What I THE BEST GPS Unit for geocaching?

billinan

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but What I THE BEST GPS Unit for geocaching? I tried searching this site and tried the FAQ's, for an answer, without luck. I am currently using a Garmin GPSMap 276 "fishfinder," which I originally purchased for boating and traveling, since it does Auto and Marine. It get's me in the general vincinity but is not Micro Cache friendly. My secondary GPS is my Palm Pre cell phone and, not only does it seem less accurate than my Garmin, the Geocaching software eats battery life on the phone. I've only found three Caches using my devices and I am hooked on this sport. Unfortunately, I get frustrated easily while walking back and forth having the target jump and then jump again. I need better accuracy.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Edited by billinan

Your question was nowhere in your post and there was a typo in your title but I think your question is "what is the best GPS for geocaching?" There's really no way to answer that. For me the best is the Garmin Oregon 450, but some people hate touchscreens, or can afford better, or don't think the added features are worth it vs. the Dakota, or one of a hundred different possibilities. I would say in general a rugged GPS designed for outdoors use, and with a good battery life (15-20h), from then on you start at $100 and work your way up depending on what features are important to you.

Everyone could answer this question a bit differently. I love my Colorado, but apparently not enough people did and it is being discontinued. The Garmin 60csx is rock solid, but is about ready to be replaced by a new model (which means there are some good deals on it at the moment). I used to cache with an Explorist that was great in its time, and now there is one dedicated to geocaching. I am not a big fan of the Oregon, some people love it. The answer always depends on the features, how you want to use it, and the price.

The GPS and Technology forum has several threads that might help you, including a pinned thread that offer several comparisons. The Groundspeak gpsr user reviews can give you a good sense of what cachers have thought of various units.

I love my Magellan Explorist GC! I had a Garmin Venture HC and it was great too, would still be using it if I hadn't left it on top of the truck when I drove off from a cache. :) It all depends on what you want and what you're will to spend. It's like asking what the best vehicle ever made. While we all know it's the Jeep Rubicon, some just refuse to admit it! :)

Look around and buy the most GPS you can afford. I say this because I bought a lower end GPS to begin with. I have since upgrade 3 times. If I had started out with the high end GPS I could have saved a lot of money. I am using a 60CX which does everything I need it to do. It would be nice to have one of the new touch screen Garmins since they also store all the cache information, but my PDA does that so I will keep some of my money and waste it on something else.

:)

I love my Magellan Explorist GC! I had a Garmin Venture HC and it was great too, would still be using it if I hadn't left it on top of the truck when I drove off from a cache. :) It all depends on what you want and what you're will to spend. It's like asking what the best vehicle ever made. While we all know it's the Jeep Rubicon, some just refuse to admit it! :)

You meant the Toyota FJ Cruiser right? :D JK! Thanks for the advice everyone!

No, he was right about the Jeep, nothing else compares, only competes miserably! Anyways, back on topic, since you're a boater as well, check out

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Colorado-Port...3923&sr=8-1

It's a great unit for caching (the best in my opinion), but since it has the inland lake maps, its good for boating too. And it's on sale for $199.

While still new at this, with only 111 finds under our belt, I have found that our Etrex Vista HCX has been adequete. I would like to be able to do paperless caching, but am satisfied with what we have for now. I will probably upgrade before too long to something better.

As far as the caching vehicles go, I would have to stick with our 2010 Honda Pilot. 4X4 when needed, Comfortably seats 8 cachers, has 110 plugs for plugging in a laptop, and a rear DVD system for watching movies while on those long caching drives for the kiddos. Love it!!!

No, he was right about the Jeep, nothing else compares, only competes miserably! Anyways, back on topic, since you're a boater as well, check out

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Colorado-Port...3923&sr=8-1

It's a great unit for caching (the best in my opinion), but since it has the inland lake maps, its good for boating too. And it's on sale for $199.

thanks for the link!!!

Even the most accurate, sensitive GPS receivers will "bounce" your position around quite a bit, making it frustrating to home in on the cache. I like units that show aerial photo view maps with the cache icon superimposed. That way you can see the relative surrounding features. Many cell phones that have internet access can let you pull up the geocaching.com web page for this map view. The GPS receiver in most cellphones are way inferior to a dedicated handheld unit, but the aerial photo map makes that a moot point.

I think the best gps is the one that I own. It is much better than one that I don't own.

That being said. I have been looking at upgrading since mine was just a cheapy that I bought to see what it was all about. I would love one that does paperless geocaching since I have learned that those notes can be darn handy when searching for a cache.

I would love one that is accurate to a yard. Not for geocaching but I do find myself wanting to measure distances that I would love to have the measurement more accurate. Last week, I tested mine against a measuring wheel and it was off 12 feet. I was actually pretty happy with that but it would be nice to be more accurate more often. Any advice on that would be great.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Magellan Explorist GC vs. the Garmin Colorado 400i. I've been a Garmin man all my life but I am leaning towards the Magellan because I think it would be a little more stealthy, it is set up for Geocaching, and comes with a free month's Premium Membership here if I'm reading correctly. Thanks for all the wonderful advice.

Edited by billinan

I think I've narrowed it down to the Magellan Explorist GC vs. the Garmin Colorado 400i. I've been a Garmin man all my life but I am leaning towards the Magellan because I think it would be a little more stealthy, it is set up for Geocaching, and comes with a free month's Premium Membership here if I'm reading correctly. Thanks for all the wonderful advice.

The Colorado also comes with a free premium membership for a month. The biggest difference is the Colorado is made for hiking, and the Explorist is designed for geocaching (which in some areas means lifting a lampskirt) Remember when you buy it: though this is from other posts, not from experience, I've heard that magellan is often far off of the correct location.

The Colorado also comes with a free premium membership for a month. The biggest difference is the Colorado is made for hiking, and the Explorist is designed for geocaching (which in some areas means lifting a lampskirt) Remember when you buy it: though this is from other posts, not from experience, I've heard that magellan is often far off of the correct location.

The more I think about it, the 450 would be more versatile, it would be nice to have a back up for the boat, and I don't want to tie myself down to one activity. decisions, decisions, decisions. My wife will shoot me if I spend that much for another GPS. LOL!!

Oh, how's the battery life on the 450?

Edited by billinan

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but What I THE BEST GPS Unit for geocaching? I tried searching this site and tried the FAQ's, for an answer, without luck. I am currently using a Garmin GPSMap 276 "fishfinder," which I originally purchased for boating and traveling, since it does Auto and Marine. It get's me in the general vincinity but is not Micro Cache friendly. My secondary GPS is my Palm Pre cell phone and, not only does it seem less accurate than my Garmin, the Geocaching software eats battery life on the phone. I've only found three Caches using my devices and I am hooked on this sport. Unfortunately, I get frustrated easily while walking back and forth having the target jump and then jump again. I need better accuracy.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

I think if you're looking for what the mainstream user's answer to "the best GPSr for geocaching" is, it would probably be the soon-to-be-released Garmin GPSMAP 62. For years, the 60csx has been considered the GPS for everyone. It is solid, accurate, stable and feature packed. The only thing lacking from it in order to make it the premier geocaching GPSr though is true paperless caching. That's it really. Yeah the mapping capability is a little dated, but it still works great even by today's standards. However in terms of geocaching, paperless caching is what's hot right now.

I personally think the PN-40 is an excellent geocaching GPSr, but I can see how it might be too complicated for entry level cachers.

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

The more I think about it, the 450 would be more versatile, it would be nice to have a back up for the boat, and I don't want to tie myself down to one activity. decisions, decisions, decisions. My wife will shoot me if I spend that much for another GPS. LOL!!

Yeah, if you want it for other activities, then don't get the GC. I love it, but it's definitely dedicated to geocaching.

I love my Magellan Explorist GC! I had a Garmin Venture HC and it was great too, would still be using it if I hadn't left it on top of the truck when I drove off from a cache. :huh: It all depends on what you want and what you're will to spend. It's like asking what the best vehicle ever made. While we all know it's the Jeep Rubicon, some just refuse to admit it! ;)

You meant the Toyota FJ Cruiser right? :( JK! Thanks for the advice everyone!

Being as I work for Toyota, I won't comment. ;)

I am currently using a Garmin GPSMap 276 ... It get's me in the general vincinity but is not Micro Cache friendly.

The 276 is as accurate a GPSr as anything else on the market. While the package is larger, the GPSr part is the same as every other GPSr that Garmin sells. There is no need to run out and buy a new one for the reasons you've stated.

There is no such thing as a "micro cache friendly" GPSr. The GPSr will get you to within 20 feet. The rest is luck of the day's satellite constellation minus the error experienced by the cache hider. Thus, when you get to GZ, or technically within 20' of it, put the GPSr away and start looking.

That said, the "best" GPSr is the Garmin GPSMap 76CSx and that's all there is to say about that, until I get to the point where I buy the Garmin Oregon 400t, then the 76 will be the 2nd best GPSr.

I love my Magellan Explorist GC! I had a Garmin Venture HC and it was great too, would still be using it if I hadn't left it on top of the truck when I drove off from a cache. :anibad: It all depends on what you want and what you're will to spend. It's like asking what the best vehicle ever made. While we all know it's the Jeep Rubicon, some just refuse to admit it! :rolleyes:

WHAT!!!! Cheep Rubican ;):) Oregon 400t works for me and so does the Toyota FJ B)B)B)

about 3 hours with alkaline batteries, and 16 hours with NiMH ones. (I now use NiMH, because they're rechargeable.)

about 3 hours with alkaline batteries, and 16 hours with NiMH ones. (I now use NiMH, because they're rechargeable.)

So the rechargeables last longer??? Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed it. Thanks for you help. Come Wednesday, i'll be sleeping on the couch. LOL!

So, $199 later I thought I had the answer to this question as I purchased a Magellan eXplorist GC. It seemed like a sensible purchase, good reviews, good price yadda yadda yadda... What Magellan fails to state is that they are experiencing "a rare difficulty" that does not allow the communicator to communicate with Groundspeak. I must say my wife's iphone was seemlessly navigated to within 2 feet of our last cache, logged it in and found the next cache all within an hour of us being Muggles. A trip back to the store to return the $200 paperweight then back to the drawing board for me and the family. I will be keeping my eye on what transpiers on this thread.

I'm glad ADT talked me out of Magellan eXplorist. I'll update you when I receive my Garmin Oregon 450 GPSr and let you know what I think. I just hope my current Garmin Mapsource and Blue Chart software will be compatible and easy to transfer. Yet another reason to stick with Garmin, I already have a lot of their software and the Blue Chart Marine program was not cheap.

Edited by billinan

I'm glad ADT talked me out of Magellan eXplorist. I'll update you when I receive my Garmin Oregon 450 GPSr and let you know what I think. I just hope my current Garmin Mapsource and Blue Chart software will be compatible and easy to transfer. Yet another reason to stick with Garmin, I already have a lot of their software and the Blue Chart Marine program was not cheap.

those maps will work, but I don't know whether or not you can have them on multiple devices.

By the way, I probably should mention: my friend is getting a Magellan eXplorist GC... She could get it for free with her air miles so...

I believe that the Oregon is a very good GPS for a newbie. Just remember one thing: you will need to recalibrate your compass after every battery change. Hopefully there won't be too many!

I started with a GPS MAPS 76S, it did the job, but I couldn't do paperless. Just recently I had a great deal on a Colorado 300 so I upgraded and I like it so far. I met several people using the Etrex and they like them, they are between $100 and $130 depending and work well according to the users I've met. Once you get to within a few meters of the cache your gps should go in your pocket and let your eyes and brain do the work anyway. Good luck. :rolleyes:

Niknodders

So, $199 later I thought I had the answer to this question as I purchased a Magellan eXplorist GC. It seemed like a sensible purchase, good reviews, good price yadda yadda yadda... What Magellan fails to state is that they are experiencing "a rare difficulty" that does not allow the communicator to communicate with Groundspeak. I must say my wife's iphone was seemlessly navigated to within 2 feet of our last cache, logged it in and found the next cache all within an hour of us being Muggles. A trip back to the store to return the $200 paperweight then back to the drawing board for me and the family. I will be keeping my eye on what transpiers on this thread.

Not sure what problem you are referring to, but mine has worked flawlessly every time. Haven't seen this problem on the Magellan boards either.

Looking at your profile, you have 2 finds and only cached for 1 day, are you sure the problem couldn't have been experience related?

Eddie, I have a bit of experience using GPS's to navigate to specific points on a map. When it comes to this activity, I just need the hours to find the hidden swag and log it in but all in due time. I wish Magellan Tech support could have helped me work the issue out but for the hour they were assisting me they could not. I hope you can understand that after seeing how uncomplicated the iphone was compared to the three hours trying to upload caches how frustrating it was to be experiencing this from a device that is brad new and dedicated to Geocacheing. Just think of how many I could have found in those three hours! I guess that's why you guys enjoy this activity so much. :rolleyes:

Premium membership on GS.com, Garmin GPS ( I love my Oregon, but I love my Map60CSX more) and you should be good to go.

If you download GSAK, you can find alot of macros that will make your non-paperless GPS more paperless friendly. Hints, D/T..there are several things you can do to make your "non paperless" GPS into a "somewhat paperless" GPS.

Eddie, I have a bit of experience using GPS's to navigate to specific points on a map. When it comes to this activity, I just need the hours to find the hidden swag and log it in but all in due time. I wish Magellan Tech support could have helped me work the issue out but for the hour they were assisting me they could not. I hope you can understand that after seeing how uncomplicated the iphone was compared to the three hours trying to upload caches how frustrating it was to be experiencing this from a device that is brad new and dedicated to Geocacheing. Just think of how many I could have found in those three hours! I guess that's why you guys enjoy this activity so much. :rolleyes:

I completely understand. Sorry to hear you had such a hard time. I didn't mean to sound like you didn't know what you were doing with a GPS, I meant with this particular unit. The only real problem I have read so far is loading with GSAK, apparently if some one uses 3 exclamation points in a row in their field notes, it will cause a buffer overrun and lock the unit up when loading. That's a problem with GSAK though, it doesn't happen downloading straight from the site. To say they have a problem based on the experience of one person, doesn't seem fair though. Maybe your unit was bad since support couldn't help you, it happens with all manufacturers, that's why they have return policies.

Happy caching and hope you have better luck with your next unit.

Premium membership on GS.com, Garmin GPS ( I love my Oregon, but I love my Map60CSX more) and you should be good to go.

If you download GSAK, you can find alot of macros that will make your non-paperless GPS more paperless friendly. Hints, D/T..there are several things you can do to make your "non paperless" GPS into a "somewhat paperless" GPS.

Excuse my ignorance but what is "GSAK?"

Excuse my ignorance but what is "GSAK?"

Geocaching Swiss Army Knife. www.gsak.net

It has many many different features, but mainly it helps in managing caches based upon what requirements you really want, in that it is even more detailed than the pocket query options. It's especially helpful for GPS units that don't have paperless features as it makes it possible to upload descriptions, hints and logs that you normally would have to manually enter. You can try it out for free, but after a certain period of time, I think a month, it will start giving you a nagging pop up screen advising you to buy the membership.

I love my Magellan Explorist GC!

I love mine too!

I've heard that magellan is often far off of the correct location.

I've been to 1-3 meters away from GZ with mine on five occasions. That's pretty darn impressive if you ask me.

Yeah, if you want it for other activities, then don't get the GC. I love it, but it's definitely dedicated to geocaching.

Quoted for truth.

Edited by breaultm