HTC phones

Which HTC phones? If it's one of the Android-based HTC phones, then there are already threads about the Android version of the Geocaching.com app, which is currently in beta testing.

My son has the driod and under the app it says if you get caught using it you will be banned from the site. I do not know why?? were are the other threads?????

So what I have read is that it is a violation of the TOC's and wait for the droid app??? That app is in beta testing and waiting for release...
No. There is one specific Android app that violates the Groundspeak TOU. Unfortunately, I can't tell you which one, because Groundspeak has decided to prohibit discussion of the app in their forums.

Naturally, the official Groundspeak app will not violate their TOU. It will probably cost some nominal fee though.

But there are other alternatives. For example, I use GeoBeagle, a free open-source app that respects the Groundspeak TOU.

Which HTC phones? If it's one of the Android-based HTC phones, then there are already threads about the Android version of the Geocaching.com app, which is currently in beta testing.

My son has the driod and under the app it says if you get caught using it you will be banned from the site. I do not know why?? were are the other threads?????

Which app?

I'm guessing that the one you found is a "Screen scraper" style one like GCzII for Windows Mobile which violates the Groundspeak TOU. If you use such an app (hint: if it's not an official app and can do "live" searching for caches, it likely violates the Groundspeak TOU) you can potentially get banned.

There should be other apps that allow you to save a Pocket Query (requires Premium membership - WORTH THE MONEY!) and then load that PQ within the App, eliminating the need for "Screen scraping".

Also, in the future, you need to specify what operating system, not which manufacturer, since many manufacturers are now making both Windows Mobile and Android based phones. (HTC is a longtime Windows Mobile handset manufacturer, and has more recently partnered with Google for hardware design of Android devices.)

I assume you mean Droid Incredible, since the regular Droid is made by Motorola.

Edit: There are a few threads in this forum which cover geocaching on Android devices. I haven't read either of them, but they should be easy to find since they explicitly mention Android in the subject line.

Edited by Entropy512

i have the HTC Touch pro 2... not a droid... So far, it looks to me like i can get cachemate on my phone? I'd love to find an app (cuz i need 1 more gadget in my arsenal!!), but my options are looking very non-existant at this point... (I've used cache mate, but, between my geomate jr & my delorme, im hesitant to spend the $ on it when i don't REALLY need it....) :rolleyes:

That comment was made by me...the App your son has downloaded is the one we are not allowed to talk about.

Trust me i got suspended from the forums for talking about it!

Does anyone know if there is or is there going to be an geocaching app for HTC phones?

I have been using GeoBeagle for a few months now and was ready to drop it until Verison pushed the Droid 2.1 to my phone(HTC Droid Eris). Last weekend I took my phone and Garmin out to compare. The phone actually performed as well as the GPS. GeoBeagle is the only app I've tried, but at the time it was most popular and rated the best.

Funny thing is i requested help with both Find Caches and Geohunter on the HTC Desire forums, and every reply said not to bother with those apps use this one (marked for app that cannot be named)

probably not allowed to post the link so i suggest you google for Android Forums and go from there.

Funny thing is i requested help with both Find Caches and Geohunter on the HTC Desire forums, and every reply said not to bother with those apps use this one (marked for app that cannot be named)

It took a while to figure out which app was the banned one. Even the mods wouldn't respond to PM's about it. Anyways I used the banned app a couple of times and really didn't like it. I can't figure why there is so much positive reviews for an app that has such a crappy interface. The only thing I can think of is all the positive reviews are from those who don't want to pay an insignificant $30 a year for Pocket Queries.

Anyways the first app I downloaded was a legal query using app called GeOrg. I really like the 3D topo map. It doesn't have landscape view, but it's coming.

Thanks for the help! I have a HTC Touch plus 2 and would like a good app for caching but dont want to be a beta tester.

If you mean the HTC Touch Pro2, that is a Windows Mobile 6 based device (not Android), and will NEVER see an official Groundspeak application for it (Windows Mobile is now a defunct mobile platform, replaced by Windows Phone 7)

The best app for the Windows Mobile platform is GCzII, which can be used with Pocket Queries (and thus not violating the TOU). Hopefully a third party developer will develop one for Windows Mobile once the API is opened up in the spring.

Thanks for the help! I have a HTC Touch plus 2 and would like a good app for caching but dont want to be a beta tester.

If you mean the HTC Touch Pro2, that is a Windows Mobile 6 based device (not Android), and will NEVER see an official Groundspeak application for it (Windows Mobile is now a defunct mobile platform, replaced by Windows Phone 7)

The best app for the Windows Mobile platform is GCzII, which can be used with Pocket Queries (and thus not violating the TOU). Hopefully a third party developer will develop one for Windows Mobile once the API is opened up in the spring.

Have a Touch Pro 2 as well and installed GCzII this morning. Liking it so far!