - until I tried to use it. Even though it correctly puts my location in Cornwall, UK (and hence should permit entry of UK addresses) the wretched device wants to know in which state/province the address is and won't accept Cornwall, UK, or Britain. At first I thought that it might be looking for a North American state or province, so I tried Quebec, South Dakota, and Delaware - also to no avail; it keeps reporting that no results were found and suggests that I adjust my search parameters.

I've tried looking through the manual, but can't find this feature. Thus I suspect it was added with the latest firmware and Garmin haven't tested properly or else it'll only work if I buy an additional product that has the required address data.

Has anyone got this feature working, or can shed light on the subject?

TIA,

Geoff

I've just bought a Dakota 20, which I've update to the latest firmware. The ability to navigate to an address seems a pretty good idea, so I was pleased to see "Addresses" listed under "Where To?" - until I tried to use it. Even though it correctly puts my location in Cornwall, UK (and hence should permit entry of UK addresses) the wretched device wants to know in which state/province the address is and won't accept Cornwall, UK, or Britain. At first I thought that it might be looking for a North American state or province, so I tried Quebec, South Dakota, and Delaware - also to no avail; it keeps reporting that no results were found and suggests that I adjust my search parameters.

I've tried looking through the manual, but can't find this feature. Thus I suspect it was added with the latest firmware and Garmin haven't tested properly or else it'll only work if I buy an additional product that has the required address data.

Has anyone got this feature working, or can shed light on the subject?

TIA,

Geoff

Do you have mapping software installed on it?

The Dakota 20 will not route to an address out of the box as the basemap that comes with the unit is not complex enough. You will need to buy separate mapping software for it, which will run you anywhere from $70-$100 US. Garmin Maps. You will need the City Navigator maps to be able to route to addresses.

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

The Dakota 20 will not route to an address out of the box as the basemap that comes with the unit is not complex enough. You will need to buy separate mapping software for it, which will run you anywhere from $70-$100 US. Garmin Maps. You will need the City Navigator maps to be able to route to addresses.

I have Talkytoaster's OSM-based routable mapping installed. This seems to work well for on-road navigation to waypoints, with arrows overlaid on each turn to take. I guess that it's the mapping and not the GPSr that has the address information and that OSM doesn't provide this.

Thanks for the reply.

Geoff

I have Talkytoaster's OSM-based routable mapping installed. This seems to work well for on-road navigation to waypoints, with arrows overlaid on each turn to take. I guess that it's the mapping and not the GPSr that has the address information and that OSM doesn't provide this.

Thanks for the reply.

Geoff

Yeah, you will need to buy the Garmin City Navigator maps in order to utilize the address lookup features. 3rd party map software such as the Talkytoaster maps you have are only useful in providing the visual maps themselves, not the address meta data.

Sorry to break it to you. Good luck ;)